• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Landing Tones - Lesson 3

J

Jak Angelescu

I have watched this twice and I am sorely confused. I thought that watching it once, and playing around with it and coming back to it it would make sense to me.

All those little noodles in between each chord, what exactly are you trying to demonstrate with that? Are you showing us like for example In a D7 chord, you can start your noodles on a D and then end on a D? I apologize I literally JUST learned today what 7th chords are, and there was a butt load of info in here that I feel like this 🤪
Also, how would one recommend practicing this concept? I tried reading "Syn's Tips" but there aren't any there. Thank you so much! I'll keep watching this over and try to mess around. All in all, I get what this lesson is teaching and I'm so thankful for it! I'm just a little lost.

PS: If someone can make me a chord chart for the chords used in here I'll bake and send you brownies. The tabs don't really show how to play the chords he's playing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
Staff member
Legend+
Fucking Legend
Nov 11, 2019
I have watched this twice and I am sorely confused. I thought that watching it once, and playing around with it and coming back to it it would make sense to me.

All those little noodles in between each chord, what exactly are you trying to demonstrate with that? Are you showing us like for example In a D7 chord, you can start your noodles on a D and then end on a D? I apologize I literally JUST learned today what 7th chords are, and there was a butt load of info in here that I feel like this 🤪
Also, how would one recommend practicing this concept? I tried reading "Syn's Tips" but there aren't any there. Thank you so much! I'll keep watching this over and try to mess around. All in all, I get what this lesson is teaching and I'm so thankful for it! I'm just a little lost.

PS: If someone can make me a chord chart for the chords used in here I'll bake and send you brownies. The tabs don't really show how to play the chords he's playing.
It's really about safe places to land. So you can start on any note and "noodle" - but you want to end up or "land" on a safe note over a given chord. So - yes - it's always safe to land on D when the chord is a D7. But you could also land on F#, A or C - which are the other notes in a D7 chord. Landing on D is the sturdiest place to land. The other notes will all work - but they will give you a sense of being unresolved to one degree or another.
Point is you don't want to land on an Eb over a D7 chord. You can "noodle" around and play an Eb (or any other note) over a D7 - but when you come to a stop and land on your final note - it needs to be something from the chord. (D - F# - A - C)
Make sense?

J

Jak Angelescu

It's really about safe places to land. So you can start on any note and "noodle" - but you want to end up or "land" on a safe note over a given chord. So - yes - it's always safe to land on D when the chord is a D7. But you could also land on F#, A or C - which are the other notes in a D7 chord. Landing on D is the sturdiest place to land. The other notes will all work - but they will give you a sense of being unresolved to one degree or another.
Point is you don't want to land on an Eb over a D7 chord. You can "noodle" around and play an Eb (or any other note) over a D7 - but when you come to a stop and land on your final note - it needs to be something from the chord. (D - F# - A - C)
Make sense?
OK yeah that actually makes perfect sense! Now that I go back and I watched the lesson again I understand it. To be honest I think I was too captivated by what you were playing and I probably just wasn't paying attention😂
I know exactly what I will practice and how I will practice this tomorrow! Thank you so much papa!

Syn Gates

🦾
Staff member
Legend+
Sep 18, 2019
Huntington Beach
Also, I’m a little behind with “Syn’s Tips” but hope to get a chunk of em done by end of the weekend.

landing tones to me are just that, desired tones to land on. This is by far the hardest thing for me to do til this day. I spent very little time in my formative years on this and it shows in my improv. I actually like the way I start motifs and develop melody but when I stop a phrase, it’s never ever what I want to do. This is because I’m not use to thinking about it during my playing so it will never be second nature for me unfortunately. I’ll expound more soon but this is an important one. Great speakers know when they’ve said all they need to say and ALWAYS build to a perfect ending.

J

Jak Angelescu

Also, I’m a little behind with “Syn’s Tips” but hope to get a chunk of em done by end of the weekend.

landing tones to me are just that, desired tones to land on. This is by far the hardest thing for me to do til this day. I spent very little time in my formative years on this and it shows in my improv. I actually like the way I start motifs and develop melody but when I stop a phrase, it’s never ever what I want to do. This is because I’m not use to thinking about it during my playing so it will never be second nature for me unfortunately. I’ll expound more soon but this is an important one. Great speakers know when they’ve said all they need to say and ALWAYS build to a perfect ending.
Thank you for your input, Syn!! Awesome and inspirational as always💚🖤💚

Reactions: idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen

Its weird how differently people are trained in this. I used to have a guitar teacher where I had guitar lessons with until like 2.5 years ago or so and all that really was was him teaching me a chord progression and then trade soloing over it. After a while I got bored with ending on the same notes all the time so I started thinking about other notes to land on, which always where the chord tones. Later on when I got into John Mayer I found a video about him landing on sevenths even when it's not in the chord to grab the listener's attention so I started experimenting with notes that could be in the chord and rest on those.

It amazes me that you say you're struggling with it in your improv because in your solos you seem to always end on the right one

Reactions: Ethan Keeling
J

Jak Angelescu

OK! I have been working so ridiculously hard for the last several days on this lesson trying to get the concept down. I think I may be getting it down! I realized that unless you know where the notes are in the scale and you know the chord progression and are comfortable with both concepts, it's quite literally impossible to get this concept down. So I learned the chord progressions in this blues backing track in D major trying to combine Lesson 26's position. I tried to start simple by starting on the root notes of the chord being played and trying to end on the root note of the chord being played. It's difficult but I'll get it! I would really appreciate it if somebody could tell me if I'm at least getting the concept down and understanding it. Thank you everyone! It's not a crazy jam it was just me literally trying to Doodle around with the concept

Reactions: idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection
J

Jak Angelescu

Yes! You are really close. Try this. Same backing track. Start on the D note then noodle your way back to D. When it goes to G - play a G note and noodle your way back to G. Then do the same with A. In other words - start AND end on the root of each chord.
You're doing great!
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I was trying to do but the chords actually change a little bit faster than what I thought they did and it was a good challenge. Thank you for clarifying this I'm going to work on it today again and get it solid! That really meant the world to me!

Reactions: Calvin Phillips