• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Presence and Resonance

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Hey y’all ! 👋🏻

As the title says, my question is about presence and resonance settings on my amp.
    I have in fact googled and gotten a very textbook definition of the two, however, can anyone put it into beginner friendly layman’s terms please! Haha.

Ive never adjusted them and curious as to what they actually do and when and what to adjust them for.
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated !
    :rock-hand:

Forgetabull

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    This is a better description:

However:

Presence - this is your "sharpness", think of when you have that glassy, crispy single coil tone where there's little mids or bass. Essentially you're using this to cut through the rest of the mix the higher you go. If you try turning it all the way up, you'll see how "pointy" it sounds.

Resonance: Essentially the overall body of the amp, so a bit like when you use the tone knob on your guitar and turn it all the way down vs all the way up, one is dull and one is clear.

Typically you'd use these when you're playing with others and you need to cut through or back off your sound depending on the band. ie. every instrument has a certain range they're supposed to sit in, bass sits on the bass, drums are a certain spot, keyboard etc. This is why when you're playing by yourself, you might have the bass turned up on your amp, but when you're recording (with the intention of going into a mix) or playing with others, you'll turn the bass down and push the mids up because you will have a bass guitar for the low end and you're filling the middle/upper area.

If you were recording multiple tracks by yourself, you might consider playing with those two knobs to put your rhythm(s) in the background and your lead(s) in the front to sound more prominent.

Caveat: People who know stuff will know much better than I do :)

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    This is a better description:

However:

Presence - this is your "sharpness", think of when you have that glassy, crispy single coil tone where there's little mids or bass. Essentially you're using this to cut through the rest of the mix the higher you go. If you try turning it all the way up, you'll see how "pointy" it sounds.

Resonance: Essentially the overall body of the amp, so a bit like when you use the tone knob on your guitar and turn it all the way down vs all the way up, one is dull and one is clear.

Typically you'd use these when you're playing with others and you need to cut through or back off your sound depending on the band. ie. every instrument has a certain range they're supposed to sit in, bass sits on the bass, drums are a certain spot, keyboard etc. This is why when you're playing by yourself, you might have the bass turned up on your amp, but when you're recording (with the intention of going into a mix) or playing with others, you'll turn the bass down and push the mids up because you will have a bass guitar for the low end and you're filling the middle/upper area.

If you were recording multiple tracks by yourself, you might consider playing with those two knobs to put your rhythm(s) in the background and your lead(s) in the front to sound more prominent.

Caveat: People who know stuff will know much better than I do :)
    Thank you Alan !!!

Reactions: Forgetabull

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    They're really just focused EQs. Presence is usually upper mids, right on the border of the high frequencies. Cutting the presence adds depth and mud, mids. Adding presence usually adds more "razor" sharpness to the tone and the attack, but may make high gain tones more "fizzy" if you use too much. I've never really heard of "resonance," but it is also likely a focused EQ, perhaps in the low-mid range.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    They're really just focused EQs. Presence is usually upper mids, right on the border of the high frequencies. Cutting the presence adds depth and mud, mids. Adding presence usually adds more "razor" sharpness to the tone and the attack, but may make high gain tones more "fizzy" if you use too much. I've never really heard of "resonance," but it is also likely a focused EQ, perhaps in the low-mid range.
    Yesss ! Thank you Ed ! I played around with it earlier and I see what you mean about making the gain sound “fizzy” I definitely got that ! Now I just gotta figure out what the resonance really does 🤣
    Never had an amp with that before, But what I gathered from a forum for this amp was that it deals with the low end and something About “negative feedback”

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    This is what I found on a Marshall forum and it’s ridiculously confusing for a noob. But I think I’m kind of getting it 😅

“The negative feedback loop in an amp is a sort of 'damping' (that isn't quite the right electronics term, but it will do) and makes the power section run more linearly, or 'smoothly' - by taking some of the output signal, running it 'backwards' (that's the negative bit) and re-applying it to the input, as a sort of self-regulation.

