• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The G Shape – Lesson 26

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
My question is,can you combine arpeggios,pentatonic scales and major scales while you're playing?I mean all that in one?
Basically the major pentatonic scale is the major scale without the 4th and 7th, so yes you can definetely combine them. It all depends on the sound you're going for. Arpeggios are broken chords so you can always play an Arpeggio over the chord.

Reactions: Roli Papp

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Does anyone have any tips for playing the G-shape chord? I can more or less do the C-shape chord; I can do with the A-shape chord with a few clunkers that should smooth out over time; but the G-shape chord is really difficult, mostly because I have relatively small hands.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
The g shape is by far the hardest. But I've learned you can basically play a e shape and it's pretty much the same amount of notes in the sweep. Almost every note in the e shape is also in the g. I think theres 1 note that isn't in the actual 6 string sweep in each. But if you played it fast you wouldnt know the difference

Synner Endless Summer Collection

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Does anyone have any tips for playing the G-shape chord? I can more or less do the C-shape chord; I can do with the A-shape chord with a few clunkers that should smooth out over time; but the G-shape chord is really difficult, mostly because I have relatively small hands.
First try the a shape but the first inversion, so third in the bass and bar with your pointing finger.

For example take a C chord a shape first inversion. Play the 7th fret on the A string with your ring finger and bar the 5th fret on the D, G and B string with your pointing finger. When your comfortable with that you can add the 8th fret on the low E string with your pinky making it a C chord in the G shape.

Andrew Chung

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
First try the a shape but the first inversion, so third in the bass and bar with your pointing finger.

For example take a C chord a shape first inversion. Play the 7th fret on the A string with your ring finger and bar the 5th fret on the D, G and B string with your pointing finger. When your comfortable with that you can add the 8th fret on the low E string with your pinky making it a C chord in the G shape.
Okay, that does help. I'll practice that for a few days and see how it goes. Thanks man!

Reactions: idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection