• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A Big Collab (Lets do this)

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I like what Ed said here. In my opinion we should take our time to plan and execute this well, we want quality!
Since I'm planning on releasing a video on how to record good quality video covers, maybe we can begin recording after I share that. Because I will explain in detail how to record good stuff and this will save people a lot of headaches.

I am going to be honest, I am very busy, but I could find some time to edit this video, it would just take me a while cause I'm working a lot. But I'm down.
It's actually easier for me to mix the audio along with the video, but I think Filip could make a KICK ASS backing track, if he's up for it.

It needs to be simple but kick ass. It doesn't have to be too fancy. And I feel we should try something that anyone can solo over in any key and it won't sound out of place from the others. That why I suggested penatonic backing track. I'm down for anything.. we just may need the small explanation of the chords used and whatnot.

Ed Seith

Supreme Galactic Overlord
Staff member
Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Marana, AZ USA
    soundcloud.com
    It needs to be simple but kick ass. It doesn't have to be too fancy. And I feel we should try something that anyone can solo over in any key and it won't sound out of place from the others. That why I suggested penatonic backing track. I'm down for anything.. we just may need the small explanation of the chords used and whatnot.

Agreed. Most of the backing tracks Syn plays the etudes over a ridiculously simple things that allow for a lot of leeway.

Reactions: Jacques
    If we're gonna actually do this, this is the action plan I recommend to make it easier on everyone involved:

1) Everyone who wants to participate, say so in the comments below.
    If you decide to participate, please follow through and don't drop the commitment because a lot of people are gonna put work into this.
    Please write your name, where you are in the world, and your level in the school.
    [Example: Aileé Guerra Aréizaga, British Columbia, Canada, Level: Intermediate]
    This will just make it look cooler and more professional when the final compilation is edited.
    *Christian mentioned including social media, this is optional, but limited to one platform per person please.

2) We'll give everyone a week to write their names down, tell other people so everyone knows, and after next Sunday we'll compile a list with all the participant's names. We'll give everyone a few days to make sure we didn't miss anyone or misspelled any information.

3) We decide on a tempo and a key everyone is comfortable with and based on that tempo we decide how many bars each person gets. To be roughly equal to the 40 seconds we had planned, but it's easier to measure in bars. This way, the person making the backing track will know exactly how many bars to make the track.

4) TO THE PERSON MAKING THE BACKING TRACK: Once we decide the tempo, key, and number of bars each person gets. Make a simple backing track that includes enough bars for each player, plus a short intro or outro if you like. Make sure the changes to the next section are really obvious, by including a percussion hit, or a simple fill so that each person playing knows exactly when to come in or when their time is ending. The backing track will need to be properly mixed and mastered.

5) Once the backing track is completed, send it to me and I will edit a quick "practice video" which will be the backing track and on the screen the name of whoever's turn it is to play. This will make it easier on the beginners as they will know exactly when their time begins and ends and everyone will have something to practice to and to make their video with. It also eases the editing process for me by a lot!

*Beginners: Don't let it overwhelm you. I prefer 10 times if you play something SUPER SIMPLE, but with GOOD TIMING and GOOD PITCH than anything flashy. This is meant to showcase EVERYONE'S BEST. We all deserve to shine and feel good about our work!

6) Like I mentioned, in a few weeks I will release a video that explains how to create good quality guitar videos. If the info below is a little above your head DON'T WORRY! I will explain everything in detail on my video, so you can come back to this info then. I just want to list the entire process so everyone understands what we are doing.

7) Video and audio are recorded separately, using any camera or phone you have available for the image and any recorder or DAW you have access to for the audio. The way to keep them synchronized is to "slate" them. (Again, I will go in detail on my video) Once you do your recording, send me your files labeled with your name and what the file is.
    [Example: Aileé_Video 1, Aileé_Audio 1]
    Please, SEND ONLY YOUR BEST TAKE! I am not going to go through several takes for each person. Also, decide what your best take is by yourselves! 😂

8) Once I have everyone's files, I will do a "preliminary" edit that I will share here so everyone checks that their names are correct and they are happy, etc. And then I will share the final edit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Christian Schulze

Hot Topic Tourer
    Rockstar Student
    Nov 11, 2019
    Spain
    If we're gonna actually do this, this is the action plan I recommend to make it easier on everyone involved:

1) Everyone who wants to participate, say so in the comments below.
    If you decide to participate, please follow through and don't drop the commitment because a lot of people are gonna put work into this.
    Please write your name, where you are in the world, and your level in the school.
    [Example: Aileé Guerra Aréizaga, British Columbia, Canada, Level: Intermediate]
    This will just make it look cooler and more professional when the final compilation is edited.

