• Join the A7X Discord!

We're updating the community and moving all social content from the community to the Discord. All lessons related conversations will still take place here though! Join the Discord below and view the full announcement for more details

JOIN THE DISCORD VIEW THREAD

CAGED System – The A Shape – Lesson 25

idssdi

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
Nov 11, 2019
Groningen
Yeah i know, but i meant as in how do i build a scale, how do i know what each note on the scale will be
Each fret you press is a note and each if these notes have a name. The first note of a scale is the roo so that's where you start. From there you take a whole-whole-half-whole-whole-whole-half in steps and you have yourself a major scale. For example C major is C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C

Now look at the intervals you have a root, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh which are all the major intervals and all the notes of the major scale.

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    Yeah i know, but i meant as in how do i build a scale, how do i know what each note on the scale will be

Ah gotcha! Look at what Ids said above, and also check out this video, it's how to memorize all 12 Major scales, which is something that will literally tell you every note in every Major Scale 😊 it's a must if you really want to understand what PG talks about in the lessons.
    It's also crucial to know the 'Musical Alphabet' and how notes are laid out on the Guitar, so you know why the Major Scales are spelled the way they are. I'm actually planning to make a video on it tomorrow so I'll link it in here 🤟

Reactions: idssdi

Leo The Gym Rat

Free Bird Player
    Nov 11, 2019
    Ah gotcha! Look at what Ids said above, and also check out this video, it's how to memorize all 12 Major scales, which is something that will literally tell you every note in every Major Scale 😊 it's a must if you really want to understand what PG talks about in the lessons.
    It's also crucial to know the 'Musical Alphabet' and how notes are laid out on the Guitar, so you know why the Major Scales are spelled the way they are. I'm actually planning to make a video on it tomorrow so I'll link it in here 🤟
    That absolutely helped me 100%, now i just have to memorize the fretboard LOL, thank you so much!

Chris Johnston

Music Theory Bragger
  • Nov 11, 2019
    North Ayrshire, Scotland
    That absolutely helped me 100%, now i just have to memorize the fretboard LOL, thank you so much!

Nice one man! and It's a lot easier than you think to memorize - you don't really have to memorize the whole thing like a big horrible Guitar diagram :ROFLMAO: there's a much easier way - I'll link my video once it's edited

Synner Endless Summer Collection

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    I'm a little confused. So if in the last lesson we we're in the key of D does that mean that this is also in the key of D since we just moved to the next shape?
    Yes exactly. Thats sort of the point of the CAGED system. It shows you how to play the same chord (In this case, the D chord) but in different shape. You will can notice that in this case because the lowest note of your chord is a D. This will help you in familiarizing yourself with the fretboard!

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    Yes exactly. Thats sort of the point of the CAGED system. It shows you how to play the same chord (In this case, the D chord) but in different shape. You will can notice that in this case because the lowest note of your chord is a D. This will help you in familiarizing yourself with the fretboa

Yes exactly. Thats sort of the point of the CAGED system. It shows you how to play the same chord (In this case, the D chord) but in different shape. You will can notice that in this case because the lowest note of your chord is a D. This will help you in familiarizing yourself with the fretboard!
    So does that also mean that these scales are only used in the key of D? I'm more confused on how the scales work.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    So does that also mean that these scales are only used in the key of D? I'm more confused on how the scales work.
    In the context of this exercise, yes. Because everything from the CAGED system lesson is done in the D scale just for the sake for consistency.

But let's take an exemple:

1 -5-
    2 -7-
    3 -7-
    4 -7-
    5 -5-
    6 ---

This is a D chord in A shape. You know its a D chord because the root note (5th fret, 5th string is a D) is a D. The A shape simply refers to the shape your finger takes which is alike the A chord taught at the very beginning. So on this chord, you would play the D pentatonic, Major scale because thats what works on it.

Now let's take raise it all by one fret:

1 -6-
    2 -8-
    3 -8-
    4 -8-
    5 -6-
    6 ---

This is an A shape stilll however its not a D anymore. it was raised by one fret. So now, its a D# in A shape. And now if you take a look at the pentatonic and major scale that play over this, you will simply notice that its the same pattern as previously only raised by one fret to adapt to the new note!

The CAGED system is not limited to one key. Papa gates uses the same key just for consistency. However, the CAGED system is a pattern that can be used in any key if applied correctly! Hope it helps!

Reactions: twk1995

Zesty Rage

Campfire Attention Holder
  • Sep 27, 2020
    Michigan City, IN
    In the context of this exercise, yes. Because everything from the CAGED system lesson is done in the D scale just for the sake for consistency.

But let's take an exemple:

1 -5-
    2 -7-
    3 -7-
    4 -7-
    5 -5-
    6 ---

This is a D chord in A shape. You know its a D chord because the root note (5th fret, 5th string is a D) is a D. The A shape simply refers to the shape your finger takes which is alike the A chord taught at the very beginning. So on this chord, you would play the D pentatonic, Major scale because thats what works on it.

Now let's take raise it all by one fret:

1 -6-
    2 -8-
    3 -8-
    4 -8-
    5 -6-
    6 ---

This is an A shape stilll however its not a D anymore. it was raised by one fret. So now, its a D# in A shape. And now if you take a look at the pentatonic and major scale that play over this, you will simply notice that its the same pattern as previously only raised by one fret to adapt to the new note!

The CAGED system is not limited to one key. Papa gates uses the same key just for consistency. However, the CAGED system is a pattern that can be used in any key if applied correctly! Hope it helps!
    Thanks thats actually a huge help man. Part of me kind of knew thats what was going on but I just needed to be sure of myself. Thanks so much!