If you put what are essentially tone controls into the negative feedback loop, you can affect the degree of smoothing at those frequencies. Presence affects the top end, resonance the bottom end. Basically turning either of these 'up' actually turns those frequencies down in the loop, and allows those ranges to be less restricted. They don't sound the same as simple bass and treble controls because they affect the dynamics of those frequencies more than the 'amount' of them - which is why you tend not to hear them doing very much at low volume, but once the power section is really cranked they can become more effective than the normal tone controls.”

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I think that's mostly marketing speak :cool: . That description seems like it flattens the Q-value a little (Q is a measure of how fast the EQ point is rolled up to and away from. So, if you're on your bicycle, a long Q means, "this will be hard, but I can make it up this hill, and it will be fun going down the other side!" A short Q means, "fuck this shit. Where's the bar? I don't care what I smell like."

I hope that makes sense.

As for where they are on the frequency, I'd call presence hi-mid and resonance lo-mid. I had an old amp with "contour" instead of "resonance," but I bet they were mostly the same thing.

As with all things, start at noon, jam, drop to zero, play, then up to 10, play more. That's what it does :).

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I think that's mostly marketing speak :cool: . That description seems like it flattens the Q-value a little (Q is a measure of how fast the EQ point is rolled up to and away from. So, if you're on your bicycle, a long Q means, "this will be hard, but I can make it up this hill, and it will be fun going down the other side!" A short Q means, "fuck this shit. Where's the bar? I don't care what I smell like."

I hope that makes sense.

As for where they are on the frequency, I'd call presence hi-mid and resonance lo-mid. I had an old amp with "contour" instead of "resonance," but I bet they were mostly the same thing.

As with all things, start at noon, jam, drop to zero, play, then up to 10, play more. That's what it does :).
    Thanks Ed ! I thought the bit about volume was interesting. Maybe I just need to crank it up and rattle the neighbors to really hear the difference. 😈 muahahaha ! Lol.
    Seriously though, I appreciate you so much !

• Love
    Reactions: Ed Seith

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I see you've got a ton of info about what presence is/does but I figured I'd drop a vid that in laymans terms talks about presence and how it works. If you haven't checked out CSGuitars youtube channel it is definitely worth checking out when it comes to the tone side of guitar. The guy knows his stuff and if I remember right has a degree in physics which he uses to describe the science behind say how pickups work. He's an awesome dude with a ton of info on his channel!

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I see you've got a ton of info about what presence is/does but I figured I'd drop a vid that in laymans terms goes talks about presence and how it works. If you haven't checked out CSGuitars youtube channel it is definitely worth checking out when it comes to the tone side of guitar. The guy knows his stuff and if I remember right has a degree in physics which he uses to describe the science behind say how pickups work. He's an awesome dude with a ton of info on his channel!
    Thank you so much Donovan !! I’m definitely about to check him out !!!

Reactions: Donovan Etue

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    😒 just realized you trolled the shit out of me. I just cranked up the volume and turned the presence wide ass open.....it sounds like shit ! Lmao.
    man, fuck you dominik ! 😂😂😂😂😂
    Everybody says that eventually😂
    Honestly though, I usually have my presence fairly high to give my Tone more of a dominant Edge. Just Sounds sharper

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Everybody says that eventually😂
    Honestly though, I usually have my presence fairly high to give my Tone more of a dominant Edge. Just Sounds sharper
    I can become part of the “man, fuck that guy Dominik” crowd lol

well mine didn’t sound sharper, it sounded like ass haha but then again I did go big with it 🤣
    I’ll try the “Dominik” way

• Haha
    Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I can become part of the “man, fuck that guy Dominik” crowd lol

well mine didn’t sound sharper, it sounded like ass haha but then again I did go big with it 🤣
    I’ll try the “Dominik” way
    Fuck that Guy but then Going the Dominik way. Yeah sure