• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Overview of The CAGED System – Lesson 23

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Is it important to know the fretboard well before applying the CAGED system theory?
I was thinking of getting my teeth into this, but maybe I should spend some time on learning the fretboard at the same time to be able to use it later making some sense?🤔

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Is it important to know the fretboard well before applying the CAGED system theory?
I was thinking of getting my teeth into this, but maybe I should spend some time on learning the fretboard at the same time to be able to use it later making some sense?🤔
Fretboard knowledge and CAGED go pretty hand in hand. Effectively CAGED tells you can find the same notes all over the neck so by knowing CAGED you gain a lot of fretboard knowledge already so I don't think it's strictly necessary to learn the fretboard before you start doing CAGED because you can do it very much parallel. Learning the fretboard by learning CAGED is also more fun than just strictly learning the fretboard IMHO

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Fretboard knowledge and CAGED go pretty hand in hand. Effectively CAGED tells you can find the same notes all over the neck so by knowing CAGED you gain a lot of fretboard knowledge already so I don't think it's strictly necessary to learn the fretboard before you start doing CAGED because you can do it very much parallel. Learning the fretboard by learning CAGED is also more fun than just strictly learning the fretboard IMHO
Cool! Then I guess I am ready to get started . Thank you 🙏

Reactions: KyleSGS666

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
The caged system will help you learn it better then anything else. Do it up! Dont move too quickly either you can never spend too much time on those lessons.

Reactions: Mariler and idssdi
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
The caged system will help you learn it better then anything else. Do it up! Dont move too quickly either you can never spend too much time on those lessons.
Nice! I usually go like back and forth. Spend some time on a lesson , when I feel a little stuck move in to the next one, then go back over again and so and so

Reactions: KyleSGS666

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Right. I learned some chord theory time ago, but it’s a great idea to refresh it before starting the CAGED system 👍
Before getting into the chord theory I'd recommend doing caged a little first. You'll have the shapes down for the basic chords in the theory and you'll have an easier time building the complicated chords in each position. In the theory forums you see the caged positions of every complicated chord that Andrei has gone over. And they look pretty different until you see it's just an added note or a move note from the basic position.

Reactions: Mariler

PeteSkeet

Free Bird Player
Feb 3, 2020
Reactions: Mariler

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'm SO bad at bar chords. I want to work on getting the chord shapes down with my 3 finger and then add the pointer finger to bar. What are good songs to practice with? Ones that just use CAGED chords?
So far away is a nice one. It's only a Bm bar chord but still. Also if you only play The CAGED chords you don't have to bar anything, that's where the but is for.

Reactions: Zachary Campbell

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I'm SO bad at bar chords. I want to work on getting the chord shapes down with my 3 finger and then add the pointer finger to bar. What are good songs to practice with? Ones that just use CAGED chords?
I'd practice my caged arpeggios. That really helped my finger strength in getting used to the tension needed one at a time before putting g them all together

Reactions: Zachary Campbell

joshuag5732

New Student
Mar 31, 2020
We start the c shape for d on the second fret. Shouldn't we start on the third?

Nevermind. I Figured it out. You have to back up one fret once you come to the end of the CAGED pattern and then start over.

Last edited:

KyleSGS666

New Student
Apr 14, 2020
Did anyone else have trouble fingering any of the shapes going up the neck as bad as me or is my posture extremely horrible?? I can get past the original C shape with my 2nd 3rd and 4th fingers fine move that up into the A shape I'm still fine but when I go past that into G shape I find it a huge stretch and just get clunkers :( super frustrating but not going to give up!!!
I have trouble with my G shape also. My hand literally will not do it

Reactions: Christian Schulze