• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Collab! Final Placements and Composition!

Way to go everyone!! Good job on your videos!
We are so close to the finish line, only 3 more steps: Composition, practice and then filming!
But let's not get too ahead of ourselves just yet...

We watched everyone's videos and this are the final placements for everybody, based on where your abilities will shine best.

Pre-chorus 1 & 2 @Kim La

The next step is composition. We will be working together by sections, in order to help one another and make sure our sections are cohesive and work together overall.
There will be 3 team captains that will over see the progress and help direct the sections so that we are all advancing together and communicating.

I will be VERSE captain, @Filip Tomiša will be CHORUS captain, and @Ids Schiere will be OUTRO and BRIDGE captain.

@Kim La you will join Filip's team since your section directly connects to theirs.

Filip and I will additionally help manage the Buildups.

From this point on I ask everyone to be humble, open and to keep the bigger picture in mind. We ALL will have to refine our ideas and go back to the drawing board if need be. Please don't take the feedback of your team captains and peers personal, it is only with the aim of helping you do your best and making this collaborative effort the best we can make it. I ask everyone to check any ego at the door and be willing to challenge themselves, the only star of this show is OUR COMMUNITY, OUR SCHOOL, OUR COLLABORATION.

We will make Instagram chat groups for each section to stay connected and not clog the school with ramblings. We will still use the Student Shred Collaboration to upload ideas and such.
We will give ourselves roughly a month to complete this step and there will be periodic check-points to see where everyone is at.

Let's go! ;)

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Kind of not 100 percent down for the idea of being told how to do my part as I'd like some freedom in how I write my solo.. im confused as to why that was decided honesty.. its going to be hard enough working with other people you've never worked with before let alone being told that you can't do something cause it may or may not fit.

I hope in the future this isn't how its gonna be directed because it completely takes away the artists freedom to show people what they want to do. Maybe I have the wrong idea.. bit it os syatying to sound like hey youre gonn so this and you're gonna do this.. and you're gonn do this.. id rather do what feels best for me. Everyone has different vibes and whatnot.

Not trying to start issues or anything mainly an observation of mine. Like i said I may have the wrong idea on how you guys are doing this. I understand giving direction to the newer people who may need a push. But me personally im not sure how comfortable I'll feel when I compose something and you tell me it doesn't fit.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Kind of not 100 percent down for the idea of being told how to do my part as I'd like some freedom in how I write my solo.. im confused as to why that was decided honesty.. its going to be hard enough working with other people you've never worked with before let alone being told that you can't do something cause it may or may not fit.

I hope in the future this isn't how its gonna be directed because it completely takes away the artists freedom to show people what they want to do. Maybe I have the wrong idea.. bit it os syatying to sound like hey youre gonn so this and you're gonna do this.. and you're gonn do this.. id rather do what feels best for me. Everyone has different vibes and whatnot.

Not trying to start issues or anything mainly an observation of mine. Like i said I may have the wrong idea on how you guys are doing this. I understand giving direction to the newer people who may need a push. But me personally im not sure how comfortable I'll feel when I compose something and you tell me it doesn't fit.
Basically, you have a lot of creative freedom. However, it needs to fit the rest of the song because we want people to listen to the whole thing, a incoherent chaotic piece of music is not something people will enjoy listening too. So you get creative freedom but within the boundaries of the song(like working with other people generally works). If it doesn't fit the song you will receive feedback accordingly to change some things, read the part about leave your ego at the door part for that.

We want everybody to sound good including you, if the whole thing is a mess no one will sound good and that's not really an option

Last edited:

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    So, what if we aren’t comfortable writing just yet ?
    also, I don’t want to sound like an idiot (I am blonde so it may just be a moment 😝) but what is a build up ?
    when I think of “build up” I think of a songs that slowly increase in tempo as the song goes on. But I’m assuming that’s not the case if it’s a section...so uh, help ya girl out here lol

So, what if we aren’t comfortable writing just yet ?
    also, I don’t want to sound like an idiot (I am blonde so it may just be a moment 😝) but what is a build up ?
    when I think of “build up” I think of a songs that slowly increase in tempo as the song goes on. But I’m assuming that’s not the case if it’s a section...so uh, help ya girl out here lol
    That is why we assigned the team captains, if you are not comfortable writing we will help you with that.
    A build up is a section that increases the interest leading up to a song's climax.

