• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Landing Tones - Lesson 3

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
I hear ya. That’s why we started with the “dictionary” and now we are working on specific application. Ask stupid questions tho. It’s all about getting to the right questions and rarely does anyone start with the right question. Learning is an art in and of itself. The more you practice “learning”, the better everyone can help. Best to stop and ask a question every time u don’t understand something. You’ll get an answer. The only fucked thing is....there are infinite questions to be asked, you literally just have to chip away at it for a lifetime lol

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
i went back and looked and when he started talking about a13 chords i just dont know that much yet so i may be trying too hard..i dont know
No that’s perfect!! If you continue with the lessons, the 13 chord will come up or you can reference them in the general lessons
@Brian Haner Sr. can you refer John to the right lessons?

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
No that’s perfect!! If you continue with the lessons, the 13 chord will come up or you can reference them in the general lessons
@Brian Haner Sr. can you refer John to the right lessons?
thank you sir..i just want to learn all that i can and i may be pushing too hard..if i do something its go big or go home...thank you for your reply

Reactions: Ed Seith

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
i went back and looked and when he started talking about a13 chords i just dont know that much yet so i may be trying too hard..i dont know
Also I just used the search engine located top right and typed in 13 chords and it brought up some stuff. One of which was Blues lesson 9 “color chords”. I scrolled thru the tab and saw some 13 chord tabs and diagrams. There’s more than one way to skin a cat here. Use search function and ask a fuck ton of questions

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
This lesson is going to be immensely helpful as I have too much of an issue with landing on safe notes and still after a year of practice the concept of tension and release is a little difficult for me. I really look forward to digging into this tomorrow
me too but right now my fingers are sore as hell...it may be beer time

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
This lesson is going to be immensely helpful as I have too much of an issue with landing on safe notes and still after a year of practice the concept of tension and release is a little difficult for me. I really look forward to digging into this tomorrow
i went and looked at the lesson syn told me about and im starting to get my head wrapped around it so wish me luck

TreSavedge

Free Bird Player
  • Nov 25, 2019
    St Louis, MO
    In my opinion this lesson rules. Tension and release is the foundation of all music and gives purpose to it's existence. Going somewhere tells the story. His baby left him... but then he picked up his baby, his baby came back etc. This is all a microcosm of life itself because tension or release alone without the other is a meaningless boring existence. If his baby was always there or he never met his baby and nothing happened, it could never be an HBO series. From a musical perspective, mastering melody/improv, releasing the tension you create, and making the instrument essentially an extension of your voice is the ultimate goal of expression. Knowing what you will play almost before it happens is the ultimate sense of oneness with the music. But at the same time one can never get there because perfection is impossible so you are just in this constant cycle of improvment but never completely "getting there" no matter how great you get at music, essentially living out the tension and release of the melodies you play every time you improve or hit a plateau. But we soldier on anyway because we are here and we might as well. Kind of trippy to think about.

Last edited:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    You know what's awesome is that this actually is a good lesson for singers as well!
    Thank you, J! The quickest way to expand as a "true musician" is to study musicians who play other instruments. Especially vocalists! A voice is the purest instrument. There are no strings, valves, reeds, keys, etc. to interpret or get in the way of your initial sound.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    thank you sir..i just want to learn all that i can and i may be pushing too hard..if i do something its go big or go home...thank you for your reply
    If you're having issues with the 7 9 and 13s dont fret. Those chords are new to me as well. One thing you can do is maybe take the chord lessons in the beginner lessons and get used to the sounds of the basic open chords. Then work your way up from there. Theres a lesson (I'm sure pg will link you I can remember which one it is) that helps you find some of these chords. You're right you may be just rushing yourself to the blues.

Reactions: John Robinson

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I know when I play if I find a note I dont like I try to resolve it with a hammer on it pull off etc. Its just a matter of finding the notes that sound off. It's sometimes harder then you know.