• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Synyster Custom S pin stripe vs Satin Burst

Ben Grosskreuz

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
I recently got the gold satin burst guitar after having the black and gold custom S for 6 months and wanted to share my thoughts on the two of them.
The main reason I got another one was so I could keep one in E standard and one in drop D tuning. That way I can use my gold pinstripe one to play syn’s etudes and other songs in E tuning while using the gold satin burst to play drop D stuff.
The Satin finish is much preferred for me personally since it makes sliding so much easier especially in afterlife and the stage. Also the 14 inch fret radius does make a noticeable difference if you play while standing up.
The gloss black and gold one does look a little bit more solid and feels almost heavier and higher quality, but I do like the satin one more for playing since it is easier and I personally like the look better.
I often wondered if there was really much of a difference between the two and after playing both of them daily I know 🙂
If anyone has any questions about the two of them feel free to ask!

Reactions: William B.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I recently got the gold satin burst guitar after having the black and gold custom S for 6 months and wanted to share my thoughts on the two of them.
The main reason I got another one was so I could keep one in E standard and one in drop D tuning. That way I can use my gold pinstripe one to play syn’s etudes and other songs in E tuning while using the gold satin burst to play drop D stuff.
The Satin finish is much preferred for me personally since it makes sliding so much easier especially in afterlife and the stage. Also the 14 inch fret radius does make a noticeable difference if you play while standing up.
The gloss black and gold one does look a little bit more solid and feels almost heavier and higher quality, but I do like the satin one more for playing since it is easier and I personally like the look better.
I often wondered if there was really much of a difference between the two and after playing both of them daily I know 🙂
If anyone has any questions about the two of them feel free to ask!
I think all of syns customs have been modified on the fly as the years go on to the way he plays. Hence the price changes and etc. So if you bought an earlier model theres a big chance its much different.

Edit: wow old post lol

Reactions: William B.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    I will buy my first custom soon.
    I csnt decided between gold/black and satin burst
    . My biggest concern is that satin will leave glassy/shiny spots over some time. Do you have that problem?

That will happen with anything with a satin finish. There are probably ways to clean it up when that happens, but I'm not aware of them - not a satin finish fan.