• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picking Problems… HELP!

J

Jak Angelescu

Everyone on here has been so amazing with helping me out and I really appreciate it. I’ve been learning a new picking method (AKA the proper way) And I’ve been finding it to be so much easier with lead but OMG MY RHYTHM AND STRUMMING IS TERRIBLE!!! On electric, acoustic, it doesn’t matter. It sounds choppy and halfway through the song I’m finding the point of my pick slipping outwards, to where it’s practically facing the headstock and completely sideways. I thought maybe I could grip tighter but then the choppy sound just worsens. I tried watching Papa Gates’ and Syn’s hands to see how they grip it but they don’t seem to be doing anything different than me. Any advice? It’s driving me nuts! I’ve spent over a month on this new picking technique and lead is coming along just fine but rhythm just will not get any better. It’s really choppy, sloppy, it sounds like I bang the hell out of some of the strings and halfway through the song the pick is practically sideways. Any help is SO appreciated.

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I don’t usually hold the pick like that when I strum, usually whenever I play rhythm I change my grip to where I hold the pick with thumb, 1st, and 2nd fingers. During my more formative years I played a hybrid of rhythm and lead guitar with my youth group (covering both parts) so over time I guess I got a lot of practice switching between the two grips, but I still find it hard to strum with the method you described. I’m sure if I practiced it enough I could, but I’ve never had any issues with the way I find comfortable so I’ve never seen a reason to change it, if that makes sense. Sorry if this isn’t quite the how-to you were looking for, but “right way” is very subjective. Just look at the way EVH holds his pick. There are set in stone do’s and do-not’s, but everyone has their own degree of variability.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Actually for strumming my lick usely is sideways. Also for just playing campfire songs the way you hold a pick does not really matter just tey to relax your right hand on have a go with it. For metal rhytm palying try to have your palm muting and downpicking on point

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Birmingham, England.
    I’ve been having the exact same problem with you. In regards to the pick moving in your hands I just tried using differe picks. I mainly use jazz III but I tried a thick black Dunlop pick and this helped. I guess there is more to hold onto as the jazz III are quite small.
    With the strumming I also watched videos of Pappa gates and even other people. The only thing I noticed is that my arm didn’t lie back as far as there’s did. I’m using a les Paul and the boney part of my wrist now rests right back onto the bridge. Which feels way uncomfortable for me.at the moment it feels like my elbow is sticking right out and it aches my shoulder a little. This is maybe because my arm was never straight to begin with. If you watch the lesson on how to hold a pick he says to make sure your arm is perfectly straight.
    It will come over time maybe spend 20 mins a night on rhythm stuff instead.of lead. Just start slowly to a metronome. Build up the muscle memory.
    Hope this helps.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I am just like you. I learned the ‘proper way’ after the syn School launched and strumming and muting was nearly impossible for me with that new way Holding the pick. It was mentioned before but Holding the pick sideways is only good for leads and solos. When playing rythem I still hold my pick with my thumb. Just practice switching between the gip styles and it should work fine. At least it was that way for me.