• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Minor Blues & Stormy Monday Changes - Lesson 10

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
How does Eric Clapton plays it here?
Also can anyone please tell me how to phrase blues like Eric Clapton? Blues is quite difficult I am beginning to understand, I'll have to go over this series many times to fully grasp it.
Honestly, if you go over this lesson and understand it you can probably figure out what he's doing.

How to phrase the blues like Eric Clapton is kind of a different thing. Generally speaking Eric Clapton is a very lyrical player so he's usually kinda melodic and kinda talks with his guitar if you will. But like Calvin said the easiest way to find how he does it is by learning his songs.

Reactions: fake_tourist

fake_tourist

One Stringer
Feb 18, 2020
Listen. Listen. Listen. Transcribe solos you like. That's the closest you'll get to getting inside his head. You will start seeing patterns. Where he zigs and where he zags. He's a great guitarist to study - in that he works from melodies and motifs AND he seldom repeats himself.
Thanks. Also I wanted to ask, how much do blues guitarists like Eric Clapton improvise on stage? Was this performance with cream improvised completely?

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I don't know if it is relevant or not but how much music theory knowledge does Eric Clapton has to play such melodic lines and phrases?
He studied music in the sense of listening to it and adsorbing it. He knows the concepts of harmony, melody and rhythm very well but never formally learned it from a book just by playing and listening. So basically a lot of music theory in that sense but if you listen to his songs a lot and learn how to play them you may also develop an ear for it.