• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

A Big Collab (Lets do this)

Don't you think this might get a little complicate to organize and put in one video? Maybe we could do a couple of different one with different themes. We could do a "simple solo collab" now where we all just play something tiny over a backing track and then do smaller collabs like "duets", "rhythm vs lead" or one with crazy chords for Ids ;P
Just my thoughts on this right now
I see what you are saying, we're not gonna do ALL in one lol!
We're just brainstorming at the moment and we'll decide in which direction we're going next week, after everyone's signed up.

EVERYONE! Let's not get ahead of ourselves with this.
If we're gonna do this we need patience to follow each step in it's own time.
Also, since it's the first one let's start simple. I do like a lot of ideas that have been mentioned and if we are successful we can always make more collabs.
There is a method to this madness (I can't believe there are no mad scientist emojis)

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I'll try to make a couple of different backing tracks in different styles and then we can choose the best ones and then combine them or whatever. I already made a rock/metal loop version and posted it in the chat on instagram. Now I'm trying to make a blues backing track. I'm open for suggestions for chord progressions :D.
I think you should use the same chord progression but change up the chords to match the style.. alas 13ths 11ths 9ths for the jazz part.. normal power chords metal rock.. acoustic open chords.. etc. That way everything technically works together and we all can ideally work off the same chords n9 matter the style. We dont want people thinking too much where they are not sure what scale to follow or whatever when the beat changes. Again just thinking out loud here. But I feel the more simplistic the better in the end for the newer people to follow suit.

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I like the duel idea or even a duet. Like Jak said, maybe a rhythm player can play acoustic, while someone plays a melodic part, or we could have two people harmonize.

@Filip is the one making the backing track, and @Ids had already talked about composing some motiffs.

First things first though, let's get to the sign up deadline and then we start planning what we'll play once we know how many people we got.

I dont think we need any motifs i think the back track will create it's own. The issue I see with that is the chance the motif is too different or something the person isnt used to.. it could intimidate them. Unless ids wants to go first and take the lead. Then we all could follow suit. His playing is just so advanced and technical at times so i just fear people will not understand what he is doing with the motif.. you know what I mean?

Not to say he couldn't make something easy and simple. I'd just hate to see people step out because their motif or melody isnt up to par to his.. or they can't think of something to follow.. I see this happening with a lot of time slots in the video. I like the idea of implanting the lessons it forces us to kind of stay on the same page through out the video.

Mariler

Local Dive Bar Favorite
Nov 11, 2019
Zaragoza, Spain
Since all the cool 😎 beginners of this school like @Dominik Graeber and @Alicia Willis are up for this I wanna be a part of it too.
I know I‘ll regret doing this, I ‘ll pull my hair off and cry 😭 like a baby when I come up with nothing nice to play, but I know I have to try and I’m pretty sure I can get some help from you intermediate and advanced friends.

Mariler Ferrer; Zaragoza, Spain; beginner

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
I read the whole thing, all the replies. I am actually more interested in doing rock style backing (not the entire backing track, just a portion of it) than a solo, so that anyone can play whatever they want over it. I am thinking about about types of riffs which are played like during the middle of the song or riffs during the verse of a song. If that is ok, I will upload some ideas in the riff section, what type of riffs I am thinking.

Reactions: Ed Seith and AGA

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I read the whole thing, all the replies. I am actually more interested in doing rock style backing (not the entire backing track, just a portion of it) than a solo, so that anyone can play whatever they want over it. I am thinking about about types of riffs which are played like during the middle of the song or riffs during the verse of a song. If that is ok, I will upload some ideas in the riff section, what type of riffs I am thinking.
I think if we had multiple people making the back track that's ok too. I just think the people making it gotta work together to make sure the tracks work together. But I dont see an issue there.

Sayonil Mitra

Free Bird Player
Nov 11, 2019
Cool. I was also thinking of making a plan, whoever makes it, before the project starts. So, lets say we have 20 players in this project. So if each players gets 20 sec, that makes this collab video 6 min 40 sec long. Then we can divide this video in sections like jazz, rock, blues, metal etc. If there are 5 categories, then each category gets 80 secs. Then these 20 players can form groups to play in different categories. So basically dividing this big project into smaller projects. Of course, someone has to be there to make sure everything is seamless and cohesive. Just an idea

Reactions: AGA

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    An idea of a song is nice. But realistically.. you guys could write your own songs anytime you want. I'd like to see students come together more often to work on things together. I think it's make for some fun results.

I'd be open to write anything with another student. Relays to the site or not.
    Eh, not all of us could write our own songs lol. I know I sure as hell cant !
    I do think it’s be cool to collaborate with each other. Like for instance, say I have an idea or a simple rhythm (as that’s all I can manage at my stage of learning) and someone else solo’d over it. I actually had
    That's why in the video I suggested doing several videos because it'll get too long
    jak I also loved
    Since all the cool 😎 beginners of this school like @Dominik Graeber and @Alicia Willis are up for this I wanna be a part of it too.
    I know I‘ll regret doing this, I ‘ll pull my hair off and cry 😭 like a baby when I come up with nothing nice to play, but I know I have to try and I’m pretty sure I can get some help from you intermediate and advanced friends.

yay !!! 👏🏻 You’ve totally got it !!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mariler

You won't regret it. We will help one another.

I'd just hate to see people step out because their motif or melody isnt up to par to his.. or they can't think of something to follow..
    Actually, that is literally the reason why Ids is composing the motifs, so that the people who don't know how to create their own melodies can learn the motif and be a part of this.
    I would join but im not really good and im not that good making up some solos because im not that at stage yet.
    👆

• Love
    Reactions: Alicia Willis
    Love it! Please tag me so I can see them!
    Actually, tag me, @Ids Schiere and @Filip Tomiša please

Reactions: Sayonil Mitra
    Cool. I was also thinking of making a plan, whoever makes it, before the project starts. So, lets say we have 20 players in this project. So if each players gets 20 sec, that makes this collab video 6 min 40 sec long. Then we can divide this video in sections like jazz, rock, blues, metal etc. If there are 5 categories, then each category gets 80 secs. Then these 20 players can form groups to play in different categories. So basically dividing this big project into smaller projects. Of course, someone has to be there to make sure everything is seamless and cohesive. Just an idea
    After the sign up deadline we will ask everyone to list their best abilities and the styles they feel most comfortable playing so we can plan who will play what.

I think if we had multiple people making the back track that's ok too. I just think the people making it gotta work together to make sure the tracks work together. But I dont see an issue there.
    I think it's best if we leave the back track to @Filip Tomiša , he was chosen for a reason. To add more people to this task might only complicate his workflow and that is not fair to him.
    He already said he is open to listen to suggestions and will work on different versions before we choose the final one.

Reactions: Filip Tomiša

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Yup .. then we look at time slots and pick where we wanna go. You could team up and do a dual. Or solo yourself.. etc.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I think it's best if we leave the back track to @Filip Tomiša , he was chosen for a reason. To add more people to this task might only complicate his workflow and that is not fair to him.
    He already said he is open to listen to suggestions and will work on different versions before we choose the final one.
    I'm just saying some people feel more co dissent chugging a riff over a solo. They may feel more comfortable to get into the rhythm over lead.