• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

What drives you?

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Because it’s the only thing I want to do in my life. I hate every day jobs, and I can’t imagine myself working in an office or something. I feel like I was born for music, even if I suck right now.
And why I started? Well, a lyric from Machine Head’s Catharsis comes to mind; “The only thing keeping me sane, the music in my veins. And if these words are my fists, this is my catharsis.” That’s why. The feeling I get from music is the most fulfilling feeling ever for me, it’s unexplainable, but you understand it if you feel the same.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I just really like playing guitar. When i dont play guitar for a couplen of days I actually get a bit sad. What drives me is mostly that I really just want to get better.
What inspired me was Just that I really liked music and melodies and thought syns rock am ring solo was really cool and wanted to be able to play it

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Birmingham, England.
what keeps me going is just simply the love for the guitar. Its a never ending venture and you will never stop learning with it. I don’t actually remember what got me into guitar, but i do know that there has always been music around the house for as long as i can remember. Plus as soon as i heard guns n roses i wanted to be slash lol so that was a solid motivation for a while, until i realised that wasn’t best for becoming a good all round player.
Before this school their was a short period where i came a little disillusioned with the guitar. Mostly due to a few failed band ventures, lack of inspiration etc. But this school has re vitalised my love for it all. Put me in touch with a whole community of players who share the same passion and ambition, and helped me to remember that a good way to keep up your interest is to keep learning as many different things off as many different people and styles as music as you can.

Ana Psuturi

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
I really like playing guitar, it makes me feel better. What keeps me motivated is need to get better and everyday sidekick from my dad.
As to what got me started was probably my first day in musical school, when parents took me to piano,and there I saw a kid with acoustic guitar and liked the shape very much so wanted to play it and first guitar hero was Ritchie Blackmore.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
What drives me it probably the same thing that drives alot of people, to be able to live off music. Yes chances are very small but I enjoy doing that and I wouldn’t regret it if I won’t manage to acomplish that because at least I’d know that I didn’t waste my time doing something I hate.
Why I started playing is a pretty funny story. I just started going to high school and I was studying for an exam for some subject and as I was studying all of a sudden I just realised: “What the hell am I learning here? I can’t do this. I don’t want to do this.” So I decided to finally start learning how to play an instrument. I chose drums and I started practicing rythms with drumsticks. That didn’t last long because I realised: I DON’T HAVE DRUMS! So I just decided to take my sisters old guitar that was collecting dust and started practicing it everyday. After finishing high school I decided to go to a music production academy and now I’m studying that.
In the end, I just wanna be surrounded by music and work with that, whether it’s producing, audio engineering, creating or even playing music.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I started right around my 14th birthday, right before I went into high school. That was almost 34 years ago. The learning tools we had available back then for the self-taught guitarist were pitiful compared to what we have today. I wish the YouTubes and other internet and technology stuff had existed back then. I might have given a finger for the Amazing Slow Downer or a similar tool.
    I gigged the NY metro area from 1988 to 1997, when I moved out west. April 1997 was the last gig I played with the last band I was in.
    Through much of the 2000’s I played less and less – every time I played (after a few weeks or a month of not playing) I had lost more and more technique, and therefore fell into a spiral of discouragement.
    In roughly 2009, I realized that I really didn’t want to be someone who “used to play guitar,” so I re-committed myself to practice and discipline and learning and playing and having FUN. It’s been great, and I’ve since gotten some dream guitars – in 2010 I got a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II, and in 2015, I got a PRS Core 30th Anniversary Custom 24 (Quilted 10 top!).
    I’ve recently started working towards finding a band, and after a few false starts, I’ve got something lined up that may work out and end my dry spell for gigs in 2018. I’m excited for it.