• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Recording distorted sounds with your Pc

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    So I've tried multiple Times recording my playing by directly plugging my amp into my PC. I tried with the Boss Katana Mini, the 100 mk 2 and a Fender Mustang 1 V2. The last two mentioned we're directly connected via USB. I record with audacity.
    While this works Well with Clean Tones, as soon I am using a distorted Channel my recordings Sound WAY fuzzier than what I hear in Person from the amps. That's to a Point I rather use my phone than even bother to record the Sound seperately.

Now I Wonder, is that my amps fault? Or my ears or is this Just Not the way you should record?

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    It's not the amps fault it's just the matter of the output of your sound. In your case it's only a USB cable and that's probably why it sounds like that. Usually you either record with a mic + amp or with an audio interface + amp simulator. That way you'll get way better sound quality but I understand that if you don't have either you gotta to use what you have. You can try adjusting the settings on your amp so that it doesn't sound that fuzzy when you record it or you can try to record only a clean signal and then use a guitar VST and add effects to it.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    It's not the amps fault it's just the matter of the output of your sound. In your case it's only a USB cable and that's probably why it sounds like that. Usually you either record with a mic + amp or with an audio interface + amp simulator. That way you'll get way better sound quality but I understand that if you don't have either you gotta to use what you have. You can try adjusting the settings on your amp so that it doesn't sound that fuzzy when you record it or you can try to record only a clean signal and then use a guitar VST and add effects to it.
    Damn, I was afraid you would say that. Yes I don't have a mic / interface and I can't adjust the settings so much that it doesn't sound fuzzy but still decent.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    If you want to record a classic amplifier you are need a mic just like Filip said. The other option is getting an interface and a decent amp emulator in a daw. I spent some time figuring this out too. For example the Axe-fx, line-6 helix and Kemper can be used for this too because they are effectively very good amp simulators

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    If you want to record a classic amplifier you are need a mic just like Filip said. The other option is getting an interface and a decent amp emulator in a daw. I spent some time figuring this out too. For example the Axe-fx, line-6 helix and Kemper can be used for this too because they are effectively very good amp simulators
    Problem is that there is no real point in spending equipment for recording right now. I don't write songs, I don't really do professional covers so I like to spend my money on gear I use permanently like my guitar and amp.

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Problem is that there is no real point in spending equipment for recording right now. I don't write songs, I don't really do professional covers so I like to spend my money on gear I use permanently like my guitar and amp.
    Then use your phone. I mean it DOES have a microphone but it's not really used for professional recording but it can capture the "true" sound of your amp & it will capture the "room" sound so that's a plus :D.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I had the same problem. I just got an audio interface. I don't know what is going wrong there but i read somewhere that USB cables don't handle distorted sounds from the guitar properly. So if you can, get a dedicated audio interface and avoid all usb connections in the rig

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I highly doubt it's the cable. I recorded through USB for YEARS. Still do. You could buy a cheap interface and work that way instead it probably will fix whatever issue that is. It could be that your computer isnt fast. My new PC is slow as fuck and I'm limited to what's open when I play.

I also noticed when I play sound over.recprding through the new PC the sound dies out. Its possible that your PC is like mine and cant handle play back while recording.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I had the same problem. I just got an audio interface. I don't know what is going wrong there but i read somewhere that USB cables don't handle distorted sounds from the guitar properly. So if you can, get a dedicated audio interface and avoid all usb connections in the rig
    But don't I need a Microphone as Well?
    Don't know much about Interfaces..

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    I highly doubt it's the cable. I recorded through USB for YEARS. Still do. You could buy a cheap interface and work that way instead it probably will fix whatever issue that is. It could be that your computer isnt fast. My new PC is slow as fuck and I'm limited to what's open when I play.

I also noticed when I play sound over.recprding through the new PC the sound dies out. Its possible that your PC is like mine and cant handle play back while recording.
    Well my PC definetly isn't that slow, it's a good gaming PC. And I Had the problem with two totally different amps with USB Option. 🤷

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Inhad a good gaming PC too. And had the same problem. It just didnt happen everytime. With this new PC is happens everytime. That leads me to believe that even good sound cards cant always handle the stress we put them under. This PC is only dual and it barely does the job. I had a quad before and it wasn't always 100%.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    The other possibility is that your USB output doesn't emulate a cabinet. Cab emulation is a HUGE part of a dirty tone, and without it, the tone can definitely sound how you describe. There are a number of free options out there so you can experiment and see if that's the problem. Start with this to see if it fixes the problem:

Filip Tomiša

Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Again, I don't really know anything about interfaces. Would this digital interface replace my amp then? Because that's not the direction I want to go really
    When you get an interface you can either get a mic and plug it in your interface and record your amp or you can plug your guitar directly into the interface and then use a VST guitar simulator such as bias fx or guitar rig to get the effects

Reactions: Lindsey

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    The other possibility is that your USB output doesn't emulate a cabinet. Cab emulation is a HUGE part of a dirty tone, and without it, the tone can definitely sound how you describe. There are a number of free options out there so you can experiment and see if that's the problem. Start with this to see if it fixes the problem:

That would also replace my amp, would it? Not sure if I understand how it works. Would it be like a digital amp or can I combine it with my usb signal to emulate a cab?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    When you get an interface you can either get a mic and plug it in your interface and record your amp or you can plug your guitar directly into the interface and then use a VST guitar simulator such as bias fx or guitar rig to get the effects
    Oh, okay, I missunderstood Lindseys answer

Reactions: Lindsey