• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Syn's pick type?

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    As I was examining changing picks a few months ago, he and I chatted back and forth about it, and he does indeed use .73mm. He referred to .73 as the "family favorite" and he switched back to them in 2014/15. He preferred the varied dynamics it offered vs the thicker picks, and said "I can fake gypsy jazz on an acoustic because of the brightness it engenders."

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    As I was examining changing picks a few months ago, he and I chatted back and forth about it, and he does indeed use .73mm. He referred to .73 as the "family favorite" and he switched back to them in 2014/15. He preferred the varied dynamics it offered vs the thicker picks, and said "I can fake gypsy jazz on an acoustic because of the brightness it engenders."
    I really Hope Syn replies with "what Ed Said" 😂

Manvir B

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Kingston, England
    Yup WEs he did switch over
    download.png

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Don't even get me started on this subject. I played a .73mm for 30 years. No - 40 years. Syn and I started playing Gypsy and he insisted the only way to play it correctly is with a friggin' rock. I refused. But he continued to pressure me. So after months and months, I finally gave in and switched to his 2mm pick. I found it really hard to switch back and forth between the two, so I started using the 2mm exclusively. I found sweeping and economy picking to be much easier. I wasn't crazy about playing funk or strumming with it, but I eventually got used to it. Took me over a year of practicing A LOT before I was really comfortable with it.
    It was at this point that Syn announced he had switched to a .73mm - EVEN FOR GYPSY.
    So now I'm stuck with a 2mm and he is playing a .73mm.
    I could go back, but frankly I don't want to spend 6 months sucking while I work it back into my playing.

carlosmqr

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 17, 2019
    Portugal/Manchester UK
    www.instagram.com
    I use .73, I think I started with 1.5 or something but then bought a magazine that had a tortex. 73 as a gift and after that just used those.

Thats a funny story Papa Gates xD I was like that with my dad, not with guitar relate stuff but trying to win my point and then ending up doing like the old man said 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Chris Johnston

Manvir B

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Kingston, England
    Don't even get me started on this subject. I played a .73mm for 30 years. No - 40 years. Syn and I started playing Gypsy and he insisted the only way to play it correctly is with a friggin' rock. I refused. But he continued to pressure me. So after months and months, I finally gave in and switched to his 2mm pick. I found it really hard to switch back and forth between the two, so I started using the 2mm exclusively. I found sweeping and economy picking to be much easier. I wasn't crazy about playing funk or strumming with it, but I eventually got used to it. Took me over a year of practicing A LOT before I was really comfortable with it.
    It was at this point that Syn announced he had switched to a .73mm - EVEN FOR GYPSY.
    I could go back, but frankly I don't want to spend 6 months sucking while I work it back into my playing.
    I rmember you saying this on another post about how annoyed you were and it cracked me up so hard, its like you get flashbacks everytime Someone mentions it 😭🤣 syn is the biggest troll

• Haha

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I remember years and years ago researching Syn's pick type, getting the 2.0 gator grip and being dumbstruck trying to play anything with it at first :ROFLMAO: Tried to stick with it exclusively...then I started snapping my thick strings during Acoustic Pub gigs when doing heavy palm muting.

So now I use these guys: 1.38mm, still stiff-ish but not as bad

I still do not understand how Syn managed to articulate the Scream solo with a 2.0 gator grip, it makes the solo even more impressive because of that!

Attachments

• preview.jpg
      preview.jpg
      23 KB · Views: 137

Manvir B

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Kingston, England
    I remember years and years ago researching Syn's pick type, getting the 2.0 gator grip and being dumbstruck trying to play anything with it at first :ROFLMAO: Tried to stick with it exclusively...then I started snapping my thick strings during Acoustic Pub gigs when doing heavy palm muting.

So now I use these guys: 1.38mm, still stiff-ish but not as bad

I still do not understand how Syn managed to articulate the Scream solo with a 2.0 gator grip, it makes the solo even more impressive because of that!
    I actually find doing that type of stuff easier with a 2mm pick, could just be me though I find my pick attack is kinda aggressive so when I use anything slimmer it doesn't feel as good.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    I actually find doing that type of stuff easier with a 2mm pick, could just be me though I find my pick attack is kinda aggressive so when I use anything slimmer it doesn't feel as good.

That's really interesting, and makes a lot of sense to be honest! No doubt the 2mm gives a much beefier tone to your attack. When I would try going slimmer at first it felt really foreign. Using a pointed pick really helped me make that transition properly though, because it felt easier to get the definition of each string in a sweep or economy pick

Reactions: Manvir B

Kat the metalhead

Music Theory Bragger
  • Jan 20, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    It’s funny when I first started playing guitar which was about 5 years ago I would just use random picks my dad bought for me and turns out he bought them off some Chinese online store and they were paper thin and would snap or bend when I played fast 😂 That’s when I decided I need to buy my own picks😂 i went to the closest music store and picked up a few Dunlop ultex sharp 1.40 and I’ve been using those for about 3 years but I might switch to something thinner cuz I’ve noticed it’s easier for me to play faster and sweep with a thinner pick

• Haha
    Reactions: Nocturne

Christopher Lonski

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019

I had the same struggle for a while. I used 2.0 gators for a long time because I liked the stiffness and dark tone they give, but then I proceeded down the rabbit hole of pick materials, shapes, etc and it's gotten easier to change picks and feel comfortable. I think it's the minute change in distance when picking between strings that seems to throw people off considering a thicker pick give less space for your hand to travel.

As for the cheaper picks, I started using the Dunlop Tortex TIII 1.5mm which are a large Jazz III. Then they came out with the TIII Flow which still has a sharp tip, but with a more stout shape which gives a smoother pick attack with the same precision and I've really fell in love with them. They provide a great snap for Gypsy stuff as well.

More recently though I've been trying out all the boutique picks like Wegen, Blue Chip, John Pearse, and Red Bear. While they all sound great, the Red Bear No. 9 XH really have a clarity about them that I come back to every time I try something else, and on top of that they make the same shape as the Dunlop Flow, which to me is the perfect shape. Although, I've bought a couple different Red Bear's and the color pigment seems to alter the texture and tone a little bit so they're a little inconsistent, but all great nonetheless.

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    Thats kids for ya...

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    I heard him in an interview say that he played with some thick bastards...i dont know how thick that is but it sounds really thick😀😀

Nocturne

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Dec 1, 2019
    France
    Damn, 2mm is thick as hell, I tried it once and I couldn't play with it, it was too different, but while trying it I noticed that it gave a really cool tone. I think that I'm currently using a 1.14mm pick and my 2mm is laying on the floor somewhere near my amp.