• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

NEW HOMEWORK: Lesson 10 And Tutorials!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Rowan.. my writing is messier then you and I’m right lol mines terrible. Always typed in school.. 90s from 60s just by typing lol
Love that you are writing it down. You’re brain will memorize better that way. Your guitar.. sounds EXACTLY like my first guitar. Love it. Let me show you..

Fucking 11 years ago me. Love it. Alice in chains riffs.. kudos if you know the songs.
I’ll get to your jam now..
Like the melody a lot! I’m camera shy too dont worry. This site is great for getting over stage freight. Only suggestion I have for you.. is when you play you end note give it a little wiggle and get that vibrato going. You can eventually just make it last forever and just the vibrato alone will sound beautiful. I love it. Jerry Cantrell is a great example of how simple vibrators can sound so damn good.

RoaringRowanThunderBender

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Warrenton, NC
    rowm76.wixsite.com
    Lol, Calvin, my teachers always called my writing “chicken scratch”. I always gave them a hard time by making them read it and I would purposefully write past the margins. 😂 The only things I ever typed were essays and research papers.
    Thank you! It’s definitely a bit easier than me trying to remember everything. I think of sometimes really cool things and make myself write them down so I won’t forget them. And with lyrics, I try to record them on my phone’s memos. It definitely does sound like your guitar!
    I am familiar with Alice In Chains and a few of those songs…I could never tell you the name of them though, lol! It’s one of those things where it used to be played on the radio and they didn’t have the fancy ones with the song and artist name.
    Thank you! I’m definitely trying to get more comfortable with posting and being more active with all of you and showing myself in front of all of you. I definitely appreciate the suggestion and will also check out Jerry Cantrell, if I’m not already familiar with him. 😁

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I like hand writing better but it’s not formal apparently so I have to print lol
    Theres 2 things I love about alice in chains. The vocal melodies and Jerry’s playing. I dont think he ever plays anything difficult at amy time but he plays with extreme feel. And feedback. Yum.
    Theres 2 sides to the band. You may like one better then the other. I’ve grown to love both. Layne was very dark. His lyrics are extreme.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Calvin-Handwritting is not nescecarily not formal. Whether something is formal has more to do with the language. For example:
    Dear Prof Dr Synyster Gates,
    Insert text here
    Best regards,
    Ids
    Would be formal.
    Hey bruh,
    Insert text here
    See ya!
    Would be informal.
    Those are just examples.
    Typing is more a way to make sure everyone can read it but if you ask me if you want to write stuff down by hand you should do it(you just have the risk for it to be unreadable depending on your handwriting)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    That’s how I usually address my teachers(I could have used Brian Haner Sr. As well) So I thought It would be a good example since he is our teacher. I do hope Syn doesn’t actually have those titles otherwise I would feel incredibly rude.

Well done Rowan!!
    @jak sounds good! I already put it on my calendar 🙂 I’m thinking maybe I’ll prepare a short demonstration for the beginner to intermediate players on how the 6 magic notes relate to the chords they are playing, to aid them to create their own licks. It will be short and sweet.
    I want to keep it relevant to the homework you assigned so maybe people can build off of what they just worked on. And of course I’m always down to sharing any insight guitar-journey-wise!

J

Jak Angelescu

@andrew, the ‘deadline’ is this Saturday. But I have had numerous students give them a little bit later. This is done at your leisure 🙂 Also, I keep seeing Karolina K is responding to some of these topics as I’m getting notifications for them. But when I click on it, I don’t see her comments anywhere. Does anyone else see a comment from her here?

J

Jak Angelescu

@aaron!!! I loved that! Great work! I love the fact that you did little vibratos in there, too! Good sound, great timing, too!
    I want you all to know how moved this makes me that so many students are doing the homework these days. I’m seeing new students jump on the wagon and it makes me so happy. You all are doing great! It literally is giving me the biggest smile!!
    Don’t forget, if any of you want access to any of the tutorials I mentioned in the first post, let me know 🙂

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Karolina… I absolutely loved your video. The melody was so beautiful and the slides really added the effect. For your first. You blew me away.
    And you have more pinky strength then you think. You definitely used it a lot even if you realized it or not .