2) We'll give everyone a week to write their names down, tell other people so everyone knows, and after next Sunday we'll compile a list with all the participant's names. We'll give everyone a few days to make sure we didn't miss anyone or misspelled any information.

3) We decide on a tempo and a key everyone is comfortable with and based on that tempo we decide how many bars each person gets. To be roughly equal to the 40 seconds we had planned, but it's easier to measure in bars. This way, the person making the backing track will know exactly how many bars to make the track.

4) TO THE PERSON MAKING THE BACKING TRACK: Once we decide the tempo, key, and number of bars each person gets. Make a simple backing track that includes enough bars for each player, plus a short intro or outro if you like. Make sure the changes to the next section are really obvious, by including a percussion hit, or a simple fill so that each person playing knows exactly when to come in or when their time is ending. The backing track will need to be properly mixed and mastered.

5) Once the backing track is completed, send it to me and I will edit a quick "practice video" which will be the backing track and on the screen the name of whoever's turn it is to play. This will make it easier on the beginners as they will know exactly when their time begins and ends and everyone will have something to practice to and to make their video with. It also eases the editing process for me by a lot!

*Beginners: Don't let it overwhelm you. I prefer 10 times if you play something SUPER SIMPLE, but with GOOD TIMING and GOOD PITCH than anything flashy. This is meant to showcase EVERYONE'S BEST. We all deserve to shine and feel good about our work!

6) Like I mentioned, in a few weeks I will release a video that explains how to create good quality guitar videos. If the info below is a little above your head DON'T WORRY! I will explain everything in detail on my video, so you can come back to this info then. I just want to list the entire process so everyone understands what we are doing.

7) Video and audio are recorded separately, using any camera or phone you have available for the image and any recorder or DAW you have access to for the audio. The way to keep them synchronized is to "slate" them. (Again, I will go in detail on my video) Once you do your recording, send me your files labeled with your name and what the file is.
    [Example: Aileé_Video 1, Aileé_Audio 1]
    Please, SEND ONLY YOUR BEST TAKE! I am not going to go through several takes for each person. Also, decide what your best take is by yourselves! 😂

8) Once I have everyone's files, I will do a "preliminary" edit that I will share here so everyone checks that their names are correct and they are happy, etc. And then I will share the final edit.
    Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar, Mallorca, Spain, Level:Intermediate.

Alright Im up for it. Now I will really need that video explaining all that stuff...cause last time I recorded audio was a mess. I used audacity.

Also shall we put social media on the video?

Reactions: AGA
    Synner Endless Summer Collection
    Christian J.S. Schulze Aguiar, Mallorca, Spain, Level:Intermediate.

Alright Im up for it. Now I will really need that video explaining all that stuff...cause last time I recorded audio was a mess. I used audacity.

Also shall we put social media on the video?
    That's a good question :unsure: I could argue both ways. Let's have that be optional, just in case some people don't want to.

Before I say I'll join will there be a deadline for this?

I'm leaving for a study trip to The United States and Canada on April 11th and will only be back home may 3rd.
    The deadline to record will depend on if and when we get our shit together. For now, I would say you are fine because we first need people to sign up, then we need the track made and I also won't be posting my video for another few weeks. So I would say you are safe. Also, we would always wait for you Ids, cause you are a constantly contributing member so it wouldn't be the same without you.

Jacques

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Nov 29, 2019
    IL
    Agreed. Most of the backing tracks Syn plays the etudes over a ridiculously simple things that allow for a lot of leeway.

Branching off what Ed said here...just throwing out ideas for a backing track. We could maybe have something similar to the backing track on Syn's etude for Sweep Picking lesson 1. That backing track fucking rips!!!

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Sayonil Mitra, Santiniketan, India
    level: Intermediate
    Yes I would like to join too. It would be so nice if we could do this on a regular basis (like maybe every 4 months or so). I know that it takes a massive amount of effort, especially from the guys who collect or organize this whole collab. If this can be regularly, everyone will be able to see everyone's improvements over 4-6 month time period.

Sayonil Mitra, Santiniketan, India
    level: Intermediate
    Yes I would like to join too. It would be so nice if we could do this on a regular basis (like maybe every 4 months or so). I know that it takes a massive amount of effort, especially from the guys who collect or organize this whole collab. If this can be regularly, everyone will be able to see everyone's improvements over 4-6 month time period.
    I hope we can do it more often too! For now let's see how we do with the first one 😂
    If we pull this off, we should try to do it at the very least once a year. Like our version of a school yearbook. 🤣
    "Most likely to..." polls will begin in April LOL!