• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Fender CEO wants to sign Syn

Daniel Sobota

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Dubrovnik, Croatia
So this is interesting. Just found out about this on Reddit. Fender CEO talks about Syn quite positively and would like to sign him to his company. While it's obvious that Syn won't leave Schecter any time soon, this is pretty flattering. I'm happy that our boy is getting the recognition he deserves.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    He certainly is more in tune with actual guitar and players and playing than the idiots running Gibson right now. It's refreshing. I almost bought an American Ultra Strat last year when I got the Ernie Ball. Ultimately, Fender still wasn't making guitars with stainless steel frets, and if I've got two relatively equal choices, I'll take the one with stainless every time.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    That was a nice read, learned some new words too. Weird seeing slash playing a Strat :unsure: sounds cool though, slowly starting to hear the difference in thickness in tones. I do like both, going to practice only 3 chords again, my technique feels off. Having trouble playing stuff I could play before, anyone else had this problem before? I heard/read somewhere the brain can only remember up to like 150 songs or something before it rewrites itself. I don't know that many songs, just saying I feel weird, am a bit worried and kind of want to quit guitar now. Been thinking about it for a few days now. :'(

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    That was a nice read, learned some new words too. Weird seeing slash playing a Strat :unsure: sounds cool though, slowly starting to hear the difference in thickness in tones. I do like both, going to practice only 3 chords again, my technique feels off. Having trouble playing stuff I could play before, anyone else had this problem before? I heard/read somewhere the brain can only remember up to like 150 songs or something before it rewrites itself. I don't know that many songs, just saying I feel weird, am a bit worried and kind of want to quit guitar now. Been thinking about it for a few days now. :'(

Don't give up man! We all have those days, Mines was definitely yesterday (& maybe today too) 😂 Take some time to refresh and jump back on the horse, you'll feel better 😊

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Would be cool to see a headless fender special
    Fender and Gibson are in a really tough spot, like Porsche was for a long time. The money rolls in from the traditionalists (sadly, people like me but not me, in both cases) who have STRONG opinions about what "their brand" should be, and changing anything significant dilutes the brand and makes the product less desirable.

Gibson has tried to innovate, but they do it sloppy and tend to do it across entire product lines. The robotuners were never a bad idea, and I know people who loved them, but THE PURISTS freaked out about a Les Paul with them and so Gibson was shunned for it. That set them back. If they'd introduced such things only on certain models first, like that "updated" Flying V or something, and then let them catch on, they'd have done better.

Fender really hasn't done much, as far as innovation. They tweak their pickups, I think. But they also offer models with a humbucker in the bridge, which is a slight nod to non-traditionalism (though it's been around so long now that it's kinda traditional - Davey from Maiden was putting hummers in Strats in the early 80s, among others).

Both could do it, but they go about it wrong. They need to ease into it so as not to upset their cash cows too much.

In other words, the odds of anyone alive today seeing a headless Fender before they need dentures is slim.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    No reason to quit. You've come a long way already. If you're burnt out, take a few days off - you'll be itching to play again soon!

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    Fender and Gibson are in a really tough spot, like Porsche was for a long time. The money rolls in from the traditionalists (sadly, people like me but not me, in both cases) who have STRONG opinions about what "their brand" should be, and changing anything significant dilutes the brand and makes the product less desirable.

Gibson has tried to innovate, but they do it sloppy and tend to do it across entire product lines. The robotuners were never a bad idea, and I know people who loved them, but THE PURISTS freaked out about a Les Paul with them and so Gibson was shunned for it. That set them back. If they'd introduced such things only on certain models first, like that "updated" Flying V or something, and then let them catch on, they'd have done better.

Fender really hasn't done much, as far as innovation. They tweak their pickups, I think. But they also offer models with a humbucker in the bridge, which is a slight nod to non-traditionalism (though it's been around so long now that it's kinda traditional - Davey from Maiden was putting hummers in Strats in the early 80s, among others).

Both could do it, but they go about it wrong. They need to ease into it so as not to upset their cash cows too much.

In other words, the odds of anyone alive today seeing a headless Fender before they need dentures is slim.
    I actually sort of disagree about fender.

I mean of course they stay traditional and thats what works best for them and they know it! But they have tried new and weird thing a lot. They have this series called ''parallel universe'' where they try new things, new body shapes, new pickups combination, and its always a one off series which means that they produce a certain batch of those guitars and thats it. But every year its something different. its their way of testing the water.

Technology wise, yeah they tweak a lot their pickups and do actually try different things but its much more subtle. I would agree that they haven't done anything really groundbreaking!

Now I dont think that they would make a headless anytime soon but I would say that with the weird things they do, its not impossible as a one off just for the sake of it

G

Gemma G.S.

Please don't quit! Take a break if you gotta, step back and collect yourself, but don't quit!

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I actually sort of disagree about fender.

I mean of course they stay traditional and thats what works best for them and they know it! But they have tried new and weird thing a lot. They have this series called ''parallel universe'' where they try new things, new body shapes, new pickups combination, and its always a one off series which means that they produce a certain batch of those guitars and thats it. But every year its something different. its their way of testing the water.

Technology wise, yeah they tweak a lot their pickups and do actually try different things but its much more subtle. I would agree that they haven't done anything really groundbreaking!

Now I dont think that they would make a headless anytime soon but I would say that with the weird things they do, its not impossible as a one off just for the sake of it
    Fair point, I forgot about the parallel stuff!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner