• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of The CAGED System – Lesson 23

zombiebros2012

Garage band Groupie
Dec 1, 2019
Can someone tell me why this is? Suppose you are doing the E shape on the CAGED system. First you start with that camfire chord E. Okay, now you switch to fret 2 and do a D shape. Notice your pinky is the 5th fret. (D shape = one of your fingers will be on 5th anyway) Now you can finger the C but you go on fret 4 not 5. Why is that? Is it because you go where the last note goes or what?

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Can someone tell me why this is? Suppose you are doing the E shape on the CAGED system. First you start with that camfire chord E. Okay, now you switch to fret 2 and do a D shape. Notice your pinky is the 5th fret. (D shape = one of your fingers will be on 5th anyway) Now you can finger the C but you go on fret 4 not 5. Why is that? Is it because you go where the last note goes or what?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but of you play an E chord it always had the notes E-G# and B in it and that's the way you accomplish that with the shape. Also, notice your pinky is on the 7th fret of the A string in the C-shape because that's the E note, in the D-shape you pinky is on the fifth fret because that's the E note.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
C and d are essentially the exact same pattern.the only difference is you always start the shape on the last fret you fretted for the previous shape. So from c to d.. your fingering will have to change a bit. The pinky becomes the index believe. I'd have to actually play the chords.

David Deatherage

Garage band Groupie
Nov 11, 2019
Did anyone else have trouble fingering any of the shapes going up the neck as bad as me or is my posture extremely horrible?? I can get past the original C shape with my 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers fine move that up into the A shape I'm still fine but when I go past that into G shape I find it a huge stretch and just get clunkers :( super frustrating but not going to give up!!!

zombiebros2012

Garage band Groupie
Dec 1, 2019
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but of you play an E chord it always had the notes E-G# and B in it and that's the way you accomplish that with the shape. Also, notice your pinky is on the 7th fret of the A string in the C-shape because that's the E note, in the D-shape you pinky is on the fifth fret because that's the E note.
Notice for my "D Shape" my pinky is on the fifth fret. I was under the impression that your index finger goes to whichever fret your finger was furthest up on, but when you go up and switch to the "C Shape" your barre finger (index) goes to fret 4 and not fret 5.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200109-174014_Camera.jpg
    Screenshot_20200109-174014_Camera.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 184

zombiebros2012

Garage band Groupie
Dec 1, 2019
Notice for my "D Shape" my pinky is on the fifth fret. I was under the impression that your index finger goes to whichever fret your finger was furthest up on, but when you go up and switch to the "C Shape" your barre finger (index) goes to fret 4 and not fret 5.

Here Is my theoretical "C Shape" on fret 5. But you play it, it is not a E chord like it should be.

Attachments

• Snapchat-875195516.jpg
    Snapchat-875195516.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 155

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yes that's right. The index finger always plays the lowest frets you need to play so that's fret 4 in the C shape when it's an E

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Did anyone else have trouble fingering any of the shapes going up the neck as bad as me or is my posture extremely horrible?? I can get past the original C shape with my 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers fine move that up into the A shape I'm still fine but when I go past that into G shape I find it a huge stretch and just get clunkers :( super frustrating but not going to give up!!!
I still cant play the bar chords. The fingering gets better when you jam the arpeggios for a week or two. I'd worry about the arpeggios first. When your happy.. go back and try to finger the entire chord. You'll.be surprised at your progression.

Reactions: David Deatherage

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
The only issue here.. is you cant really change your minor into another chord with your pinky in the back.. that's a hard transformation. But I could be wrong.. people finger many chords different ways.