• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

Tube Amp VS Solid state.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
Nov 11, 2019
I had a spider 2 to start. Half digital. Then I got a peavey vyp 2. That had a huge chug for rhythm but not a great lead sound to me. Then again I barely played with it. Now I have that same peavey along with the spider 5.

Here's a thought.. take your digital amp and run it into the tube. I wonder how its sound.

Reactions: Alicia Willis
Synner Endless Summer Collection

Firsty Lasty

New Student
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah it is true that tube amps want to be loud af, but they can have great cleans at low volume and there's always pedals. A lot of modern tube amps have built in low-power modes or attenuation, a master volume knob, and an effects loop where you can put a volume pedal for extra signal reduction before the power amp. In the old days it was not as common for tube amps to have all three of these features. I always go through a -20db attenuator at home.

What you really sacrifice at quieter volumes with tube amps is you don't have as much freedom in trying to find "that sound". You can sound good, you can even sound great, but you can't carelessly crank all the knobs in search of perfection. You get what the amp gives you.

Dominik Gräber

Hot Topic Tourer
Contest Winner!
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Saarland
    www.instagram.com
    Yeah it is true that tube amps want to be loud af, but they can have great cleans at low volume and there's always pedals. A lot of modern tube amps have built in low-power modes or attenuation, a master volume knob, and an effects loop where you can put a volume pedal for extra signal reduction before the power amp. In the old days it was not as common for tube amps to have all three of these features. I always go through a -20db attenuator at home.

What you really sacrifice at quieter volumes with tube amps is you don't have as much freedom in trying to find "that sound". You can sound good, you can even sound great, but you can't carelessly crank all the knobs in search of perfection. You get what the amp gives you.
    Right, still hard having a minimalistic setup at home. And those tube amps are expensive (many at least). And then comes a cabinet and then a volume pedal? Then having a huge rack at home and not using it for it's whole potential seems like a waste of money. And many guitarists are mostly playing at home.
    I would still love to own one, but the setting has to allow for it :)

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Lexington, South Carolina
    That's kinda the fight for the ages. I have found qualities I seriously love in both, and I feel like a lot of the low-end GRUNT people praise tube amps for is EQ'd out in a mix.

Now, for the last few years, I have a solid state imitating tubes... So... What does that count as???
    The best of both worlds ? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Lol you’re a smart man Captain Ed !

Reactions: Ed Seith

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thing is, as I often heard it's hard to use a Tube AMP in a one room / bedroom Situation. Im Sure you can get incredible Sounds Out of them, but I need great Sounds at Low volumes. Never used anything Else than my 0.5 Watts setting on my Boss Katana 100 to this Date 😂
    I can see that. We have ours set up in our den it’s a fairly large room and it kind of echos a bit which I honeslty kind of love lol.

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Thanks for the feedback guys ! Like I said, we have both. I’ve played via the tube amp, the Katana, and even the bias fx thingy (yes it’s a thingy to me) hooked up vis my MacBook and speakers. Love the presets I can get via the MacBook setup, and love the cleaner tones in the katana....but something about the tube amp (Blackstar) just makes me happy lmao. Lol.

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Thing is, as I often heard it's hard to use a Tube AMP in a one room / bedroom Situation. Im Sure you can get incredible Sounds Out of them, but I need great Sounds at Low volumes. Never used anything Else than my 0.5 Watts setting on my Boss Katana 100 to this Date 😂
    My peavey will be at the lowest setting and it still rattles the walls.

Reactions: Alicia Willis

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Back in the olden days of "Solid State" it used to be no contest. Nowadays, you can go tubeless and get the same sound with a couple of nice pedals - which also solves your volume problems. I would go with a good "pedal friendly" amp and stay away from tubes.
    Any pedals in particular we should splurge for ? We have a noise gate, tube screamer, big muff (I love grunge 😃) and a wah....I’m not coordinated enough for the wah 😂😂😂

• Love
    Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.

John Robinson

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    Nashville tn.
    Back in the olden days of "Solid State" it used to be no contest. Nowadays, you can go tubeless and get the same sound with a couple of nice pedals - which also solves your volume problems. I would go with a good "pedal friendly" amp and stay away from tubes.
    Thats great advice i have a peavy vypr and cant use pedals...i guess my next one will be a line6

Brian Haner Sr.

Papa
    Staff member
    Legend+
    Fucking Legend
    Nov 11, 2019
    Any pedals in particular we should splurge for ? We have a noise gate, tube screamer, big muff (I love grunge 😃) and a wah....I’m not coordinated enough for the wah 😂😂😂
    Two of my fav pedals: TS & Big Muff. You can do a ton of damage with those two pedals. I'm old school so I love to throw some delay on my stuff. The nice thing about delay is that virtually every delay pedal does the same thing. If you want to splurge, you can go with an analog delay or a delay that mimics tape delay. Wampler has a great Tape Delay pedal. There are also lots of pedals out there that do multiple things - like the Strymon Mobius; chorus, flanger, Leslie, etc. Those are a ton of fun if you want to get some weird sounds or just thicken up the sound you already have. $$$
    You can quickly get stuck down the rabbit hole when it comes to pedals. I have about a hundred. lol

Alicia Willis

Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Two of my fav pedals: TS & Big Muff. You can do a ton of damage with those two pedals. I'm old school so I love to throw some delay on my stuff. The nice thing about delay is that virtually every delay pedal does the same thing. If you want to splurge, you can go with an analog delay or a delay that mimics tape delay. Wampler has a great Tape Delay pedal. There are also lots of pedals out there that do multiple things - like the Strymon Mobius; chorus, flanger, Leslie, etc. Those are a ton of fun if you want to get some weird sounds or just thicken up the sound you already have. $$$
    You can quickly get stuck down the rabbit hole when it comes to pedals. I have about a hundred. lol
    Thanks so much ! Gotta say, I love the fact that you love the big muff too ! 😍 also, it’s fun as hell to say...big muff....hehe...

I’ve actually been thinking about a down tune pedal. I’ve seen mixed reviews on them. Ya know my fender can’t handle anything lower than a drop D 😂 so I thought that could help.

Reactions: Brian Haner Sr.