• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Floyd rose worK

Dan Shipway

Slim Shady
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Hey guys, I have been pretty slack on my rammstein covers for one simple reason, the Floyd Rose on my Jackson. It has been a pain for a while and I haven’t dared tune it. I have decide to try and there are a number of problems. The main one is tension balance. I went from using 9-42 to 11-54 and thought that the change in tuning from standard to drop C would sort it but this isn’t the case. At the moment its really far forward but I haven’t got a clue what I’m doing with the screws. I want to try and sort it myself because I don’t want to pay extortionate amounts of money for something that could be a simple fix.
    Any tips?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Basically tightening the screws increase the tension in the strings and makes the bridge go towards the body, similarly loosening the screw will make it go away from the body. Don’t go to rigorous with it, turn them slightly and then tune your guitar to check whether it’s correct and repeat until it is parallel with the body.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    If the Floyd is leaning too far forward (toward the neck), you need to tighten the screws to level. It will be a constant back and forth between tightening the screws and tuning until the trem is level. You can do it.
    There’s more and more demand for it here, so I will be doing a detailed video soon. I have my 1990 RG550 that I’ll be changing string gauges and tuning on, so a good walkthrough of the restringing, adjustment, and tuning process will all be covered, and should be good for any beginner or intermediate Floyd-equipped guitarists.
    It’s just a matter of the time. Soon. I promise.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Theres a good video or two on YouTube.i did this myself too after not being sure on it. A lot of things I wasnt sure on you give helped fix.
    Little turns at a time. Dont over do it. And you have to retune it everytime you adjust the strings. You’ll realize it stays in tune just obviously way low or high depending on how far off the bridge is. It’s easy.
    First time took me 2 hours. Bow it takes 10 minutes.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    My black 1990 RG550 has been in limbo – it currently has 09-46’s on it, tuned to Drop Eb. I’ll be swapping to 11-48s and going for D standard on it, so there will be a number of things covered. Not sure I’ll include intonation, because (especially on a Floyd) that’s long, tedious, and fairly advanced setup, but I will cover restringing, tuning up for success, adjusting the float and anything else that happens within those tasks. It will probably be very long, but I’ll get the right angle to show things clearly.