• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

I been slacking on practice

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It's a weird time in the world right now. Some people find it inspiring and are doing more than ever. Others, like me (and probably you) are feeling a little depressed and a lot lethargic about it. What I'm doing is reaffirming my commitment to the instrument - that even on days I can't manage to PRACTICE, that I at least PLAY for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes that turns into more. Sometimes that's enough for me to want to do my practice routine. Sometimes it isn't.

And I have to tell myself that that's okay. And MEAN it.

Shit affects people in different ways. If you feel like giving up a lot, you're definitely not alone right now. Allow yourself to feel it while fighting the effects of it when you can.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    that even on days I can't manage to PRACTICE, that I at least PLAY for 10-15 minutes. Sometimes that turns into more. Sometimes that's enough for me to want to do my practice routine. Sometimes it isn't.

And I have to tell myself that that's okay. And MEAN it.

Shit affects people in different ways. If you feel like giving up a lot, you're definitely not alone right now. Allow yourself to feel it while fighting the effects of it when you can.
    This is very good advice. I have these days right now with my thesis a lot but I try to at least do something worthwhile everyday. I do also at least play a little bit guitar every single day even if it is only 15 minutes. Like I just noodle a little bit and when I find something I like I end up spending 1-2 hours or so writing a song.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    I mean Ed is right (#whatedsaid), this affect everybody different. Some days I cannot let the guitar down and others I kinda have to push myself. I would say, which is what works for me, watch your idols play, listen to music and try to look for songs you always wanted to play and see if they are as hard as you remember. You will get over this. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun first and foremost!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    I am one of those that wouldn't stop playing and I think the reason is that at home we are listening to music all the time and I'm always like "I need to learn this song...", "this song is sooo good, I wanna play it..." and I think this is what really keeps my motivation so high, so I would follow @Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar 's advice. Try to play what you like, what you really enjoy. And if you don't feel like playing it's ok too, be kind to yourself

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    I mean Ed is right (#whatedsaid), this affect everybody different. Some days I cannot let the guitar down and others I kinda have to push myself. I would say, which is what works for me, watch your idols play, listen to music and try to look for songs you always wanted to play and see if they are as hard as you remember. You will get over this. Don't be too hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun first and foremost!
    This is weird. For the first three weeks of lockdown I was in top shape and I played guitar most of my day. Now I just feel lazy about everything and I just don't want to do or have the energy to do anything. But that's improving since I'm trying to get back on a routine. I guess that's just a collateral effect over my mood because I'm always home.

Ben newton

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    www.instagram.com
    Practice what initially inspired you to pick up the guitar in the first place. The idea with this is the reason why you picked up the guitar in the first place must have been a strong enough reason to be motivated to practice. Or try going to other way with it. I find in similar moments that sometimes its cool to learn a style or genre you've never played before. It can feel a breath of fresh air.

Also, is there a reason you are aware of that has put out the fire? I sometimes feel unmotivated for the following;

- I haven't slept enough (in which case I need more early nights)
    - I haven't eaten enough (in which case I should just eat more, yay!)
    - I'm practicing songs that take more time to perfect (in which case, I need to find more short term goals)
    - I play the same thing over and over, causing frustration (in which case I need to avoid repetition
    - I don't practice enough, and I blame myself for it (in which case I need to organise my time)

Ed's right though. Completely agree. I am completely knackered from doing nothing, and have probably knocked my sleeping pattern about 6 hours ahead (or behind, I'm not quite sure these days!) Just know, and I mean JUST KNOW, this is all temporary. I've started practicing and listening to bands that inspired me again, such as BFMV, Black Stone Cherry, Sum 41 and also even given in to some cheesy pop stuff for easy listening. Keep music varied and hopefully something you either haven't listened to before or something you haven't listened to in years will push the motivation.

Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection
    Organizing makes me want to jump at it. To have a week long of practice item scheduled takes me a very long way.

If I don't get to practice any given day, I'll distribute the pendings throughout the week or move the days accordingly.

If you set small goals for the week, the feeling of accomplishment once you achieve said goals drives you to keep going.

Also, try setting micro-goals for each practice session and for each practice item, does the same as what I mentioned above about weekly goals.

Mindset takes a huge tool on your overall practice and results!

Reactions: Nocturne

Kai C

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    Honestly what @Ed Seith said. You might just need a break from some or all aspects of learning. I've been focusing on my art rather than guitar.

For one is, and I'm sad to say it, I've pull away from this school. I love this community and want to do what Syn says and have those "aha moments" and share them right away. But honestly when I'm confined like this, that pressure is just one more thing to worry about. And I'd rather rediscover what got me to pick this up rather than try to impress anyone.

Maybe play easier songs and play the rhythm and whole song instead of the solo. I try and get a few minutes a day, sometimes with a metronome and most without. Not worrying about the theory (yet). As a noobie I'm realizing I've been learning the playbook first without jumping into the sport.

Definitely play what you actually like to play. I broke it down to 3 bands I actually want to play and none of them are my favorite band (Avenged). My picks are System of a Down, Pink Floyd, and Asian Kung Fu Generation (if you've watched anime you've probably heard them at some point). What are yours? Hope that helps, stay safe out there.

Reactions: Nocturne