• Love
    Reactions: Rad Synner

Jeremiah Cooper

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    I love these lessons. I've been playing for over 25 years, including playing lead guitar in a metal cover band back in my 20s, and these lessons are showing me that I have soooo much more room to grow. I haven't played much in the past 5 years so I was looking at this as a way to build my chops back up, but it's showing me that I wasn't as good as I thought I was when I was younger haha. Especially when it comes to writing my own solos. I was always locked into one position on the guitar and these lessons are hopefully going to help me break free from that! I just want to say thank you to both Brians. This site is such a tremendous gift in the way it gives back to the music community.

Styrax_Benzoin

Stairway to Heaven Tab Studier
    Oct 29, 2020
    Wales
    I love these lessons. I've been playing for over 25 years, including playing lead guitar in a metal cover band back in my 20s, and these lessons are showing me that I have soooo much more room to grow. I haven't played much in the past 5 years so I was looking at this as a way to build my chops back up, but it's showing me that I wasn't as good as I thought I was when I was younger haha. Especially when it comes to writing my own solos. I was always locked into one position on the guitar and these lessons are hopefully going to help me break free from that! I just want to say thank you to both Brians. This site is such a tremendous gift in the way it gives back to the music community.
    Same here. I'd been playing for 18 years but the last 3 I'd not really played. Come back to basics for a refresher and never heard of the caged system. I sort of knew how to change positions like between the major and relative minor for playing lead but that was about it. This lesson is fantastic and I can see now how adding all these shapes will help unlock the whole fretboard! I don't want to rely on shapes too much though. I do know all of my notes on the fretboard but it's hard to improvise fast and keep track of being in key especially with lots of accidentals. I think having this caged system as a scaffolding to fall back on will be a major help!

Jeremiah Cooper

Garage band Groupie
    Nov 11, 2019
    Same here. I'd been playing for 18 years but the last 3 I'd not really played. Come back to basics for a refresher and never heard of the caged system. I sort of knew how to change positions like between the major and relative minor for playing lead but that was about it. This lesson is fantastic and I can see now how adding all these shapes will help unlock the whole fretboard! I don't want to rely on shapes too much though. I do know all of my notes on the fretboard but it's hard to improvise fast and keep track of being in key especially with lots of accidentals. I think having this caged system as a scaffolding to fall back on will be a major help!
    Agree! Once it can become second nature and not something that we have to consciously think about, it's going to open up a world of possibilities!

Jammydizzel

Free Bird Player
    May 1, 2021
    England
    This was super frustrating at first because it felt like I was just going up and down the scale shapes not making music. Then I noticed the "Syn's tips" bit under the C shape lesson mentioned playing to a backing track rather then blasting through all the theory. So I've been trying to play little improvised pentatonic things over a backing track using these shapes, occasionally throwing in extra notes from the full major scale. It sounded really janky at first (and still kind of does) but that's just because I'm new to it and I'm still working on my picking and speed and string skipping.

The thing with these lessons is to remember that what he's teaching you is just a tool you can use to make music. But it's your responsibility to then go and try to use that tool. I know I'm probably stating the obvious but it didn't seem obvious to me at first, so hopefully this helps someone.

Rad Synner

Sold-out Crowd Surfer
    Staff member
    Legend+
  • Nov 11, 2019
    Montreal
    This was super frustrating at first because it felt like I was just going up and down the scale shapes not making music. Then I noticed the "Syn's tips" bit under the C shape lesson mentioned playing to a backing track rather then blasting through all the theory. So I've been trying to play little improvised pentatonic things over a backing track using these shapes, occasionally throwing in extra notes from the full major scale. It sounded really janky at first (and still kind of does) but that's just because I'm new to it and I'm still working on my picking and speed and string skipping.

The thing with these lessons is to remember that what he's teaching you is just a tool you can use to make music. But it's your responsibility to then go and try to use that tool. I know I'm probably stating the obvious but it didn't seem obvious to me at first, so hopefully this helps someone.
    Beautifully said. I agree 100%!

Zeuspot

Music Theory Bragger
    Sep 24, 2021
    So this question is for CAGED in general. Is it correctly understood that (in this case) he plays a D-major Chord, therefor it is also an D major scale, but a B minor pentatonic scale? and also, it is with The A-shape. So if I were to take this shape, move it two freets up (moving the root from D to C) it would now be a C-major chord?

TL;DR, the Chord shape comes with a package (chord, major scale, minor pentatonic and an arpeggio), but the shape is either C, A, G, E or D? The patterns doesn't chance depending on what chord i want to play, but from shape to shape?

Attachments

• MajorScaleAllPositions.png
      MajorScaleAllPositions.png
      12.5 KB · Views: 188

Calvin Phillips

Music Theory Bragger
    Nov 11, 2019
    This last two lessons just made to undressed nothing
    Did you not understand the lesson? Maybe go back and learn the chords again and come back to this. It's easier when you play the chords out because the chords are what tell the story. Each chord literally plays into the next one. It took me a long time to connect all the dots too.

danielgh31

Music Theory Bragger
    Jan 30, 2020
    Did you not understand the lesson? Maybe go back and learn the chords again and come back to this. It's easier when you play the chords out because the chords are what tell the story. Each chord literally plays into the next one. It took me a long time to connect all the dots too.
    yesterday I wanted to do the lesson fast and didn’t pay enough attention, today I did it again and understood what was going on, thank you.