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Basically, you have a lot of creative freedom. However, it needs to fit the rest of the song because we want people to listen to the whole thing, a incoherent chaotic piece of music is not something people will enjoy listening too. So you get creative freedom but within the boundaries of the song(like working with other people generally works). If it doesn't fit the song you will receive feedback accordingly to change some things, read the part about leave your ego at the door part for that.

We want everybody to sound good including you, if the whole thing is a mess no one will sound good and that's not really an option

Lol... my ego...

You clearly don't know me if you thinnim egotistical lol

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    this all should have been mentioned in the beginning to be honest. Seems were just adding new rules every step.
    I think you're making this way bigger than it is. There is nothing limiting you. It's not like the purpose of this is to tell you what to do. Just do your thing and it is probably fine already. If there is something that's not fine however, keep refining things. Not like throwing everything away.

I'm totally on board with this cause a) it's a COLLAB and not a "everybody presents his solo" and b) limiting what you can do INCREASES your creativity because it limits your options :)
    Not gonna lie, it's still a little intimidating 😂

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Lol... my ego...

You clearly don't know me if you thinnim egotistical lol
    Just gonna pop in my motherly wisdom here. Dominik didn’t say you needed to check YOUR ego, it was meant for everyone as that’s what Ailee said in the op. We all have different ways we play, levels of playing, and kinds of things we prefer to hear, however since it’s multiple people it does need to be cohesive. I imagine you’re still going to be able to get creative with whatever you want to play on your part but it just needs to fit with everything else.
    like, if everyone just played something totally different it wouldn’t mesh well once it’s all put together. Just like anything you do with a group of people be it a school project, a work assignment, etc. it’s going to take communication, understanding, and working towards the end goal.
    I think once you start chatting within your group, it won’t be as daunting or limiting as you may think. 😊

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    So are we going with something new or basing it off/embellishing the backing track ?
    That's up to you, it's best to keep the harmony from the backingtrack though(otherwise you need to overhaul the baseline and piano). But as far as something new goes, get your creative juices flowing but make sure it fits with the other parts.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    So here are the time stamps for each section so you guys can navigate easier for your spot. We tried to devide them so that everyone gets equal playing time. While on paper that might seem easy, in reality it's not. Some people will get a bit more playing time while others will get less. That's nothing personal it's just that the sections of the track aren't the same length. We hope you guys understand!

verse 1 - 0:03

prechorus 1 - 0:39

chorus 1 - 0:52

verse 2 - 1:22

prechorus 2 - 1:58

chorus 2 - 2:11

2:36 - 2:48 - for this section we thought it would be best to not play anything but instead let the lead and the rhythm player ( Jackson and Kfir) just let their notes ring out and slowly fade away

bridge - 2:49

build up 1st part - 3:25 - 3:44

build up 2nd part - 3:44 - 4:03

chorus 3 - 4:04

outro - 4:33

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    So here are the time stamps for each section so you guys can navigate easier for your spot. We tried to devide them so that everyone gets equal playing time. While on paper that might seem easy, in reality it's not. Some people will get a bit more playing time while others will get less. That's nothing personal it's just that the sections of the track aren't the same length. We hope you guys understand!

verse 1 - 0:03

prechorus 1 - 0:39

chorus 1 - 0:52

verse 2 - 1:22

prechorus 2 - 1:58

chorus 2 - 2:11

2:36 - 2:48 - for this section we thought it would be best to not play anything but instead let the lead and the rhythm player ( Jackson and Kfir) just let their notes ring out and slowly fade away

bridge - 2:49

build up 1st part - 3:25 - 3:44

build up 2nd part - 3:44 - 4:03

chorus 3 - 4:04

outro - 4:33
    Thanks bro!

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think you're making this way bigger than it is. There is nothing limiting you. It's not like the purpose of this is to tell you what to do. Just do your thing and it is probably fine already. If there is something that's not fine however, keep refining things. Not like throwing everything away.

I'm totally on board with this cause a) it's a COLLAB and not a "everybody presents his solo" and b) limiting what you can do INCREASES your creativity because it limits your options :)
    Not gonna lie, it's still a little intimidating 😂
    The way its worded makes it sound very very misleading and with ids reply basically telling me everything needs to be a similar sound.. basically if you guys wanted to do a collab song over a solo collab it would been nice to know from the beginning.. both are very different. And knowing we'd have a leader over see parts where people most likely don't need it.. i understand offering services at this rate like i said if the captain doesn't like it (it WILL come down to personal preference) they will make you change it. "It has to be good" more and more fun seems to be taken out with every step. Which was 100% why i thought we were doing it.

Reactions: Anthony Peña