• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Feeling limited

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
@Dominik, I completely get it. I'm not much farther ahead than you. @Ids, I love you brother, but your theory knowledge is so next level that you might be too advanced to teach us mouth-breathing crayon-eaters. I have some thoughts, but I haven't been able to watch @Jak's video yet and I want to be caught up and coherent before I ramble. I will reply soon, and YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I find theory VERY daunting even though I am finding that I intuitively know more than I realized just by virtue of whacking these things around for 35 years.
Ed, just so you know, Dan Donegan knows no theory. And you said yourself that you have no problem with his lead playing.

Reactions: Ed Seith

Edward John

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
UK
Guys, I am starting to feel bad because it seems to me like I am just complaining, but I really just can't find a start 😂
Think of me as a new guy, name's Chad, who picked up the guitar a week ago, not even knowing what alternate picking is, cuz that's formally introduced in the advanced section here.
1583335584943.png

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
Hey Dominik! I've felt like this so many times in the past, and it's usually just before a 'light-bulb moment' in my playing.

When you're improvising, you want to have things practiced so much that any time you're playing over a chord progression, that you don't have to think of any theory. It's sorta like trying to have a conversation in a foreign language while referring to a dictionary, it'll only leave you stopping and starting. You basically want to know what the notes you are about to play will sound like before you play them. Kind of like if you were singing over some chords, all of your notes would be authentic, and controlled by your ear, not just your knowledge.

That's great that you have your Minor Pentatonic all over the neck! You can do so much with just that scale alone improvisation wise.

Here are some Minor Pentatonic hacks/Soloing hacks to get your teeth into (Try sticking on an A minor jam track and doing these) :

1. Sliding to each note in the scale from a fret behind/half-step below.
2. Adding the b5/Blue note into your scale in every shape (Look up A minor blues scale - it's a Minor Pentatonic with the extra note added)
3. Try playing E minor Pentatonic over the track instead of A min - This is a bit of Pentatonic superimposition (sounds complicated but isn't) this will mean you're adding the notes E G A B D over the A minor harmony, which will give your solo a different color. You are basically borrowing the pentatonic scale from the 5th chord in A natural minor.
4. Look up some Major and Minor Arpeggio shapes and try playing these over the track: A minor arpeggio, C Major arpeggio, E minor arpeggio, G major arpeggio. (You can use the sliding from a halfstep below technique with these too)
5. Try singing or humming something over the track, then try and figure out what you sang on the fretboard. Don't worry about it being fancy, just make sure you like it, and then try and copy it.

I'd be better explaining exactly how I get this approach in a private message, as I don't want to write a book in this post haha! Basically there's a really logical way of looking at a Key that gives you these options :)

Hope this helps!
Simply GREAT suggestions.

• Love
Reactions: Chris Johnston

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Reactions: carlosmqr
J

Jak Angelescu

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this Video! I definetly got a Lot Out of it.

But I am have to say this. You and A LOT of the active guys Here also have somewhat of a Background in theory of Just the topics of the beginners section. Although I Play since quite a while I don't. It's like picking up guitar all over again. And I feel like the lessons don't Always give you quite enough to apply them when you are starting at 0. I don't say they are bad, it's Just that you're gonna have a hard time without preexisting knowledge. And I get where that comes from, as a guitarist that knows what he's doing and knows His stuff in years it will be hard to Imagine what a newbie needs in Order to make the Most Out of His playing.

So I Want to give some more Info / questions for you. Up to the CAGED system PG didn't exactly go into how the Key, chords and the scales Work together. He says you can do it now but can I? It's Like throwing in snippets or examples but I don't get the full Picture or can apply it. So I am Not Sure how to really apply the pentatonic scale over a chord Progression. Hah! Chord Progression. So how do I even write one?

I don't know to be honest. You say we should Focus on chords but we only "learned" campfire chords Up to this Point. So when I am writing a Song with These chords without lead playing. Why would I use the CAGED system? After all it tells you how to play the Same chord in a different Position. I assume going down the Neck the chords change, idk then it's a c2 and not a c1. But I don't KNOW this. So this is where my Limits currently are. That is why I am asking myself "why should I practice These chords when I don't know how to make use of them?"

