• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

NEW HOMEWORK: Lesson 10 And Tutorials!

J

Jak Angelescu

Ooookaaayyy…
First off, BIG thanks to Calvin for trying to do this in my absence and Hector for taking over the live feed. You both are extremely wonderful. I’m a little confused as to why no one did Calvin’s task but regardless if it’s me or someone else who decides to issue a homework challenge, we should all show support and jump on the bandwagon.
I’ll try…
Lesson 10 is very important to grasp the basic concepts of soloing over chords so here it goes.
Beginners: Find a three chord progression and demonstrate what your “6 Magic Notes” would be over those chords. Be sure to name the chord AND the corresponding notes.
Intermediate: Write a riff using the 6 magic notes over a chord progression of your choice. For example, if you were to do a basic jazz ii-V-I progression, choose a backing track that features this progression in your key signature and perform that riff each time the chords change.
Advanced: Compose your own Etude using ONLY the six magic notes a straight backing track. For example, don’t do something where the chords change every other count. Something a little more straightforward. Think “Betcha Can’t Play This” column in the guitar magazine.
++++++++++++++ALSO!!!++++++++++++++++
If you post your work here and want access to the tutorials I’ve done, let me know! As I stated on my Instagram my tutorial work is strictly for those who are active with the lessons here. It’s my way of saying “Great job, you earned it” to those who put so much work into their craft.
Tutorial List
1. Scream
2. Shepherd of Fire
3. Nightmare
4. Hail To The King
5. Buried Alive
They are not ALL completed yet. But I’m working on getting them all finished.
PLUS!
Please join me THIS SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 16th at 3pm CST to demonstrate your homework, welcome a new student, AND I’ll be having a guitar talk with Rowan and discussing her guitar insight and some valuable points we both share about guitar and beginners. Only those who have performed the homework or want to show off what they learned in a LESSON will be permitted to go live.
Love you all! We track bass and vocals next in the studio!
Jak

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Calvin, you are so rad for taking the lead in Jak’s absence on the forum! I checked out your video you posted here and that is so awesome. I love when things are just improv. It’s the coolest thing on the planet to see and just feels so soulful. I just posted a tiny improv on Lesson 10 in my riffs too actually, but mine is more based at trying to encourage beginners to post and is mostly me being silly and doesn’t pertain exactly to this homework assignment so I’m not going to post it here. Once I do get a proper video for this homework assignment, I’m going to do my best and try to remember to post it in here. And thank you, Hector, for taking over the live feed! Last week was a little busy for me, but you are still very much appreciated.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So, I just realized that it’s probably pretty hard for me to make a video out of this due to time(I have a lecture tomorrow from 9 am until 5 pm and then some social stuff after, Wednesday I have a lecture from 9 am until 7 pm and my brain will simply be completely fried, Thursday I have lectures from 1 pm until 7 pm and Friday I don’t really have any lectures I think but I do have a futsal match in the evening). Now keeping in mind that not having any lectures doesn’t nescecarily mean that I don’t have to study(It really doesn’t, I have to study at least 40 hours a week) I don’t think I have time to make a video for my homework. I already have an idea about what I want to do with my etude. So, my question is would you mind if I do my etude thingy kind of on a whim during the livestream? To make up for my incompetence I’m willing to combine it with a Q&A kinda thing.

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    I love this Jak! You are doing this very fun and interactive! I’m following as best as I can, I don’t always have time to film a video (in fact I’m late on my 2 month progress video :/ ) but I am definitely LOVING the community this is creating even outside the school and I am cheering on all of us!
    Best of luck in the studio! Can’t wait to buy your album!

