• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Sus and add chords

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
so basically this afternoon while I was in the train I started thinking about sus and add chords. Basically I thought that in a sus chord you kind of replace the minor or major third by for example the 2th or 4th(also 9th and 11th) and with add chords you take the chord and add like a 9 or 11 or whatever. Am I right with this?
Also is the difference between a madd9 chord and a regular m9 chord simply that in madd9 you don’t have the minor 7th?

Jen Hapke

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
You are definitely right with altering the 3.. The cromatic order is sus2, minor3, major3, sus4. I don’t know about the madd9 and m9.
But I recommend watching lesson 48 and 49. They are real eye-openers to sus2, sus4, add9, maj7, 7,b5 , aug, etc.
Before these lessons I’ve been confused about maj7 and 7 and I was really excited after watching them.
The lessons bring the chordbuilding to the point. Probably you have known some things about it before but in my case it was never that clear in my mind.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Aah ok. I do kinda know hord buildig and stuff like that but sometimes I just go with a hunch and I’d like to be sure that my logic/instinct is actually correct with some chords😅 Thanks for the comment though! basically like I know 7b5 is basically a seventh chord with a flattened 5 and an augmented 5 is a sharpened 5 but sometimes with specific chords I just really want to be sure I’m thinking right

Andrew Milner

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 11, 2019
    andreilucianmoraru.com
    The main difference between suspended and added chords is in the triad. When using suspended chords, the triad is altered. For sus2 chords, we have to play the 1, 2 and 5 notes (C-D-G for a Csus2 chord). Same thing for sus4, the difference being that we play the 1, 4 and 5 notes (C-F-G for a sus4 chord).
    Added chords however, as their name suggests, are all about adding a note on top of a triad. For example, add9 chords have the following formula: 1-3-5-9. In other words, we keep the triad, but we also add the 9th note (which is the same as the second note from the major scale, but an octave higher) on top of it. Cadd9, as a result, would comprise of the C, E, G and D notes. This should be it in a nutshell. As Jen said, they are explained in some lessons (I don’t remember which ones, so I’m going to take Jen’s word for it hat the lessons are 48 and 49).