• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of The CAGED System – Lesson 23

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
Rockstar Student
Nov 11, 2019
Spain
I have trouble with my G shape also. My hand literally will not do it
I understand...been there too man. I would suggest you strech your hands before every practice session (a good warmup is key to a good practice session). Afterwards, try the shape on high frets, around the 12th fret. And then just try to make every string ring clear (apply the same philosophy that you would use with your first barre chord). After some practice you should be fine. Hope this helped.

Reactions: carlosmqr

CD-rom

New Student
Jan 29, 2020
Can someone tell me why this is? Suppose you are doing the E shape on the CAGED system. First you start with that camfire chord E. Okay, now you switch to fret 2 and do a D shape. Notice your pinky is the 5th fret. (D shape = one of your fingers will be on 5th anyway) Now you can finger the C but you go on fret 4 not 5. Why is that? Is it because you go where the last note goes or what?
I think it's because when you move between C-A-G-E-D you all have a difference of 2 semitones descending so you just move up 2 semitones for the chords to start in the right place.

general_ak47

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
Apr 2, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I have to say, this was the section of lessons I was dreading when I first started here. I have always heard of this system but never gave a care as I was never concerned with theory or the finer points of the guitar. I have now spent almost a month watching this video over and over trying to understand what the hell it all means. To be honest I almost gave up a few times. I don't know if it was persistence or a small amount of outside research for a better understanding but as I watched the video today I finally understand it and am friggin excited to finally move on. Thanks for this lesson. Because of this lesson it lit a fire under me that makes me crave learning more.

Reactions: GianZ73 and idssdi

lespaulmoreray

New Student
Jul 23, 2020
manila
Finding the same thing everywhere on the fretboard. It's effectively something you study religiously and when you know it very well it becomes second nature to the point where you forget it again while still being incredibly important
sorry to sound like such a newb, but what does playing a C (or AGED) on all these different places on the neck gain me? whats wrong with campfire C?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dominik Gräber
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    sorry to sound like such a newb, but what does playing a C (or AGED) all these different places gain me? whats wrong with campfire C?
    That's the exact question I Had and it really depends on what you are doing. It's great for Blues If you eg Play your scale somewhere in the middle of the Neck and want to add a chord or arpeggio to it. Switch to your campfire chord might be Just impractical Here. Also the further Up the Neck you Go the Higher your chords will Sound. (Sorry, noob myself so can't explain that very Well 😅)

And then it's Just way easier to Play eg the a shape or e shape bar chord at different places on the Neck than switching to a G in between. I even applied that in my Last Media. I Play a C and D (that's what I think it was Out of my head) but I Just Play the A shape and move Up the Neck. So much more comfortable.

skaros23

One Stringer
    Aug 4, 2020
    One of the concepts I have had trouble with is playing in a certain key. If someone says to play in the key of G, I struggle to visualize how to play that. Now with the CAGED system, if I were to play in the key of G, would I just use all of the G chords with the corresponding shapes that he mentioned? I'm sure there is more to it than that, but that's how I seem to understand it currently.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    One of the concepts I have had trouble with is playing in a certain key. If someone says to play in the key of G, I struggle to visualize how to play that. Now with the CAGED system, if I were to play in the key of G, would I just use all of the G chords with the corresponding shapes that he mentioned? I'm sure there is more to it than that, but that's how I seem to understand it currently.
    You're in the key of G when you bend use chords of the G-chord family and G is the home chord(usually the chord you're starting on)

Phillip Mogi

New Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    hi everyone, im a newcomer here. can someone help me? i cant watch the video since the video player dont want to play. my browser is microsoft edge but i have tried on chrome and still didnt work
    syn.PNG

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    hi everyone, im a newcomer here. can someone help me? i cant watch the video since the video player dont want to play. my browser is microsoft edge but i have tried on chrome and still didnt work

Hi Phillip! Welcome! From some countries, you need to use a VPN to get the SoundSlice videos to play. This is an issue with SoundSlice and not just our site.

NikTS

New Student
    Jun 2, 2020
    I liked the lesson very much but sir, that's apparently not for me. I have very small hands and every time I try to push myself a bit with these shapes it gives me pain and tension in every tendon and every muscle. Not sure what to do now.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    I liked the lesson very much but sir, that's apparently not for me. I have very small hands and every time I try to push myself a bit with these shapes it gives me pain and tension in every tendon and every muscle. Not sure what to do now.
    Could you show what you're doing? It's very hard for us to help you if you don't show what you're doing

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com

These shapes are for learning, understanding, and sometimes using PARTS of. Very few people could do the "G" shape in, say, 5th position. I sure can't.

But you can use PARTS of the shape for interesting chord ideas, and also for soloing ideas.

NikTS

New Student
    Jun 2, 2020
    These shapes are for learning, understanding, and sometimes using PARTS of. Very few people could do the "G" shape in, say, 5th position. I sure can't.

But you can use PARTS of the shape for interesting chord ideas, and also for soloing ideas.
    That's nice to know it's fine to have troubles with these "G" chords. I will try to use CAGED the way you've recommended. Thanks!

Reactions: Ed Seith

Creamerofbuns

One Stringer
    Nov 16, 2019
    In the part of the video where it demonstrates how to spell CAGED down the fretboard, it says that you start your next chord shape on the last note of the previous chord shape and then demonstrated that when changing from C to C in a B shape. Though later on in the video when it goes from D to D in a C shape, the C shaped chord is barred on the second fret, which isn't the last note in the original D chord.. The last original note is on the third fret.

The above is conflicting and is now making me unsure of where to start my chords. Any help would be appreciated.

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    In the part of the video where it demonstrates how to spell CAGED down the fretboard, it says that you start your next chord shape on the last note of the previous chord shape and then demonstrated that when changing from C to C in a B shape. Though later on in the video when it goes from D to D in a C shape, the C shaped chord is barred on the second fret, which isn't the last note in the original D chord.. The last original note is on the third fret.

The above is conflicting and is now making me unsure of where to start my chords. Any help would be appreciated.
    I think what he means is that if you go through all the shapes with just a C chord the highest fret of the shape you're currently playing becomes the lowest fret of the next shape.