• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Extreme improv Challenge 👺👺👹👹😱😱

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Transferring ideas from your head to your fingers definitely is a process you need to go through. This also isn't an easy backingtrack to solo over due to those little ending bits but you did kind of ok! I did notice you were looking for the right notes at times, did you seek out the chord progression before you started?

thank you!

what I actually do is trying to get by ear the root note of the chords as a starting point to try to visualize on the fretboard the notes that could work, it is kind of unconscious I would say... Also I try to identify the chord changes and try to figure out which notes fit better with each chord. I do it at the beginning of the improv, later I get lost most times trying to do both things at the same time 😅. I guess practice is the key to make some progress.

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
thank you!

what I actually do is trying to get by ear the root note of the chords as a starting point to try to visualize on the fretboard the notes that could work, it is kind of unconscious I would say... Also I try to identify the chord changes and try to figure out which notes fit better with each chord. I do it at the beginning of the improv, later I get lost most times trying to do both things at the same time 😅. I guess practice is the key to make some progress.
I'm not sure how confident you are with theory but what works for me is knowing the chords and the chord changes and know the colors in the chords. So for example if you have this backingtrack you have Am|F|C|E and then an in between bit of E|F|E|G#|E and from that you can deduce a scale you can use which already gives you a bit of a roadmap on the notes that sound good 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
I'm not sure how confident you are with theory but what works for me is knowing the chords and the chord changes and know the colors in the chords. So for example if you have this backingtrack you have Am|F|C|E and then an in between bit of E|F|E|G#|E and from that you can deduce a scale you can use which already gives you a bit of a roadmap on the notes that sound good 😅
I’m totally new to theory: pentatonics and some major scale and caged,but far away from having it mastered , that’s all 😝
I’m in the process of understanding how to apply on the fretboard, and that’s why I wanted to try this challenge. I really wanna dig deeper into theory.
For instance what you say about how you deduct the scale makes sense to me but I’m not really quick yet to work it out on the guitar.
I must learn something about the colors in the chords, choosing the landing notes and that stuff that I don’t know how works

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com

It's been a long day so excuse my sloppy look. Here's mine!
    Some self reflection, cuz I think that is a really good thing to do:
    I do have some nice chops in there that line up well with the backing track.
    However I do have quite some spots that really break the flow, just like my sloppy playing from time to time. By the end I am clearly running out of ideas (plus that melody I was going for worked better in my head lol). Some off notes here and there and I need to master the art of letting my improv breathe. Haven't figured out how to do tasty licks and let them end without sounding generic or repetetive. At least I felt that this improv wasn't too repetetive.

Alright, that's it from me for today. Time to relax!

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain

It's been a long day so excuse my sloppy look. Here's mine!
    Some self reflection, cuz I think that is a really good thing to do:
    I do have some nice chops in there that line up well with the backing track.
    However I do have quite some spots that really break the flow, just like my sloppy playing from time to time. By the end I am clearly running out of ideas (plus that melody I was going for worked better in my head lol). Some off notes here and there and I need to master the art of letting my improv breathe. Haven't figured out how to do tasty licks and let them end without sounding generic or repetetive. At least I felt that this improv wasn't too repetetive.

Alright, that's it from me for today. Time to relax!
    good to see you here Dom! I totally relate to you. My improvs are combos of nice licks and cacophony when I get totally lost 😅
    It's a great way to learn about your strengths and weaknesses

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Here's mine. Btw, sorry because I didn't notice the camera was too close and you can't see my fretting hand all the time 🙃
    I have to say the track is soooo long and absolutely over my head and I must confess I was tempted to edit and skip from about minute 0:48 to 1:48, to spare you 1 minute of complete suffering, because I get totally lost and my playing makes no sense at all 😝. But I have no dignity and I'm here to learn, so here's the full thing. What's life without risk?🤪

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Here's mine. Btw, sorry because I didn't notice the camera was too close and you can't see my fretting hand all the time 🙃
    I have to say the track is soooo long and absolutely over my head and I must confess I was tempted to edit and skip from about minute 0:48 to 1:48, to spare you 1 minute of complete suffering, because I get totally lost and my playing makes no sense at all 😝. But I have no dignity and I'm here to learn, so here's the full thing. What's life without risk?🤪

Haha sorry, this wasn't exactly the most beginner friendly backingtrack. There's some pretty fancy jazz stuff in the advanced section. Love that you just did it nonetheless though. Have you looked at the modes of the melodic minor scale before trying 😅

Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Haha sorry, this wasn't exactly the most beginner friendly backingtrack. There's some pretty fancy jazz stuff in the advanced section. Love that you just did it nonetheless though. Have you looked at the modes of the melodic minor scale before trying 😅
    I had a busy day and no time at all but I will for sure. I had to trust my inexperienced ears 😂
    Anyway it was a lot of fun trying, I love some complication in my life 😁