J

Jak Angelescu

@calvin I absolutely love how you approach guitar. There is always this atmospheric approach to it. And you demonstrated the homework assignment perfectly! I also love the description in your video. Thank you so much for taking be so seriously because I always love listening to you play!
    @Ids If that’s what you want to do you are more than welcome to do it 🙂 there are many foreigner friends I have on here that are extremely busy with school. And when I hear what their schedules are like my brain just melts.
    @ailee Thank you so much for the support! And it’s not a problem at all if you are behind on any videos because you are technically not behind at all. You go and participate and post up what you can 🙂 I do hope to see you on the live stream this weekend because you were such a joy to have!
    @matt Don’t do anything out of promises for me my friend 🙂 no pressure. Do it for yourself when the time is right for you😘😘

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks jak. It’s amazing when I look back 2 years ago to now. The feel is so much better. I try to explain what k can since the live stream is tricky for me most weeks. Atleast this way you see what I’m trying to do.
    I’m a big math number pattern guy. So I’ll sit down and write the pattern before I even pick up the guitar. I’m not too co fident on the notes I play but it’s getting better there. So that’s why I map everything out beforehand. Easy to see the patterns also easy to explain it to you guys that way.i could show you my layouts every week if you guys wanted.

Aaron Shepanik

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hey so I just started finding this “Homework/Class” on the message boards and it looks like you guys are already a few months in. What’s the best way to get in on this—wait till next time, start from the beginning and try to catch up?

Tyrone .

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hi, um, so. Probably silly question here but. Whatcha guys talking about re: homework, lesson 10, etc? Is it like a forum run practice group?! seems cool but I only see this post in reference to it and nothing on the drop down menus…

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Rowan I liked your mini improv and I’m glad you liked mine. If you go all the way back to my 1st you can see a huge progress. Last year improving was a dream. Now it’s a reality. And I love doing it fully in rhythm first. I always make up my own rhythm track now..once YouTube ran out I got bored and now I love it. They were getting to 20 minutes lol.
    But gonna probably slow down there and focus on the homework. I did the lessons already but by that I mean I watched it and understood what pg was saying. I have not touched syns eludes yet. I am still working up pinky strength before I get into those. I know you’ll say they will help but I figure theres other areas I had to address first. I think I’m almost ready but I want to try to more basic pentatonix and arpeggios first. I want more variety before i get into the shredding he has.
    This will definitely help me there tho. I already have 2 eludes I’m gonna do.i showed jak them already. Gonna jam it out first. One is new to me I dont do it too much in my playing so it’ll be fun!
    EDIT:
    Tyrone we made this up ourselves. Well jak did. But as a group we have. We make our own projects all the time. I want really able to take part due to writing song after song the past year but I finally got them all down so I’m ready to push for more. You wont find it anywhere but here in the forums. The more active you are the more you’ll see and take part in. You’re playing will get better even if it doesnt need it.

J

Jak Angelescu

@Tyrone I am always trying to get the students to engage more on the school and take the lesson seriously. I noticed that there was a Thing of students taking the lessons but not being entirely sure on how to utilize them. And then there was a problem – at least I felt it was a problem – of many students not even doing the lessons at all. So I thought what would be fun is to issue you homework assignments so the students could have some sort of accountability. The school is great in the fact that you don’t have to actually get dressed and go show up at school. But by the same token sometimes students fall off the bandwagon if they don’t have the motivation or somebody kicking them in the butt to do it. So each week I choose a lesson and I issue a homework assignment based off of that lesson. I do it for beginners, intermediate and advanced players. Then you post up your homework assignment after a one week and you have the option to go live with me on Instagram and demonstrate it for many other viewers. You don’t have to do the homework assignments if you don’t want them they are completely optional. But I am very excited to say that many students have been partaking in the lessons and really enjoying the live stream. People who weren’t actually students of the school got excited and watched the live stream and ended up signing up.

I’ll try my best to be there! I know you are gonna be talking with Rowan about guitar beginners. Is there an overall topic for the livestream discussion? To have something prepared as far as questions or insights. Maybe motivation or practice habits?

J

Jak Angelescu

@ailee It is open for interpretation 🙂 I know for a fact that I want to have this topic of conversation with her but anybody else who gets on is more than welcome to say whatever they want to say 🙂 and I would love it that if you could come, you gave your insight as well because you had a lot of awesome points when we went live together

J

Jak Angelescu

Great work Rowan!! I’m so happy that you know Barre chord so well and your jam was really good! I heard you doing pull offs in their! Keep up the great work! I’m so happy that you know Barre chord so well and your jam was really good! I heard you doing pull offs in their! Keep up the great work!