• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

DISCO VOLANTE by Mr. Bungle

Alona Cheb

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
:syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
Syn
:syngates:
Not my kind of music, but I can't wait to check it out! Th
:syngates:Yo family! Wanted to start doing a monthly album discussion based on records that have changed my life and musical path. We are kickin it off with Mr. Bungle’s insanely ambitious sophomore release, Disco Volante.

Jimmy made me a mixtape of some of the most avant-garde shit I had ever heard at 13 years old ranging from Primus, The Residents, Bungle, and beyond.

I HATED this mixtape with a passion for two whole weeks until a small spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

The mixtape had songs from the previous eponymous record which, as obscure as it was to me at the time, paled in comparison to my first listen of Disco.

Already a huge fan of the band, I did however HATE this record for two whole weeks until a spark of curiosity grew rapidly into a deep and profound obsession.

I was pissed that Patton didn’t sing, Spruance didn’t solo, no clown music etc. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Patton’s vocals and the entire bands performance interwoven throughout a chaotically beautiful and terrifying “soundtrack”, transcended anything I’d ever heard before. One of my favorite song writers of all time, Trevor Roy Dunn, composes masterful and incredibly singable atonal brilliance throughout. The man is nothing short of pure genius in my humble opinion.

I now focused solely on orchestrating my guitar parts with deep sensitivity towards the soul of the song. This gift of perspective was the greatest of any in my musical history.

Like ALL of my favorite things in life, this is an acquired taste, so please, give it time.

All my love,
Syn
:syngates:
I love your description, so eloquent. I really can't wait to check it out 🙋🏻‍♀️

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Okay, most of a few listen through done. It is a trip. I expect I'd dig it more if I was on one.

As it is, I have thoughts. It sounds like a compilation of unfinished song ideas and between (or inside) song vignettes and things. I hear a LOT of Zappa in here. My first exposure to stuff like this, at about 15, was Steve Vai's Flex-Able. That still had a lot more traditional structure, but a lot of this sort of thing influenced it. That made me reach back for some Frank, and as I said, this reminds me a lot of some Frank.

I hear the influence of this in definitely some of Jimmy's wackier drum patterns and songwriting. I hear it in Exist a lot - the chaotic breakdown before the part Matt likes because he sings, and in some of the noisier stuff Syn does (the part in the solo before the chaotic part in Exist where he seems like he pulls the string off the edge of the fretboard, and some of the whammy antic stuff).

This is not al album I could sit an listen to just to enjoy as an album, but it's chock full of brilliant snippets of things to influence the vignettes and noisy bits, and there's some really creative ideas and playing and scatting here.

This album, based on the time, would have been analog on tape probably with a manual mixing console, so whoever recorded this and engineered the mix had to have notes from hell, and hands to match - the artistry on display there rivals what's recorded. That's the part that amazed me the most, I think.

I hear stuff like this influencing the bits between songs in Periphery material, and a whole lot of influence on Aussies TWELVE FOOT NINJA.

Very glad I listened to it, and I will definitely listen to more Bungle.

Jamie London

GYNNER
    Staff member
  • Nov 11, 2019
    California
    synner.com
    Found this gem on ye old Google 😂
    A3B45EF3-CF60-4A96-A390-FF33405459F6.jpeg

Reactions: Rad Synner
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Ya check it out and lemme know what you think
    Okay so here I am reporting back from listening to it.

First of all, yo wtf. I did not expect that. This is A LOT to take in, Johnny fucking Christ...

What really took me off guard was actually the lack of ''singing'' from Patton. I know you mentioned that it bugged you too but I actually didnt expect it to be the way it was in the sense that it was just at some parts there in there with no real structure. Like you cant really take any parts and be like ''this is a verse or this is a chorus'' and I feel like its definitively challenging. The one glimpse of singing I can remember we get is at the end of Merry go bye bye! But I think that this style of vocal serves the album they were making by being a bit ''all over the place'' if that makes sense?

But yeah it was really interesting. The one song that stood out to me was ''Desert search of Disco Allah''. I really like the sound choices and how its structured. I would even say that I almost felt like it was a rammstein song at some moments if that makes sense. I just really enjoyed the song!

But yeah this album requires multiple listen. I cant say that its my favorite thing ever as its just too much in one go. But some of the ambiance in this album is quite interesting. I mean, as usual its a blend of so many different thing but like, for exemple, the end of ''the blends'' made me feel like I was straight up in hell (reminds me of home....) but yeah it was a very cool experience!

I'll give it another listen in a few days and see what new things I can catch!

Augusto Abreu

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Brazil
    man...i will always be thankful for for all the crazy music that you exposed me to... i read/watched a bunch of interview of yours and everytime you talk about influences, i discover new music that i never had the pleasure to listen to, from mr bungle to oingo boingo and djago reinhardt. all these different stuff expanded my musical taste/knowlegde in drastic ways! thanks man!

