• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Picks

Gabriel Corso

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I prefer picks that are from 0.5- 1.0
But my favorite must be the tortex 0.5 (the orange one).
But depends on the day, or what I am playing.
Sometimes I try to keep switching picks in order to study or to learn a difficult solo.

Rod Azeite

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I personally can’t play anything under .8 comfortably unless im only strumming because of the flop. I don’t know if there’s a way you can hold the pick to fight that but it makes the pick feel sluggish to me, like its dragging over the strings rather than picking them. Just my opinion!

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I used a 1.14 Tortex Jazz III for a while to help correct some picking problems, but as a rule I stick to thick. Currently it’s the Ultex Jazz III. It’s between 1.5 and 2.0 mm thick, but I don’t know exactly. It doesn’t flex and they last for weeks of hard playing. Sure, they’re the color of stale piss, but nothing’s perfect.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    In the sampler I got, there was one of those 2.0 blacks. They feel different. Too slippery and very plasticky. I didn’t care for them. I did also just discover a white Tortex 1.5 I’ll try out, and I’ll also re-evaluate my old faithful, the 2.0mm Jazz Stubby (I used those for 25 years).

Rod Azeite

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Holy jesus that’s a lot of time to use the same pick! I started out with 3.0 mm stubbies but the grip wasn’t quite right, then I went over to gator grip .96s which felt great but were a little lacking in width, then I used the Kirk Hammett ones as my primary ones for like a month until I discovered the gator grip 2’s and just became addicted. I still have a lot of picks I wanna try out but it takes time to get a good reading on each one