• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Post stuff you want to learn

As title suggests.
Post something you want to learn, ideally not covered by the courses already implemented by the site. Could be a technique, genre/style, song, questions on how to get tone, or some metaphorical description embodying something musical 🙂
I’m just looking for ideas to create videos. If Its something I think I know well I’ll try an expand on the subject and contribute to it.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Nic Cullen

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Not so much something I want to learn personally, but I’d like to see some acoustic stuff, and examples of different guitars like in their anatomy video. Eg, what makes a strat different from a Les Paul? How is a FR beneficial over say a hardtail or a non-floating tremolo bridge? What about different woods and their tones? Stuff like that.

Kartasinsky

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Any solo by Syn spread out into prime factors would be great for me and a few other members I think 😀 A few gypsy jazz lessons would be awesome! Also maybe showing some Dimebag stuff, who was a big influence on Gates himself?

I would love to see more information/lessons on how to train your ear and something on Triads.
For mobile: I used an app called Ear Training by Musicopoulos. Really starts you from the ground up, makes it super simple. As far as theory/triads there an app called Tenuto that is just golden. Both of these are like 3 bucks but wellll worth the money.
For desktop: musictheory.net is probably the best resource.. period. Super simple, and they have exercises to go along with the click through curriculum.
You can also google Toby Rush, he’s got some awesome, fun infographs on theory that lay it out a little more creatively.
Not so much something I want to learn personally, but I’d like to see some acoustic stuff, and examples of different guitars like in their anatomy video. Eg, what makes a strat different from a Les Paul? How is a FR beneficial over say a hardtail or a non-floating tremolo bridge? What about different woods and their tones? Stuff like that.
Definitely a good idea. I’m sure a lot of kids have sustainiacs, floating bridges and don’t know why there’s an ebony fingerboard vs. maple, how to do a setup, imitation etc etc
I see some requests for Dime stuff, color me inspired ( best metal guitar player of all time, in my opinion ) a lot of his technique can’t be taught, it’s more of a feeling, be we can discuss stylistically what he likes to do

“I really wanna see some extended range stuff. I’ve recently got into guys like periphery and stuff and I’d love to see syn’s take on that.”
That’s a realm of progressive music, it gets pretty unconventional and advanced.. I’d recommend listening to bands like Meshuggah, Veil of Maya, Haunted Shores but as far as learning them, you’ve got a million different tunings and playstyles to explore haha

Dylan Tower

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah i know I was just giving my favorite example. I really like Mark Holcombs playing style so I listen to haunted shores a lot too. I really like animals as leaders, and there’s a band out there called oceans ate Alaska who are awsome