• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Recording software recommendations

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    Hello one and all!
    I’ve been using Audacity to record my songs for as long as I can remember, but I had a friend who is in a band tell me that this program tends to not produce very good sound quality when exporting the final product as a playable file.
    Now I’ve been very pleased with Audacity, with it being free and all. I was wondering if anyone knew if the concern my friend raised is true and if so, what other program would you recommend me? Preferably also free, but I also welcome premium program suggestions as well.
    Thanks in advance.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Reaper. It’s a genuinely professional DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). You can use a full-featured version free for 3 months, and it’s then $60 US for the full version, which comes with two full-version upgrades, as well. So, with them on Reaper 5.7 (I think), you would not have to purchase again until Reaper 7 came out. I bought V4.2, I think, in 2012? Still haven’t had to pay for a new version. Well worth it.
    http://reaper.fm

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    The gold standard for professionals is still ProTools, but it is pricey, (with a good interface). I’m starting to see Logic Pro used in studios. Since Yamaha bought Cubase, it’s actually making a nice comeback – after 20 years of being kind of a joke. I know a few die-hard Ableton Live users as well.
    I agree with Ed Seith – dollar for dollar – it’s hard to beat Reaper. Just bear in mind – the most important piece of recording gear you will own will be your interface.
    And there is no cheap way around that. You will never get a pro-level recording with a $100 interface.

Steven Huth

Local Dive Bar Favorite
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Any good recommendations on an interface? I honestly don’t need too many inputs at the moment. I just want something that can make the videos I post on here sound better than just using a phone microphone lol. I’ve got experience with ProTools, but will definitely check out what everyone mentioned so far.
    Thanks for the replies as well!