• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Extreme improv Challenge 👺👺👹👹😱😱

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    @Mariler Ferrer your improv got really fluent towards the end, like you relaxed some more. Nice tone, it's a little fuzzy.
    @Dominik Gräber When you land on a solid note, you can try to dance around it. Usually a note up or down, will guide you.
    Finding Power chords or something kind of helps with finding a general spot for notes, if you change speeds during your improv's
    and just hold an ending note to the measure would change things up for you. When I jam alone, I just do whatever I feel like, I just try to focus on making a note that would match somewhat to what I'm hearing. It comes out bad a lot, but yeah, it's practice. Sorry might have gone a bit off topic, just woke up.

I try to remember the spacing between tones, hope that helps

Last edited:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    @Mariler Ferrer your improv got really fluent towards the end, like you relaxed some more. Nice tone, it's a little fuzzy.
    @Dominik Gräber When you land on a solid note, you can try to dance around it. Usually a note up or down, will guide you.
    Finding Power chords or something kind of helps with finding a general spot for notes, if you change speeds during your improv's
    and just hold an ending note to the measure would change things up for you. When I jam alone, I just do whatever I feel like, I just try to focus on making a note that would match somewhat to what I'm hearing. It comes out bad a lot, but yeah, it's practice. Sorry might have gone a bit off topic, just woke up.

Thanks William! Yeah I do know what you mean. It's Just hard to incorporate it all Into an improv for me! Although I think my landing notes were okay Here!

Reactions: William B.

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Yeah it's really hard to think about everything, I think that's why improv is good practice. I try to just take only a few ideas at a time and mix them. Could try like "for this run, do palm mute, a sweep, slide and a few harmonics" and than next run give yourself some other rules.
    I've been trying that some, I mostly like trying to play notes the singers are doing or other instruments. I've even just hit dead notes to beats for riff patterns while listening to songs I like. Maybe the singer thing could help you if you run out of ideas, I noticed a lot of my ideas don't really resolve and seem like a loop going back and forth. I'm a little stuck there

Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain

Thank you!! The track was really hard for me and yeah, I think you’re right, towards the end I started kind of understanding better and played more relaxed. It was difficult but loved trying it.

Reactions: William B.
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

William B.

Hot Topic Tourer
  • Nov 11, 2019
    I did one yesterday, but I didn't want to spam too much. I try to limit myself to max 3 videos a day. I wanted to share my riff that I was working on last 3 days. I'll do todays lesson as I didn't do yesterdays, I just practiced whatever I felt like.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Nice! Besides the same old feedback on vibrato I'm noticing you're playing pretty much all the time, try to let your solo breathe every once in way by putting little rests in there.
    Absolutely right, I tend to play too many notes,... I think it's lack of confidence, like if I was afraid of getting lost or forgetting my next idea. Definitely must master the scales to feel more comfortable and keep practicing vibrato

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Here is mine.
    I wanted to do the improv today because this weekend I won't have my guitar with me. The track wasn't very beginner friendly either, but I'm kind of getting used to it 😅

Nice! You got some nice melodies/motifs going on there. Backingtracks like this are definitely not easy to solo over due to it only being a Dm all the time but we'll done!

Also, wooh different guitar

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
    Nov 11, 2019
    Zaragoza, Spain
    Nice! You got some nice melodies/motifs going on there. Backingtracks like this are definitely not easy to solo over due to it only being a Dm all the time but we'll done!

Also, wooh different guitar
    Thanks 😊!!
    My guitar is my old Jackson. It’s25 years old !! I bought it when I was 20something and tried to learn. But my teacher was so bad that I quit after a few months 😂

Reactions: idssdi