• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Perfect record

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
So, I started thinking whether I know any perfect records(basically a record where there is no point where you have the urge to just skip the song) and frankly I know very little. There usually are like 1 or 2 songs where I think have a really big urge to just skip the song. I came to a grand total of 5 perfect records I can think of from the top of my head Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road and The stage.

Do you have any?

Live records and compilations don't count of course.

Filip Tomiša

Campfire Attention Holder
Nov 11, 2019
Croatia
www.youtube.com
I remember Syn talking about that where every song should be rated at least A- and they couldn't really find one.
For me I'd have to say:

"Nigthmare" - Avenged Sevenfold

"Dig Deep" - After the Burial (this album is suprisingly good. Usually metalcore albums have a couple of good songs and the rest are just generic but on this album every song is great. They recorded this after their guitarist died so you can really feel their emotions on every song.)

"From Death to Destiny" - Asking Alexandria (Again suprisingly good. I like AA but I'm not really a huge fan but I like every single song on that album.)

"Ashes of the Wake" - Lamb of God

"Drink the Sea" - Glitch Mob (I randomly discovered this album 8 years ago on youtube. I never heard anything like this before. I highly recommend it.)

"IRE" - Parkway Drive

Last edited:

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Hmm, focusing on "like every song / don't want to skip any"
    Trivium - Shogun
    Parkway Drive - Reverence
    John Mayer - Where the Light is
    Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
    Metallica - Hardwired... To self desturct
    Bullet for my Valentine - every album besides Temper Temper

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Trivium - Shogun
    Oh and everything Nickelback ever does. But not really worth mentioning, as it's the same for everyboday here I guess.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    There are plenty of albums where I can't skip songs for me. Are they perfect? Nah but are they tolerable? It's hard there days cause no one has a hour to listen without skipping.
    So you have no album that's perfect in your opinion? Sorry to hear. And I do find the time to listen to a whole album. Hell even my way to work and back is worth an album as long as it's not by tool

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Trivium - Shogun
    Where the light it is a live record so doesn't really count that much 😅 it definetely is a perfect record though, I love that one and his tone damn😱

Reactions: chris_is_cool

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Why shouldn't a live record count? :unsure:
    Because that's a collection of someone's best songs so it's pretty easy to have perfect record if your career is long enough. It's less of an achievement to have a live record where you don't want to skip anything than a studio record. I mean I could count On stage by rainbow, how the west was won by Led Zeppelin, made in Japan by deep purple, flight 666 by iron maiden and live in the lbc too but it's kinda weird to do two because all those songs are on studio records too.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Because that's a collection of someone's best songs so it's pretty easy to have perfect record if your career is long enough. It's less of an achievement to have a live record where you don't want to skip anything than a studio record. I mean I could count On stage by rainbow, how the west was won by Led Zeppelin, made in Japan by deep purple, flight 666 by iron maiden and live in the lbc too but it's kinda weird to do two because all those songs are on studio records too.
    It takes real talent to perform the songs live and make it sound as good or even better than on record. Not every artist can pull that off. And then if there is a song I don't like as much in there, off the list it goes.

Donovan Etue

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Washington State
    I've got a few that I can listen to from start to finish but wouldn't say are necessarily perfect.

Allen Stone - Allen Stone was the first album I really enjoyed from start to finish as a kid. My first concert that I really remember going to was an Allen Stone show which also was at the first bar/club I ever got to go in. Got pictures with him and an autographed cd.
    Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare is my favorite full A7X album followed by
    Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage
    Beartooth - Disease there are a song or two I don't like as much but I've listened to the album through a few times.
    Death - The Sound of Perseverance is one of my favorite albums of all times that's chock full of hammering riffs, intense solos, powerful vocals, and pounding drum fills. I've listened to it in full probably a dozen times.
    Gojira - The Way of All Flesh is a heavy hitter album that is just incredibly heavy, groovy, and surprisingly melodic.
    Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage was the first metal album I listened to from start to finish with a streaming service that I didn't skip a single song. Like The Way of All Flesh it's a fantastic album if you like really heavy and groovy music.
    Lamb of God - Sacrament This album is one I go and listen to fairly frequently and it heavily inspires me to pick up guitar daily.
    Mark Morton - Anesthetic Lamb of God's lead guitarist Mark Mortons solo album is a fantastic album that also was the first one I listened to from start to finish on release day and enjoyed the wide majority of the southern blues rock and metal filled album.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    This is very interesting question to me cuz this type of records change for me from time to time, like a phase you may say. And its usually 1 song at a time. So any song with killer guitar solo is out of question for me since I am guilty of skipping to the solo for 100 times in a row. Recently I think the song " The drug in me is re-imagined" by Falling in Reverse is in that category. I just can't skip it. I have to go through every second to embrace the journey. you should give it a liste in case you haven't heard it already. Before this, The song "while we sleep" by Insomnium had that thing. And for the longest time, Fermi Paradox (A7X duh!!!) held that spot for me

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Interesting question. It seems even the greatest albums have that "one" song that you skip over. And when you become an uber-fan of a band, you lose objectivity and make a case that a certain song is good when it's really not.
    I'm old, so my point of reference is a bit dated (and I don't listen to new music) but I'll give it a shot.

Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road - Beatles (Oh - and Hard Days Night - a HIGHLY underrated album that might be their best)
    Let It Bleed - Stones
    IV - Led Zeppelin (Although a good case could be made for any of their first 5 albums)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John (Double album - which makes it all the more amazing)
    A Night at the Opera - Queen
    The Stranger - Billy Joel
    Aja - Steely Dan
    Nightfly - Donald Fagan
    Nothing Like The Sun - Sting
    Green Album - Weezer
    Self Titled & COE - A7X