• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Just For Fun – Six Magic Notes For Soloing – Lesson 10

jaredgourion

Garage band Groupie
Dec 6, 2019
New York
Wow this lesson was great and every lesson leading up to this so far! Thank you so much Synyster gates and brian Haner sr. Every guitar tutorial on YouTube is always some show off trying to sell their skills. Im blown away with how much I've been taught with just the first lessons. I would keep playing and playing but sounding like trash but i've been simply applying every one of these lessons to what i already know and thanks to you guys i feel like im actually improving more than ever before! I never could afford lessons in person and this is a dream come true!

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Okay, this brings my journey with the six magic notes to and end - for now at least.
I recorded a small backing track and tried to solo over it, recorded two of those solos. They are not perfect but I tried my best. It is really challenging for me to play to a backing track as this is something I've barely done to date.

Feel free to tell me what you think!

Before even listening I'll say this. I never improved to a backtrack until ids made the improv challenge. My early stuff was eh. We all start out basic so to speak. But learning the basics is where you find the pattern connections later on when you start mixing techniques together so take your time here.

Reactions: CK!

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Wow this lesson was great and every lesson leading up to this so far! Thank you so much Synyster gates and brian Haner sr. Every guitar tutorial on YouTube is always some show off trying to sell their skills. Im blown away with how much I've been taught with just the first lessons. I would keep playing and playing but sounding like trash but i've been simply applying every one of these lessons to what i already know and thanks to you guys i feel like im actually improving more than ever before! I never could afford lessons in person and this is a dream come true!

Yeah the lessons are pretty dumbed down to the point where anyone could understand what pg is saying. And no that's not an Insult. Its complex information they are making sound so simple. Dude.. wait til you see the caged system. (Dont rush to it cause the chords you learn before it help you out huge later)

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Woah those 6 notes are packing a punch. Cant wait to explore them more. As a beginner, this is a challenging class but one thing I'm grateful for is the speed controls because it allows me to slow the clip down and play along with @Brian Haner Sr.
    Awesome, that's a good way to do it. Before I moved on with this I learned His solo, then wrote my own backing track and soloed over it. Then you can also decide what Tempo you want so it's perfect. :)

Reactions: CK!

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Yeah the lessons are pretty dumbed down to the point where anyone could understand what pg is saying. And no that's not an Insult. Its complex information they are making sound so simple. Dude.. wait til you see the caged system. (Dont rush to it cause the chords you learn before it help you out huge later)
    Ok along these lines i have determined that the scales are you soloing notes..am i right or totaly in left field here

Reactions: Calvin Phillips
    Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ok along these lines i have determined that the scales are you soloing notes..am i right or totaly in left field here

My thought process is the scales are kind of whole but can be parts too.

Like example.. rhythm will relate to penatonics. Lead will relate to arpeggios. The solo uses all the notes. Obviously this isnt true for every situation. But simple becomes complicated pretty fast when you add a note or two to the scale to make it whole.

Reactions: John Robinson

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    My thought process is the scales are kind of whole but can be parts too.

Like example.. rhythm will relate to penatonics. Lead will relate to arpeggios. The solo uses all the notes. Obviously this isnt true for every situation. But simple becomes complicated pretty fast when you add a note or two to the scale to make it whole.
    I just cant get my head wrapped around that

rivaille

Garage band Groupie
    Feb 29, 2020
    Hey folks I’m fairly new, and at around 5:47 when looking at the tab I got a bit confused with the 8 10 portion where 8 is above 10, is this something you okay at the same time or do you hop from fret to fret? I apologize if this doesn’t make any sense, I confuse myself most days /:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hey folks I’m fairly new, and at around 5:47 when looking at the tab I got a bit confused with the 8 10 portion where 8 is above 10, is this something you okay at the same time or do you hop from fret to fret? I apologize if this doesn’t make any sense, I confuse myself most days /:
    Hey there! Are you confused about that 8-10-8 Portion with the bow above it? Pretty sure that's a hammer on / pull off. Papa explains that some Lessons later.
    And right after that he switches Strings. No need for a big "Hop" Here, you could Play the 8 with your Index Finger and the 10 after it with your Pinky. Hope that Made some Sense :)

Reactions: idssdi

Fabiloas

Garage band Groupie
    Mar 18, 2020
    Hey there. I tried to Play around with it and tried to play a little solo using the six magic notes. But I found it really awkward to always land on the same Note.
    So my question is, should you always try to end your phrases on that key note or should you 'only' end your solo on that note?

