• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Slide Guitar - Lesson 18

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    You've got the start of the mechanics down, Alicia. Your muting behind the slide is good. I actually just ordered one of those Papa slides. I've been using glass for decades and I just haven't felt inspired by it in a long time, so I'll see what happens. I've always put it on the ring finger too.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    You've got the start of the mechanics down, Alicia. Your muting behind the slide is good. I actually just ordered one of those Papa slides. I've been using glass for decades and I just haven't felt inspired by it in a long time, so I'll see what happens. I've always put it on the ring finger too.
    Yay ! I was really trying to mute like papa said in the video , the sound is shit but for my first attempt I was excited I atleast got some kind of sound lol. I bought a glass slide many months ago and only got to use it for like one minute literally before I broke it lol. I’m too clumsy for glass objects 🤣
    I can’t wait to hear you playing some slide guitar ! No doubt it’s going to be fucking beautiful !!!

Last edited:
    • Haha
    Reactions: idssdi and Ed Seith

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    Yay ! I was really trying to mute like papa said in the video , the sound is shit but for my first attempt I was excited I atleast got some kind of sound lol. I bought a glass slide many months ago and only got to use it for like one minute literally before I broke it lol. I’m too clumsy for glass objects 🤣
    I can’t wait to hear you playing some slide guitar ! No doubt it’s going to be fucking beautiful !!!

I have WAY less time in with it than Papa does. I played slide for one song with my old band in the mid-90s. It was a heavier song, and I used the slide full-crunch. I also did use hybrid stuff like Papa talked about, playing fretted notes along with it, but nothing to papa's level.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Question! So, I Know PG talked about open tunings but said that he himself doesn't typically use them.
    I've looked online and I can't really find out why open tunings are used, but I was wondering if it makes it sound better?
    I know its only my second day trying it, but even when I get a note/slide and it sounds accurate, it still kind of just sounds like shit. Like the tone of the note sounds really ugly, if this makes sense..
    Does an open tuning make it sound better ? I saw that open E is the most common tuning for it.

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah. Basically you can play an entire chord with the slide on one fret. There are also some soloing advantages - esp using a G tuning. D G D G B D. (drop the two E strings to D and the A string to G). The big advantage here is there is a minor 3rd between the top 2 strings instead of a 4th. Very musical!

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah. Basically you can play an entire chord with the slide on one fret. There are also some soloing advantages - esp using a G tuning. D G D G B D. (drop the two E strings to D and the A string to G). The big advantage here is there is a minor 3rd between the top 2 strings instead of a 4th. Very musical!
    Thanks Papa G ! I’m going to give that a try !😃

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019

so, it’s been awhile ! I’ll admit I stopped practicing this for awhile because I got ridiculously frustrated. I’m still slightly frustrated but having more fun haha. I am having some issues such as sustaining multiple slides if anyone has a suggestion for that I would love to hear it ! 🙂

I didn’t post to the riffs because I’ve not seen anyone else doing slide, so I figured this was the best place for my video.

Reactions: carlosmqr