• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The C Shape – Lesson 24

J

Jak Angelescu

I'll be uploading my personal video of how I practice this lesson later today and I cant wait! But I have a question, are "double-stops" ONLY notes adjacent to each other in an arpeggio position? For example, if I was to play E and A on the 2nd fret is that a 'double-stop'?

Reactions: idssdi

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
I'll be uploading my personal video of how I practice this lesson later today and I cant wait! But I have a question, are "double-stops" ONLY notes adjacent to each other in an arpeggio position? For example, if I was to play E and A on the 2nd fret is that a 'double-stop'?
A double stop is two notes played together, that's what Google says anyway. So I think really any two notes played together can be considered a double stop.

Reactions: Jak Angelescu

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    here is how I practice this lesson! Hopefully someone finds it helpful💖
    Bookmarked for when I arrive at that lesson!
    Also I often Heard "Double Stop" in the context of Metal Songs, Like those really dirty Double Stop bends. Which is mostly bending a Note while also playing a Note one String and fret Higher. Not Sure If this is helpful though 😅

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    the caged system is kicking my ass...i just cant get my head wrapped around it for some reason
    Go back and learn the chords on their own. C a g e d. If you didnt learn the chords before the system lessons you wont understand the shapes well enough to see the patterns.

It also helps to make notes or graph the shapes via tabs.

Reactions: John Robinson

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Go back and learn the chords on their own. C a g e d. If you didnt learn the chords before the system lessons you wont understand the shapes well enough to see the patterns.

It also helps to make notes or graph the shapes via tabs.
    I know the chords..i guess its just me..if i dont know the material like i think i should im not going to mark it complete because i will be cheating myself and i dont want to do that

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I know the chords..i guess its just me..if i dont know the material like i think i should im not going to mark it complete because i will be cheating myself and i dont want to do that
    I do the same. I got stuck on the m6 arpeggios cause I over complicated it. I had small issues at first. But if you take the first chord bar c.. and move the notes down a string.. you'll see the bar chord the notes create. Then do it again.. you'll see the next one. You'll eventually see how they spell caged. I dunno what else to say other then that. If you cant see the connections by the chords. Maybe you will by the note.

Ala one string down 5 frets up.

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    I do the same. I got stuck on the m6 arpeggios cause I over complicated it. I had small issues at first. But if you take the first chord bar c.. and move the notes down a string.. you'll see the bar chord the notes create. Then do it again.. you'll see the next one. You'll eventually see how they spell caged. I dunno what else to say other then that. If you cant see the connections by the chords. Maybe you will by the note.

Ala one string down 5 frets up.
    I see how they spell caged...i think its when papa gates plays the scales in the middle or something its just a little overwhelming..and maybe i am over complicating it and maybe i just wanted to blow off steam im not sure

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Honestly. Dont worry about scales right now. Just worry about the shapes. The scales are exactly what you said. To be honest? I dont know d major by heart. I know gminor much better. But as long as I follow the caged shapes under d major I dont really need the other notes. Imo those are the filler notes that add all the tension you are hearing about. If you srent at that stage I'd stick to the arpeggios. I'm pretty sure the pentatonic scale is in the arpeggios as it is so you already know it just by learning the shapes.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    I see how they spell caged...i think its when papa gates plays the scales in the middle or something its just a little overwhelming..and maybe i am over complicating it and maybe i just wanted to blow off steam im not sure

Here's my example. This is in c major 9ne step down on my guitar. But the shapes are the same as d major in standard tuning. Indidntnuse any other note then the caged system alone.

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Here's my example. This is in c major 9ne step down on my guitar. But the shapes are the same as d major in standard tuning. Indidntnuse any other note then the caged system alone.
    Thats sweet!! I know the shapes and practice them so they will be clean...now im trying to remember root notes and the notes on the strings....all this memorizing stuff is bullshit im old😀😀

Reactions: Ethan Keeling

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    The scales is really just finding the notes everywhere on the neck. I tend to go in and out of all of them when I'm soloing. For example the C major scale has the notes C D E F G A B, now find all the places on the neck where you can find these notes and that's the caged system for the C major scale. You can do this for any scale you want

I've been using the caged system for years and never knew it was called caged

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    The scales is really just finding the notes everywhere on the neck. I tend to go in and out of all of them when I'm soloing. For example the C major scale has the notes C D E F G A B, now find all the places on the neck where you can find these notes and that's the caged system for the C major scale. You can do this for any scale you want

I've been using the caged system for years and never knew it was called caged
    Ok now thats starting to make sense..thank you and@calvin phillips for your help

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.