• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Pentatonic and soloing

John Setzler

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I guess for some reason I’ve always thought that (thinking can hurt, right?) whatever the key the song is in is that key’s pentatonic scale that guitarists would use for solos. But in Lessons 29 through 32 I’m seeing him play both the D and C pentatonic scales in the same song example. If I’m understanding correctly, I can change the scales with the chords? For example, say the chords being played are C, G, and E. Once the C chord is played, I move to the C Pent/(Major?) scale. E Chord, move to E Pent/(Major?) scale. Is this correct, or in the realm of being correct? And does it matter the scale shape?

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Both options are possible. You can either play the pentatonic scale of the key the song is in or you can change per chord.
You can use every position of a scale. Just try out and find the sound you want.
Also you can flavour the solo with different notes like the 4th and 7th of the chord you play but there are “rules” for them. They bring tension that you have to release.
Lesson 29 to lesson 33 will help you to figure out your options. Lesson 69 and 70 will give you even more input.