• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Strumming

Soukayna

Free Bird Player
Apr 2, 2020
Morocco
Hello everyone!
I need some help with strumming 👀 I know seems basic but, here me out while following Papa gates lessons I had to revisit some skills I had previous knowledge of strumming included, I know from previous knowledge that you need to keep you hand moving while strumming to stay in rhythm, which is also recommended by Papa Gates himself, the thing is when I try to do that I get confused and start messing up, however I see that I can play rhythm just fine strumming only when I need to, any suggestions to help me with this and is it really necessary that I keep strumming even when I'm not playing any notes?

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Nothing is NECESSARY. If you can make it Work that's fine. However that constant motion will help you keep the same rhythm through your playing. You should start with the most Basic exercise. Just strum one chord and "miss" one in between. If you really feel safe with that Switch between two chords. Maybe try a different rhythm after that :)

• Love
    Reactions: Soukayna

Soukayna

Free Bird Player
    Apr 2, 2020
    Morocco
    Nothing is NECESSARY. If you can make it Work that's fine. However that constant motion will help you keep the same rhythm through your playing. You should start with the most Basic exercise. Just strum one chord and "miss" one in between. If you really feel safe with that Switch between two chords. Maybe try a different rhythm after that :)
    Hi Dominik!
    Thank you for the fast reply, you guys are really making me feel like a member of the family 🥰, the bat family...oh shoot we don't talk about bats sorry about that 😅
    when it comes to strumming I'm already at stage where I can strum cowboy chords and other chords with a backing track just fine I only start messing up when the tempo is too fast or when there are a lot of chord changes, something I still need to work on btw, other than that I think strumming just when I need to is fine. Anyway thanks again Dominik 😊

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hi Dominik!
    Thank you for the fast reply, you guys are really making me feel like a member of the family 🥰, the bat family...oh shoot we don't talk about bats sorry about that 😅
    when it comes to strumming I'm already at stage where I can strum cowboy chords and other chords with a backing track just fine I only start messing up when the tempo is too fast or when there are a lot of chord changes, something I still need to work on btw, other than that I think strumming just when I need to is fine. Anyway thanks again Dominik 😊
    Lmao, the bat 😂
    No problem man. Any question, we're here for you! Honestly that sounds to me like you just need some more practice then. Make sure to always play slow until you got the technique perfect!

Jesse Salmons

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Nov 11, 2019
    Indiana
    Hi Dominik!
    Im with dom on this one. Sounds like you just need more practice man. You gotta walk before you run, dont rush it! Enjoy the process and take your time i promise you itll pay off. We’re all here if you need help.

• Love

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Tbh I rest my hand a lot when there's little breaks in the strumming pattern. I have to admit when I used to play the xylophone in music class in high school I used to hit the table to keep time so when you're just starting out keeping your hand moving is a great idea. Could you show us how you strum right now?

• Love
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Soukayna

Free Bird Player
    Apr 2, 2020
    Morocco
    Tbh I rest my hand a lot when there's little breaks in the strumming pattern. I have to admit when I used to play the xylophone in music class in high school I used to hit the table to keep time so when you're just starting out keeping your hand moving is a great idea. Could you show us how you strum right now?
    I certainly want to follow the advice and keep my hand moving while strumming, it just I feel like that"s what my foot does: keeps me in rhythm, I'll try to record something tomorrow, it's late now

Soukayna

Free Bird Player
    Apr 2, 2020
    Morocco
    Here is a little something I recorded this morning, so yeah tell me what you think

Reactions: carlosmqr

Soukayna

Free Bird Player
    Apr 2, 2020
    Morocco
    Ok guys, guys @Dominik Graeber @Jesse Salmons @Ids Schiere
    Strumming update
    This quarantine got me all into guitar I've been playing non stop, and it seems like my strumming is getting better, I was playing a little piece this morning at first I was strumming only when I had to, not doing the tik tok motion, but at the very end I found myself strumming air in between notes involuntary I guess it comes naturally.
    I'm so happy 😁
    Thank you all

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Ok guys, guys @Dominik Graeber @Jesse Salmons @Ids Schiere
    Strumming update
    This quarantine got me all into guitar I've been playing non stop, and it seems like my strumming is getting better, I was playing a little piece this morning at first I was strumming only when I had to, not doing the tik tok motion, but at the very end I found myself strumming air in between notes involuntary I guess it comes naturally.
    I'm so happy 😁
    Thank you all
    Let us see your progress!! :)