It's not always necessary to land on the same note. I'll give you the rough explanation first and then some more complex nerdy stuff:

1) You can ALWAYS end up in every note you want while making a solo as long as it sounds well, that's really up to you and what you want to express with your music. HOWEVER, landing on some random note just because it was close when the bar ended is not always the best choice (and it often sounds terrible)

2) If you don't want to use the same note every time you finish with a phrase (appreciate that) you cant try to use a different note that's on the same scale.

- Theory Stuff Explanations -

>> The root note is the first note of a scale, so if you are playing the scale of C, the root note is C and so forth. In simple chords, the root note is often the first one as well. This is also the "safe" note.
    >> The fifth grade (or dominant) is the 5th note of a scale, if you're playing on C, the dominant is G.
    >> Same with the fourth grade

Let's say you're playing the tune on G (G minor) and you make the second pattern after the 12th fret (just because it sounds nice)

- If you don't want to end with the "safe" note (in this case, G) you can use the root note of the last chord (which is C) so you play C, and in some cases, you can also try the fifth grade (or dominant) of G, which is D, and also the Third grade (Bb)

So if you want to find these notes on the second pattern it would be something like this:

-
    -
    -15 (Bb) - 17(C)
    -15 - 17(G)
    -15(C) - 17(D)
    -

This is literally the same for the first pattern so you can find the same notes in it.

So yeah, you can end with pretty much each of the six magic notes hahahaha. Try to use this in many ways and combinations and tell me what you think

Last edited:

Jonathan LaDuke

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think I'm missing something. How come when he goes to the key of G he says the chords were going to be using are G Bb and C. Then he plays in the pattern of Bb. Maybe I'm not grasping something but why is he playing in Bb in the key of G? From my understanding there are no flats, G only has the one sharp at F. I'm sure it's something obvious but can someone please explain? thank you.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I think I'm missing something. How come when he goes to the key of G he says the chords were going to be using are G Bb and C. Then he plays in the pattern of Bb. Maybe I'm not grasping something but why is he playing in Bb in the key of G? From my understanding there are no flats, G only has the one sharp at F. I'm sure it's something obvious but can someone please explain? thank you.
    Basically the key is determined by the chord you resolve to. That's shown by the harmony. In this case you have G Bb C. Which would be I III IV(It could also be a bIII I'm not entirely sure what to call it tbh, maybe @Brian Haner Sr. Can chime in there). Basically I-III(G-Bb) creates tension, III-IV(Bb - C) creates tension too. This tension is resolved when repeating the sequence going back to G from C(IV-I). So it resolves back to G all the time and therefore it is in they key of G.

You are right with saying Bb isn't in the key of G because the Bb note is the minor third so that would be a little bit strange. This progression smells like creating your own weather to me.

Reactions: arrrgg

Jonathan LaDuke

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Basically the key is determined by the chord you resolve to. That's shown by the harmony. In this case you have G Bb C. Which would be I III IV(It could also be a bIII I'm not entirely sure what to call it tbh, maybe @Brian Haner Sr. Can chime in there). Basically I-III(G-Bb) creates tension, III-IV(Bb - C) creates tension too. This tension is resolved when repeating the sequence going back to G from C(IV-I). So it resolves back to G all the time and therefore it is in they key of G.

You are right with saying Bb isn't in the key of G because the Bb note is the minor third so that would be a little bit strange. This progression smells like creating your own weather to me.

Ahh I see, thank for the response! That definitely helps rid of some of my confusion!

Soham shah

Free Bird Player
    Jun 18, 2020

I think its because of the modal interchange!