Introduction To Simple Chords – Em & G – Lesson 12

Mathmilam

Garage band Groupie
Feb 12, 2020
When learning to Fret the notes of chords I would often take my picking hand out of the equation and just focus on manipulating my fretting hands fingers into the proper positions. Once i had that down I would focus on synchronizing both hands.

• Wow
Reactions: ellena7x
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Radu-Cristian Perde

Hot Topic Tourer
Staff member
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Just to make sense in my head. What is the difference between a minor chord and a major chord?
    Well, if we go purely on theory, its often about the placement of the third. So, for exemple a chord is made from a root, its third and its fifth. If we take this exemple, what will determine if its Major or minor is the placement of the third.

So if its Major, its gonna be the root, Major third and fifth. If its minor, its gonna be the root, minor third and fifth. The minor third is one half step (so one fret lower) than the third. here is an exemple

This is an E Major:

-0-
    -0-
    -1-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

This is an E minor:

-0-
    -0-
    -0-
    -2-
    -2-
    -0-

just notice that its the difference in one single note between those two. And the only note that changed is the third of the D major scale which is a G# in major and a G in minor!

In a purely sonically perspective, its true, the major chords sound happier while the minors one sound sadder! I hope it helps, dont hesitate to ask if my explanation wasnt clear

Last edited: