• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tips For Beginners

J

Jak Angelescu

Hey there! I have been getting a lot of great questions from beginners on this site about how to really get the most out of each lesson and how to apply it to the guitar. So I thought I’d start a little forum where we can all share our tips on how we all apply the lessons to our playing.
The first thing I noticed, was over Lesson 7 of the major scale. This is what I’d like to offer…
I spend an hour a day for an entire week on each lesson to really get the most out of it. So with the major scale, I’d like to actually encourage everyone to play the scale up the neck like Papa Gates does in the beginning when he describes the “whole whole half whole whole whole half” thing. The reason why, is because you get to see the pattern of how the tones work. The more you do this, you start to HEAR and recognize what may be a whole step or a half step. The more you go up the neck and see the spacing of the tones, it may help you apply it to the other strings. It helped me a lot knowing my place around the neck without needing to know all the modes. It gave me a better idea of where I could go.
Also, remember to name each of the note in the scale all the way up and back down again. Going backwards is challenging because we are so use to memorizing the alphabet forward. So take your time. Believe me, this will be beneficial in the later days of your playing!
Start getting in to theory a little early. Use Google to your advantage and you’ll see quickly that there are no sharps or flats in the key of Cmajor. So while you name these notes, you’re learning the key signature as well 🙂
Finally, start improving as soon as you get familiar with the scale! I was a big fan of this track because it’s slow, steady, and the changes are really simple to hear. In other lessons, Papa Gates mentions “The resolve”. Go steady and just get use to hearing how the scale sounds over chord progressions.

Final tip: Be patient and take your time so that the lessons really sink in. Have fun!

• Love
Reactions: Anthony Peña

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Personally i spent as much time on a lesson aa it takes me to actually get it. It can be days, weeks, months even years. The amount of time I spent each day depends on how long it takes for me to be mentally exhausted(i would not really advice it because it makes the fun time less fun sometimes)