• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The C Shape – Lesson 24

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I'd still honestly just worry about the shapes....memorize them. ...Remember them. And when you're confident start sliding in the pentatonic and major scales.even tho they all are ideally the same scales and notes the shapes seem to act different. If u try to learn them all at once your brain may overload and remember none. Take it slow and steady.

Reactions: John Robinson

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
Nashville tn.
I'd still honestly just worry about the shapes....memorize them. ...Remember them. And when you're confident start sliding in the pentatonic and major scales.even tho they all are ideally the same scales and notes the shapes seem to act different. If u try to learn them all at once your brain may overload and remember none. Take it slow and steady.
maybe thats the problem..im trying to do the caged system,the root notes,and the notes on each string..im pushing too hard..i just want to learn all that i can...thank you brother yall have helped me so much

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I used to do the same. Jak said just focus on one thing. So I did g minor scale. Now I know that scale by heart and can play any position I want. I cant tell you what every note is yet but i can tell you some.. and every g. (I'm also d standard so my g is your a).

Once I felt confident of g minor i switched it up to arpeggios. And how the blues have come out and have opened up diminished and m6 arpeggios. I have plenty of tricks to use now. But learning the basics helped figure out the others when I couldn't at the start changing scales every week.

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Just rewatched this lesson and I am starting to wonder about the importance of note choice. Do I really have to pay much attention to what I play between a note I start with and a note I land on? Sure thing, you may want to have save notes to start and end your phrases but do you even need to play notes that are within your arpeggio, scale or key? Because I think you can make everything work when you are just landing well. Might try that out some time

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Just rewatched this lesson and I am starting to wonder about the importance of note choice. Do I really have to pay much attention to what I play between a note I start with and a note I land on? Sure thing, you may want to have save notes to start and end your phrases but do you even need to play notes that are within your arpeggio, scale or key? Because I think you can make everything work when you are just landing well. Might try that out some time
    Kinda.. like there are so many possible substitutions over chords. It's more asking yourself what trick you wanna pull out of your sleeve.

I do remember pg saying you can slip in chromatics in his blues series. Youd have to pick your spots but I'd imagine you can slip chromatic and diminished scales anywhere you want if you ever get stuck. As long ss your landing note is one of the chord you really can do whatever you want to fit into the chord being played.

Reactions: Dominik Gräber

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    Yes and no

Basically there are chord tones, color tones and passing tones. Chord tones and color tones will always sound great when you throw them in. Passing tones are neither chord tones or color tones but they can work if you do them between two chord tone, a chord tone and a color tone etc. Two right after each other creates a sound that sounds off but one or two notes outside the key/scale every once in a while can sound really cool, take the b5 in the blues scale for example or when you mix modes this happens all the time.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Yes and no

Basically there are chord tones, color tones and passing tones. Chord tones and color tones will always sound great when you throw them in. Passing tones are neither chord tones or color tones but they can work if you do them between two chord tone, a chord tone and a color tone etc. Two right after each other creates a sound that sounds off but one or two notes outside the key/scale every once in a while can sound really cool, take the b5 in the blues scale for example or when you mix modes this happens all the time.
    Hmm yeah that makes sense. But I think it's likely to Sound good when you stay more or less within the shape of your scale / chord. Not too many "wrong" notes you can play there.

MFeldsher8883

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Jan 27, 2020
    Philadelphia PA
    well I think I am going to quit trying to learn this. This CAGED system thing lost me. I don't understand what is going on. I think I am going to have to try to find another way to learn guitar . I understand Spanish more then I do anything any of you guys or Papa Gates said . Do not think this is for me

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
    Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    well I think I am going to quit trying to learn this. This CAGED system thing lost me. I don't understand what is going on. I think I am going to have to try to find another way to learn guitar . I understand Spanish more then I do anything any of you guys or Papa Gates said . Do not think this is for me
    It's Not easy. It's Not easy to follow Papa Gates when you are totally new to this topic. I struggle with it too. But sticking with it can be really rewarding. As soon as you See the Connections between chords, Keys and how it all works together it gets easier. And more interesting.

Do you have any specific questions right now? We have tons of people who gladly help you Out :)

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Nov 11, 2019
    Groningen
    What Dominik said

I'm also trying to make a series that explains chords and how to use them and what makes CAGED important in case you're interested in that

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    If you're having problems with the chords go to the chord part before caged. Then when you get to caged the bar positions are easier to find and the dots will.be easier to connect. It's all about finding the same notes in a different spot on the guitar.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa

What specifically are you struggling with? Like the other guys said it's rewarding when it finally clicks. Didn't make sense to me the first time either. You gotta rewatch a few times, pause and practice based on the diagrams even when you don't understand what the hell he's talking about, Google shit, get frustrated, practice again, take a break, come back to the video and somehow it suddenly makes sense. Typically it happens in that order. Don't give up, tell us where you're struggling and someone here will explain what's the what.

Kai C

Nov 11, 2019
    Naha Okinawa
    Papa Gates has probably the best lessons out there, hands down.... If you are already have somewhat of a base line. The first time running through the beginners lessons I had to keep a Google tab open ready to look shit up at all times. I still feel like I'm working on my baseline so I haven't moved on to the intermediate lessons. If Syn says he's still a beginner, then I must not have even picked up the instrument yet. Fuck I love learning new things, man, it's so rewarding.