Oookay, enough Said now. I Hope I don't seem angry or complaining, Just trying to articulate the questions that Pop Up in my mind 😂
I'll make another video tonight to this. Too much to type🥰

• Love
Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I was and still facing the same problem (not with the caged system but in general, with some scales and modes like phrygian dominant). I went through the whole thread and found some useful tips, especially from Jak's video. She mentioned that it depends on what type of guitarist you wanna be feels so true. Same about writing stuff. Recently I took writing songs a little bit more seriously than before and I am slowly, or actually being forced, to understand some dynamics of chord progressions, modes etc etc (which i am liking a lot). Plus a crap ton of improvising (trying to) on different backing tracks. This is helping me getting out of this static phase of playing same licks, riffs again and again, I believe.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
May 27, 2020
Toronto, Ontario
Hi guys... reviving an old thread. Went digging a little while there's some downtime at work lol. Going to watch the videos posted here later when I have speakers. How is everyone's motivation levels now, over 3 months after the inception of this thread? I feel my motivation levels dipping slightly here too but I think that's the result of trying to take on too much at a time. I feel mild guilt when I haven't picked up the guitar for more than a day! so I was digging around and seeing if anyone else had felt the same lack of motivation or progress stagnation.

I'm actively trying to remind myself I only picked up the guitar about 1 month ago, and comparing to when I first started there's been a lot of progress made at least. But still nowhere at the comfort level where I would like to contribute anything video wise haha. For all the things that don't make sense I'm hoping with time and patience it will fall into place! In the meantime, how did it work out for you guys, 3 months later?

Reactions: Jak Angelescu
J

Jak Angelescu

Hi guys... reviving an old thread. Went digging a little while there's some downtime at work lol. Going to watch the videos posted here later when I have speakers. How is everyone's motivation levels now, over 3 months after the inception of this thread? I feel my motivation levels dipping slightly here too but I think that's the result of trying to take on too much at a time. I feel mild guilt when I haven't picked up the guitar for more than a day! so I was digging around and seeing if anyone else had felt the same lack of motivation or progress stagnation.

I'm actively trying to remind myself I only picked up the guitar about 1 month ago, and comparing to when I first started there's been a lot of progress made at least. But still nowhere at the comfort level where I would like to contribute anything video wise haha. For all the things that don't make sense I'm hoping with time and patience it will fall into place! In the meantime, how did it work out for you guys, 3 months later?

I used to be like you to where I felt guilt because I didn't pick up the guitar for a day. But the truth is is that I'm an adult and sometimes I have other priorities and sometimes I'm too tired or mentally drained to play and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sorry to see that you've been slipping a little bit in motivation but I totally understand when you feel like you take on too much at once it can feel overwhelming. It's for this reason that I decided to hire a guitar teacher. Having a personal teacher has helped me stay on track and not take too much on at once. My motivation has actually been through the roof ever since I hired someone like that!

Imactuallyadrummer

Campfire Attention Holder
May 27, 2020
Toronto, Ontario
I used to be like you to where I felt guilt because I didn't pick up the guitar for a day. But the truth is is that I'm an adult and sometimes I have other priorities and sometimes I'm too tired or mentally drained to play and there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sorry to see that you've been slipping a little bit in motivation but I totally understand when you feel like you take on too much at once it can feel overwhelming. It's for this reason that I decided to hire a guitar teacher. Having a personal teacher has helped me stay on track and not take too much on at once. My motivation has actually been through the roof ever since I hired someone like that!

Do you still do lessons now? I don't think I can get anything like that ATM due to a particular microscopic entity right now

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain

I took an online teacher too and it's working fine with me. I subscribed his course, which is cool for beginners, just the basics to start playing, and it's totally at my own pace. I send my questions or videos to him when I can and he gives me his feedback. Also, he posts a lot of his tutorials on YouTube

• Love
J

Jak Angelescu

Lol Ethan giving our man a shameless plug 🤘🤘

In all seriousness, if you DO decide to look for a private teacher, Bill (mine and Ethan's teacher) gives a free introductory lesson to the students here because of me. Syn even acknowledges that private lessons are amazing.

Bill's played with Savatage, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Doro Pesch and has his own solid band on nuclear blast records. He was taught by Kiko loureiro and is really awesome.

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm a lot more motivated to practice. I mean I play guitar at least a little bit everyday but it isn't always practicing Nescecarily it can also be just noodling or writing chord progressions (which may both be practicing too but not as directed).

You don't need to practice every day. Having a guitar in your hand will help you get familiar with the instrument and therefore boost your playing too.

On the subject of not being good enough to upload a video. By all means please upload one maybe we can help you and give some direction on what you should focus on so it isn't as overwhelming anymore

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Man is this thread so old already? I feel like I am a different player now. Have to go through everything again and see what I think of it now! I am very motivated because I found a way to progress with theory and still have fun, so that's great. Although I will have a little less time from now on for a couple of reasons. Right @Jak Angelescu 🧐

J

Jak Angelescu

Man is this thread so old already? I feel like I am a different player now. Have to go through everything again and see what I think of it now! I am very motivated because I found a way to progress with theory and still have fun, so that's great. Although I will have a little less time from now on for a couple of reasons. Right @Jak Angelescu 🧐
    I have ZERO clue what you're talking about🤐🤐🤭🤭🤪🤪🤣🤣🤣