• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

We want to hear from you!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Well, for starters I feel like the school is pretty dead at the moment. There's barely any engagement in the forums or questions asked and incentive to start doing that pretty much doesn't exist and I check multiple times a day because that's habit I had since the beginning of I would be new here I would have literally no reason to stay.

For starters when I saw you can get a guitar lesson from Syn by getting one of the nfts I was honestly pretty pissed off since he has a guitar school and his engagement is pretty much non-existent here besides the aotm(still love you Syn but had to be said 😅). If you can just buy an NFT and get a guitar lesson from syn you can question what this school has as an added value besides it being free since there's no engagement. And no I'm not opposed to crypto nor nfts before anyone wants to go that road.

Furthermore, I've been here from the beginning and there was lots of engagement from a whole lot of people and I think part of that is because it felt a little bit more free, now I feel like you have to be a lot more careful of what you do and what you say and I can't really truly be myself anymore. There's barely any banter or jokes or anything like that anymore and that's kinda boring really so I would really have that feel the old school had back. You can just hop on and there would be people you could talk and joke around with.
I agree i was literally confused why those lessons were not offered here first

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
My main issue is this site has clearly progressed away from a guitar school and has essentially become a syn gates social site. And even at that rate as ids said activity had dipped. NO ONE watches videos still..maybe 15 to 20 views a riff. Its fine to have a community but in the end it's just becoming a patron site. Im not saying social life is bad here but it definitely has taken over from the days where you saw videos and guitar things daily. Thats a big disappointment that it can't be both.

Arsia Rose

New Student
Jul 17, 2021
Los Angeles
Hey Arsia, thank you so much for reaching out and giving us this valuable feedback!

Let me answer your first question, Synner is the platform. It was known as the Synyster Gates school but then it was rebranded as Synner in an effort to expand possibilities and the scope of this platform! So to answer your question, pretty much both! 😊

For what you would like to see, I will take this feedback and talk about it with the technical people and see what can be done about that but I understand your approach! You seem to be able to mold this platform as a way for you to focus on the lesson if I am correct? I'll see what can be done :)

To help you track your progress as a student, we do have our achievement system that helps individuals to track their progress or to interact with the platform! For the lessons, we have a button at the bottom right of the lesson that allow you to ''mark the lesson as complete''. This is our way to give some tools to students to track their advancements.

But now if I may ask you, do you have an idea of what you would want us to bring to this platform? We are always open to hearing what we could do more!
Oh I didn't even really notice the "lesson complete" button. I just kind of jump around. My fault! 😂

But yeah. Not to sound like a prick but I came here for the guitar journey not the community so much. I try to offer things when I can but I'm very limited on time so it's hard for me to sit on a social media style site for even 30 minutes reading what other people are doing and then write up a response.

I do really like the videos though. Those are fun. I get nervous though leaving comments because I don't know people personally on here and I feel awkward with the generic "Great job". But if it helps or people would like it more I'll gladly do that.

Tbh the aotm has been mentioned but in the email there's Captain Ed (is that the Ed above?) who has one and then Syn as well? I feel this is kind of useless and I'd much rather see one of them do a lick of the month and the other do aotm. I'm sure da captain can probably play well. But yeah. If anyone can make it to where us students get a more personal platform that maybe gives us where we left off or even practice notes or something.
Can we subscribe to forums? Maybe get a music theory lesson from a student in the newsletters? Some of them here are pure geniuses from what I see. I love Synner. I love this site and I think it's amazing I just had those few small suggestions :)

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Oh I didn't even really notice the "lesson complete" button. I just kind of jump around. My fault! 😂

But yeah. Not to sound like a prick but I came here for the guitar journey not the community so much. I try to offer things when I can but I'm very limited on time so it's hard for me to sit on a social media style site for even 30 minutes reading what other people are doing and then write up a response.

I do really like the videos though. Those are fun. I get nervous though leaving comments because I don't know people personally on here and I feel awkward with the generic "Great job". But if it helps or people would like it more I'll gladly do that.

Tbh the aotm has been mentioned but in the email there's Captain Ed (is that the Ed above?) who has one and then Syn as well? I feel this is kind of useless and I'd much rather see one of them do a lick of the month and the other do aotm. I'm sure da captain can probably play well. But yeah. If anyone can make it to where us students get a more personal platform that maybe gives us where we left off or even practice notes or something.
Can we subscribe to forums? Maybe get a music theory lesson from a student in the newsletters? Some of them here are pure geniuses from what I see. I love Synner. I love this site and I think it's amazing I just had those few small suggestions :)
You're a keeper man I love your input.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Thanks bro! I'm just walking cautiously here because some communities go sour real quick. But when Radu seemed so chill with everyone opening up I wanted to voice up. Keep writing that rebellious shit🤘
Youre comments towards my pieces are the reason i still come.back. the problem is this place has ran out of people like you. Most are here just to have a conversation. Like I said it's essentially a patron site now.

Ill admit some people here think im defensive. But I think they just don't understand my thought process when explaining myself. It can be intimidating for sure talking with strangers.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Thanks bro! I'm just walking cautiously here because some communities go sour real quick. But when Radu seemed so chill with everyone opening up I wanted to voice up. Keep writing that rebellious shit🤘
    As long as you're cool and not being a douchenozzle to everyone or someone, it's cool. We REQUESTED the feedback, so if it's clear and honest, we do want to hear it.

