• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fearr

Hayley Frederick

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Still haven’t grown the balls to post a video , I feel like every time I try I fuck it up and it’s not even worth posting. I definitely feel like I’m progressing (no where near good) but does anyone have tips on how to let that anxiety go while making/posting videos ?

Kevin Rosales

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Its all part of the learning process, dont get scared because you might have a couple screw ups here and there, posting your shreddage will boost your confidence. No one is here to to offensively judge, just like syn and papa said “they will not tolerate any offensive remarks. As for feeling no progression thats a normal feeling, be patient with yourself, carefully study every lesson, repeat a lesson as many times as you have to because before you know it youre shredding the shit out of your guitar!

Matt Wildman

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Liberty IN
I had the exact same fear when I was posting my first video! I made at least 6 different videos and posted the best one cause I didn’t want to send a bad video. I’ve learned though that no one cares even if you do post a video and screw up. We’re all learning and make mistakes! Just post the first video you make, and it’s ok if you mess up. Just take a breath, start filming and you’ll be fine. Pretend it’s just you and your guitar!

Noah Berends

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It helps me to forget there’s a camera there at all, and have the mentality that I’m simply playing along with the song I like, and if I play great, then cool. If not, then cool, I’ll start it over and try it again. That’s the beauty of the camera: you can try more than once. You can do it over and over again until you get a take you’re happy with, so there’s no undue pressure (that’s my short plug as a film student, lol). The more you do it, the easier it becomes, so you just gotta jump in and start.

Richard O'connor

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Birmingham, England.
    I’ve uploaded a few videos now but I still get a little nervous recording and uploading them. It does get easier though the more and more you do it. Remember though that this is a safe place and no one is going to say a bad thing against your playing. Only constructive criticism, which everyone can learn from.
    You could just record a bunch of videos for yourself just so you get used to being in front of a camera.
    I wouldn’t worry though, so get uploading =)

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
    Nov 11, 2019
    Croatia
    www.youtube.com
    Once you upload the video, your fear will be gone. It’s just the way it is. The first time will always be scary but once you do it you’ll realise that it’s not so bad. Don’t give your fear the strength to take over you, just say: fuck this, I’m doing it! Also ask yourself why you have that fear. What’s the worst thing that can happen if you upload. The answers is literally nothing bad will happen. Just go for it, you can do it 🙂

Tory Capman

One Stringer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah! We are all students here and the best thing for anyone of any playing level is to just play with as many people as possible. When you collaborate with other musicians you pick up little bits of information and technique that you can’t get from a book. Mistakes are a blessing if you can turn it into productive feedback. You shouldn’t find anyone mean here, just make mistakes and learn from them. Nobody is perfect and this is how you get better!:)

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Fear of the record light is as old as the record light itself. Deep breaths, physical comfort, and doing 100 takes until your subconscious realizes that, “yes, you can back up if you mess up. As often as you want.”
    That’s what will help settle you the most so you can get the take. And it happens to everyone, even Syn.
    … plays the part perfectly 100 times in a row…
    … hits record …
    … noodle, noodle, noodle, TWAAANNNNGGG …
    …FUCK! …
    Back up and do again.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Lenore M

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think it’s normal to get nervous when the camera is on. I do. It really does help to pretend it’s off, and like what someone else already said…maybe film yourself a few times to get used to it first. I have never played everything right in the first take. Ever. You can do it. 🙂

Tyler Koch

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    I find trying to forget the camera is there helps. I sometimes will toss it on for 5 or so minutes at a time, even if Im just trying to record a small lick. That way you can get rid of the jidders in your first few attempts and get comfortable enough to execute it better. I’ll do the same thing when recording a more complicated piece of music as well!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Hayley.

THis is me 10 years ago. posted on youtube to get rid of the jitters you’re talking about now. And dont worry, I dont sound anything like this anymore. I’m just posting this for you to feel better and hav ea good laugh. lol MY GOD THAT TONE IS B AD.