• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

How do i know when scale has a sharp note, for instance in the A scale, or the B scale

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
There are two ways to know the sharps and flats in a scale. The first way is to know the pattern of the scale on the fretboard and just look at what the notes are in that position. The second way is to memorize what flats and sharps are in each key. For most traditional instruments this is the only way.

• Love
Reactions: Chris Johnston

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hi guys!, i was watching papa gates lesson about the CAGED system and i found myself not knowing how to play the A scale, so how exactly do i know how to play it, and how do i know when there's a sharp note on the scale, Thanks!
    You can Jump some Lessons ahead to the First of the intermediate section and watch the one about the "circle of 5ths". That should Help :)

Also don't worry If you don't know everything PG mentiones in a lesson right away. He Sometimes uses Things He hasn't taught yet to demonstrate something. Just keep at it and ask questions Like you did Here If you don't get it!

ari.mac

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 16, 2020
    Italy
    As the guys above me already mentioned, you could built the scale yourself knowing the structure or you go to the circle of fifth lesson ( I did both, I first created the scales on my own by building them according to structure and then I watched the circle of fifths lesson that clarified everything) there are also really nice videos on youtube about the circle of fifths that really helped me too.

Last edited:

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    If you're unsure of these things then getting these three crucial things down will really help:

1. Knowing how the notes are laid out on the Low E String of your Guitar - This will be how you identify the A note that starts off your A scale (it's 5th fret for reference) - https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FuId0zbxRs0/TgUsHV9OkBI/AAAAAAAADig/yq3JEDN9XMA/s400/low+E+string.bmp

2. Knowing a Major Scale Shape - This will be what you play from that A note to make the A Major Scale (A scale) you just move the shape around to the different notes on your low E string to get all the other Major Scales - (You would make the Red dots on this diagram line up with 5th fret basically) https://www.liveabout.com/thmb/gOy0...)/major_1st_posn-56a461675f9b58b7d0d6ad8a.gif

3. Watching the video below :LOL: - If there's any advice I'd give to every Guitarist on here it's to get your Major Scales Memorized like your timetables - without your Guitar (This video taught me how to do it) All you need is paper and some free time. The idea is that if you know instantly that the notes in A Major are: A B C# D E F# G# - then, as you play through your Major Scale shape you know which notes you're landing on :giggle: I promise that this is one of the best things that you can do for your Understanding of the Guitar/Music! There are only 12 Major Scales to Memorize, so it's more than doable.

Hope this helped!

Synner Endless Summer Collection