Of course, there's only so much we can DO about it - Syn is a rock star and can be mercurial sometimes.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    the problem is this place has ran out of people like you. Most are here just to have a conversation.

I'll admit, I could do more, especially when it comes to watching student videos. I need to be better about that. My only excuse is that between work ramping up and family and all, sometimes the time I could be watching, I spend practicing or playing. I will try to balance it better. Thank you, Calvin.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I'll admit, I could do more, especially when it comes to watching student videos. I need to be better about that. My only excuse is that between work ramping up and family and all, sometimes the time I could be watching, I spend practicing or playing. I will try to balance it better. Thank you, Calvin.
    Well theres mods yeah.. but im talking the actual community. How do you learn and get better together if you dont help each other out?

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Soooo, you ask for feedback an it's given and first the response to it has nothing to do with what I said, than I ask for an actual response and my comment gets deleted?
    Very well. I came here today and told you all to speak your mind so I understand in this situation the need to explain the moderation's decision to delete your comment.

While we did ask for honest feedback and we are open to any criticism, what we are not open for is disrespectful behaviour which is what you have shown. Ed respectfully answered your first inquiry and while you could have answered back and ask for more clarification in a respectful manner, you chose instead to be rude. One thing that needs to be understood is that we do this out of our own time because we care and love this community.

But that being said, it doesn't give you or anyone the right to come at us in an aggressive manner like you did.

I understand everyone's need for answers but I hope you can all understand that it's not because we are not answering all your inquiries right away that we are ignoring you. On the contrary, I promise you that I will answer with as many details as I can any of your concern but all I ask for you to at least approach it in a respectful manner. If you have concerns that you don't want to publicly voice, again, My inbox is open for all of you.

Thank you

Last edited:

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

Yes, I am “Captain Ed,” a nickname from the site’s first community leader. Syn still calls me “truth,” because that’s what I speak.

I had some issues over the last year and a half that have impacted my playing and it’s bothered me. I do my own AOTM because I’m old and some of the stuff that influenced me in my youth is coming back around and I can point out maybe some lesser known gems. I was doing a #metalminute play video on my instagram (EdmaninAZ) for quite a while, but I haven’t with my issues. I will get back to that soon, I hope.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    For the legends who have asked about the video meetings with Syn and Papa, I talked to Syn about it today and we will be arranging something for “the holidays” to be announced once the details are finalized, and there’s a commitment to try to be better about it next year.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Well theres mods yeah.. but im talking the actual community. How do you learn and get better together if you dont help each other out?
    Absolutely love this response Calvin! I share your same sentiment.

I’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone here that the “media” section isn’t just for showing off your latest riff or project. If you’re having difficulties with a technique, chord progression, solo, etc. post it up and show us what you’re having trouble with so that we can see what’s going on to better offer advice ! Same goes for tech issues !
    Lord knows I posted quite a few videos like that talking about my issues and demonstrating what I was doing and the feedback was phenomenal!

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Absolutely love this response Calvin! I share your same sentiment.

I’d like to take this opportunity to remind everyone here that the “media” section isn’t just for showing off your latest riff or project. If you’re having difficulties with a technique, chord progression, solo, etc. post it up and show us what you’re having trouble with so that we can see what’s going on to better offer advice ! Same goes for tech issues !
    Lord knows I posted quite a few videos like that talking about my issues and demonstrating what I was doing and the feedback was phenomenal!
    100%! Back in the day comments made in the media section were what helped me correct my uncomfortable wrist posture while playing, and that sort of advice is absolutely invaluable

Arsia Rose

New Student
    Jul 17, 2021
    Los Angeles
    Everybody has given amazing responses already but here's my two cents;

I've definitely noticed the lack of engagement recently, as I check the site daily to see what's happening in the forums and to see if I can help with anything. It boggles my mind still how the site isn't heaving with thousands of Guitarists, given how open and generous the platform is & how responsive Syn & PG are. But I guess people only know that once they join 🤔

I think one thing that would keep people on the platform/get people on the platform would be to have more video engagement from Syn - not in an overly produced, formal lesson type format - More of an iPhone shot 1 take 'Syn jamming, telling a Guitar related story, sharing his insights & challenges of playing live, taking us through an A7X solo, what he's working on' type thing. I'm thinking along the lines of what John Mayer does with his live streams, just a chill, shooting the shit type vibe. I'd personally get a lot out of Syn talking candidly about his playing & his lifestyle, not in a set-up media interview/masterclass type deal 👌

I feel like this is something that could be posted in the forums & people would lap it up. Stories & tips in an informal setting also has a huge share factor that could help bring more traffic to the site - (For example, posting a 10 second snippet of the full video on youtube/socials with a link to join the school) as people love seeing behind the curtain and feeling like they're sat on the couch across from their Idol just learning from them. So yeah, just a simple thing, but I reckon occasional Video posts in the forums from the School leaders instead of text posts could make the Teacher/ Student relationship that much more personal 🤟

Thoughts on this? 😊
    I think there aren't more guitarists on here because I didn't even know Syn had this school. I'm not really on social media and all I saw were clothing posts and the aotm "let's hang" thing. I thought the let's hang was a link to another discord thing. Like I've said I don't really do social stuff so I didn't follow it.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Chris Johnston