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I've listened to Mr Bungle's debut record quite a bit and I've enjoyed it. The eclectic nature of it is something I hadn't heard before especially to it's extent so I'm curious how Disco Volante will be. I've got it ready to go on Spotify and will listen to it from start to finish starting after I post this comment. I plan on making another comment with my general thoughts on the album and specific songs. Looking forward to it!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Okay, so I saw this post this morning and I gave it a listen for the first time.
    I feel like I should be stoned while listening to this.
    Not going to lie, a lot of it I couldn’t listen to for more than like 30 seconds. SORRY ! 😂

However, oddly I did kind of like “after school special” at first I giggled a bit, but by the end I actually had a weird emotional reaction I wasn’t expecting.

Also.....the voice at the end sounds like that weird ass video I saw a few years ago of i think it was an alien and he was asking if we wanted to touch his butt....ugh I gotta find that video lmao. That’s what popped into my head at the end of this.

Reactions: Syn Gates

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Okay, so I saw this post this morning and I gave it a listen for the first time.
    I feel like I should be stoned while listening to this.
    Not going to lie, a lot of it I couldn’t listen to for more than like 30 seconds. SORRY ! 😂

However, oddly I did kind of like “after school special” at first I giggled a bit, but by the end I actually had a weird emotional reaction I wasn’t expecting.

Also.....the voice at the end sounds like that weird ass video I saw a few years ago of i think it was an alien and he was asking if we wanted to touch his butt....ugh I gotta find that video lmao. That’s what popped into my head at the end of this.
    I found it ! The ending voice on that track made me think of this !

Adin Shepherd

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mr. Bungle is an aural rollercoaster, there are so many twists, turns and loops that it can be a fine line between having fun or throwing up and shitting yourself 😆

Much like Guinness or human flesh, they are an acquired taste 😉

I have yet to listen to this particular album though, will give it spin on the drive home from work.

Israel Stefanello

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I had never heard of Mr. Bungle until I found out that syn and rev had his influences. I was always curious to know what a song would be like mixing styles and changing the tempo of the song with changes of instruments so cool that it becomes so much fun listen and Mr.Bungle has it

had listened to Mr.Bungle and California that are fantastic a mixture of crazy things that I admire the mind behind this music the creativity to do listening to Disco Volante I still didn't totally love it but I separated what I found from one of the songs I liked the most

Violenza Domestica fantastic that tension atmosphere of suspense horror film that they apply mixing with that fantastic Italian accent until it changes to a tone of joy and passion with the harmonica

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Okay so here I am reporting back from listening to it.

First of all, yo wtf. I did not expect that. This is A LOT to take in, Johnny fucking Christ...

What really took me off guard was actually the lack of ''singing'' from Patton. I know you mentioned that it bugged you too but I actually didnt expect it to be the way it was in the sense that it was just at some parts there in there with no real structure. Like you cant really take any parts and be like ''this is a verse or this is a chorus'' and I feel like its definitively challenging. The one glimpse of singing I can remember we get is at the end of Merry go bye bye! But I think that this style of vocal serves the album they were making by being a bit ''all over the place'' if that makes sense?

But yeah it was really interesting. The one song that stood out to me was ''Desert search of Disco Allah''. I really like the sound choices and how its structured. I would even say that I almost felt like it was a rammstein song at some moments if that makes sense. I just really enjoyed the song!

But yeah this album requires multiple listen. I cant say that its my favorite thing ever as its just too much in one go. But some of the ambiance in this album is quite interesting. I mean, as usual its a blend of so many different thing but like, for exemple, the end of ''the blends'' made me feel like I was straight up in hell (reminds me of home....) but yeah it was a very cool experience!

I'll give it another listen in a few days and see what new things I can catch!
    Love it! Ya it takes a commitment but so worth it even if it’s just about understanding the layers a little more. Super helpful and educational

Syn Gates

🦾
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Sep 18, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Okay, most of a few listen through done. It is a trip. I expect I'd dig it more if I was on one.

As it is, I have thoughts. It sounds like a compilation of unfinished song ideas and between (or inside) song vignettes and things. I hear a LOT of Zappa in here. My first exposure to stuff like this, at about 15, was Steve Vai's Flex-Able. That still had a lot more traditional structure, but a lot of this sort of thing influenced it. That made me reach back for some Frank, and as I said, this reminds me a lot of some Frank.

I hear the influence of this in definitely some of Jimmy's wackier drum patterns and songwriting. I hear it in Exist a lot - the chaotic breakdown before the part Matt likes because he sings, and in some of the noisier stuff Syn does (the part in the solo before the chaotic part in Exist where he seems like he pulls the string off the edge of the fretboard, and some of the whammy antic stuff).

This is not al album I could sit an listen to just to enjoy as an album, but it's chock full of brilliant snippets of things to influence the vignettes and noisy bits, and there's some really creative ideas and playing and scatting here.

This album, based on the time, would have been analog on tape probably with a manual mixing console, so whoever recorded this and engineered the mix had to have notes from hell, and hands to match - the artistry on display there rivals what's recorded. That's the part that amazed me the most, I think.

I hear stuff like this influencing the bits between songs in Periphery material, and a whole lot of influence on Aussies TWELVE FOOT NINJA.

Very glad I listened to it, and I will definitely listen to more Bungle.
    Ya man great analysis. For the time I simply cant comprehend how it was made.

Treys guitar work is pretty masterful and takes a few listens to digest.

I also personally LOVE the melodies. They took the longest for me to get into but I think they’re brilliant.