• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Learning The Fretboard – Lesson 42

Synner Endless Summer Collection

megalizzie

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Legend
  • Nov 11, 2021
    Virginia
    Okay so I am working on this right now! I have written out all the A notes, B notes, C notes, and D notes so far and I think I finally understand the chromatic setup of the guitar and how high up the neck the octaves go.

I don't think of the violin as "chromatic" because I'm realizing more and more that I play violin by ear! So this is fun, I'm learning a lot.

Stay tuned for whatever I finally start understanding once I finish notes E-G :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Ed Seith

Syxguns

One Stringer
  • Feb 8, 2023
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, love the lesson but it seemed a little daunting. I did some research and found fantastic information about learning the notes on the guitar. It's a 9-page PDF document I wrote with images I created to help you along the way. This is for guitar students. I start with octaves to learn note names. There are four different octave patterns that I use.

There are a total of 8 exercises for you to follow. I would suggest taking your time with each one and not progressing until you have the last lesson down pat.

Good luck to all on this journey with me, and I hope I am able to assist you where I can.

Attachments

• A_Neck_And_Pesky_Notes.pdf
      620.3 KB · Views: 102
    Last edited:
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Syxguns Yes it's helpful, I meant the Octave shape 2-frets back 3-strings down. It's like the C shape but not playing the middle strings :D was doing it but didn't realize it's the same note.
    I started naming the notes, first exercise, after getting comfortable with it I'll try the next part.

Last edited:

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    with the circle of fifths, do I start on C include it in 5 parts get E then include that and count 4 back and get G. Is that how to get basic chords? I tested it on the G chord and got G-B-D, that's G Major?

Never mind it doesn't work on the D chord, it's first 4 back then 5 forward, D-F#-A

Last edited: