• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Newbie here!

Lea Marcel

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
London, UK
Hi everyone, I'm Lea, I'm from France and I'm so happy to finally be able to use that website!
I bought my first electric guitar, a Schecter a month ago - I'd like to buy an accoustic quite quickly cause I don't want to get too comfortable with the electric, the transition scares me a bit :)
I feel a bit lost because there's so much to learn, but I just can't wait to go through the lessons!

See you around :)

Lea Marcel

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
London, UK
Welcome! Glad to have you here. Don't hesitate to ask questions and make sure to share your Progress with us!

What kind of music do you want to play mostly?

Thank you, will definitely do! Well I really would like to understand how to play metal solos, that's what attracts me most, but obviously I'm going through the very basics at the moment :)

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Thank you, will definitely do! Well I really would like to understand how to play metal solos, that's what attracts me most, but obviously I'm going through the very basics at the moment :)
    If that's what you're Going for I wouldn't worry too much about acoustic guitars right now. I believe you should Play the Instrument Made to Play the music you want :)

Synner Endless Summer Collection
    J

Jak Angelescu

I have to disagree about the acoustic situation that some of the students are talking about. While I agree that wanting can play metal solos is incredible and you should learn the instrument that it is worked with, every single metal guitarist that you look up to knows how to play on an acoustic. When you play metal guitar, using an acoustic can help build-up your calluses and help build-up your finger strength extremely fast. You don't wanna be like Nita Strauss who did nothing but play on electric guitar her whole life and then when the electricity went out at a show, they decided to do an unplugged version of the set list and she bombed every single thing because she couldn't play on an acoustic. You also don't wanna be at a situation where somebody has an acoustic guitar lying around and they say "Hey Lea plays guitar let her play something" and then suddenly you look like an idiot because you don't know what you're doing or you can't play on an acoustic that well.
    If you want to get an acoustic guitar go ahead and get an acoustic guitar. Some of the best written metal songs in history were written on an acoustic guitar. It's only going to make your fingers stronger and more prepared for those blazing fast solos you want to play.

PS: Bienvenue, mon amie 😚

Lea Marcel

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    London, UK
    I have to disagree about the acoustic situation that some of the students are talking about. While I agree that wanting can play metal solos is incredible and you should learn the instrument that it is worked with, every single metal guitarist that you look up to knows how to play on an acoustic. When you play metal guitar, using an acoustic can help build-up your calluses and help build-up your finger strength extremely fast. You don't wanna be like Nita Strauss who did nothing but play on electric guitar her whole life and then when the electricity went out at a show, they decided to do an unplugged version of the set list and she bombed every single thing because she couldn't play on an acoustic. You also don't wanna be at a situation where somebody has an acoustic guitar lying around and they say "Hey Lea plays guitar let her play something" and then suddenly you look like an idiot because you don't know what you're doing or you can't play on an acoustic that well.
    If you want to get an acoustic guitar go ahead and get an acoustic guitar. Some of the best written metal songs in history were written on an acoustic guitar. It's only going to make your fingers stronger and more prepared for those blazing fast solos you want to play.

Yes that's the thing! I'm not struggling that much at the moment, when on the tutos they're saying I know, that one is a bit of a stretch and I don't feel it that's when I know the transition will be tough :)
    I think I will work on my chords and on my muscle memory for a while and then get the accoustic. Thank you for your super helpful response!

Reactions: Anthony Peña

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Welcome!

To add to the perspective - you need to walk before you run. Don't neglect or minimize learning rhythm guitar - on acoustic and electric. The solo gets the love, but if it's not attached to a great song performed well, only guitar players will care.

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019

🎤 *mic drop

Reactions: Calvin Phillips

Fahol

Free Bird Player
    Apr 11, 2020
    Welcome Lea! Feel free to ask all you questions about learning and stuffs; all the people here are great and helpfull.

And yea, agreeing with wath Jak said, don't be affraid of anything when you learn guitar or wathver, first, go at wath talk to you, play wath you like and play song you want to play; this way you will love guitar and explore more. The transition betwin Acoustic and Electric is like.. Put Shoes when you are every days on Sneakers.. feels wierd, but it's playable.. :)

Reactions: Lea Marcel

Anthony Peña

Hot Topic Tourer
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Denton, TX
    Hi everyone, I'm Lea, I'm from France and I'm so happy to finally be able to use that website!
    I bought my first electric guitar, a Schecter a month ago - I'd like to buy an accoustic quite quickly cause I don't want to get too comfortable with the electric, the transition scares me a bit :)
    I feel a bit lost because there's so much to learn, but I just can't wait to go through the lessons!

See you around :)
    Welcome aboard! Let me just start off with this- I've been a member for almost a year now, and never bothered to post my playing until a couple of weeks ago. I lost out on so many good tips and help from everyone on here, and I regret it immensely.

So if you're like me and feel a bit shy about posting your playing, I strongly encourage you to just try it once- you'll be glad you did.

Have fun with the lessons! 😊🤘🏼